Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICE and Gilmore A/C systems.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

I've been trying to find a picture of either system installed in a curved windshield Super, and neither company has one (at least not a very good one). If someone is running either system, could you please post a pic of what the underdash unit looks like? And, your thoughts on your system? The latest info I can find here at the Samba is over a year old, and I was looking for any fresh input. I will be putting a system in a stock 75 Super convertible with a stock 73 motor. Thanks!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Check out the gilmore site

https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
Check out the gilmore site

https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/
Thanks, I've looked through their site, but what I asked for was a decent pic of the unit installed in a curved windshield Super. There is only one pic, and it's a crappy one, on their site. I just wanted to see what the unit looked like installed inside the car.
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

the gilmore evaporator is mounted in the trunk. you then run three hoses into the interior by drilling large holes about 3"each. the center vent in the dash is used and you attach two new vents under the right and left dash. Thats all thats in the interior: hoses and vents.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Weezle wrote:
the gilmore evaporator is mounted in the trunk. you then run three hoses into the interior by drilling large holes about 3"each. the center vent in the dash is used and you attach two new vents under the right and left dash. Thats all thats in the interior: hoses and vents.
Thanks. It's obviously different from other underdash units I've seen before-maybe the first units offered were a one piece unit that went from side to side. This sounds much less intrusive.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Weezle wrote:
What are your thoughts about the Gilmore system? I'm glad to hear that it takes up so little room inside the cabin because like you I'm over 6 feet tall and 230 pounds, so every inch counts in there! Also like you I live in Florida, so even with a convertible I want a/c in the car when it's done. I really appreciate your reply, and I remember your Forrest thread back when you did it originally. Thanks again.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

This looks like the said system that has been re-branded. It shows the inside vents better.

https://www.autoware.com.au/shop/ac-parts-accessor...5-a-c-kit/
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

infiniteLoop wrote:
This looks like the said system that has been re-branded. It shows the inside vents better.

https://www.autoware.com.au/shop/ac-parts-accessor...5-a-c-kit/
Thanks! It's hard to believe that the vents are so small. I know the older units went all the way, from side to side, across the bottom of the dash, using up what little room was already there.
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Mark 75 Super Convertible wrote:
Thanks! It's hard to believe that the vents are so small. I know the older units went all the way, from side to side, across the bottom of the dash, using up what little room was already there.

Here’s my original DPD system - mounted under the dash. The nice thing is nothing is mounted in the trunk, so I don’t loose any storage space.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

I actually think DPD units are the best. Were made in San Antonio, Texas, a very hot part of the country in or around 1975. Our dealership installed MANY of them in the 1970s............really about 80% of new vehicles were sold with a DPD unit inside.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Does anyone know the specific compressor that is used on the air cooled vw kits? All of the Domestic auto kits have the swash plate.Toyota's have the scroll which is the best. I have seen old vane styles in pictures but as far as trying to ID a rotary for retro fit I can't find a maker. Panasonic supposedly made them at some point in time.

Edit: I found a maker of rotary vanes.

http://www.valeocompressors.com/en/dkv-series
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Beeble1 wrote:
Mark 75 Super Convertible wrote:

Here’s my original DPD system - mounted under the dash. The nice thing is nothing is mounted in the trunk, so I don’t loose any storage space.

That's different from the other unit I was thinking of-I've never seen that one. It looks the most factory of any of them.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

I found some vent parts at this site. Go down the page some and they have grill/louver holders.
[url]
http://www.vintageair.com/accessories/?subcat1=Louvers&subcat2=Under%20Dash%20Panels [/url][/url]
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

I went with the ICE system as it seemed better integrated and does not take up any trunk space. It was a job to install it, but it works great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
I went with the ICE system as it seemed better integrated and does not take up any trunk space. It was a job to install it, but it works great.

Wow that looks amazing. [Found the link http://iceautoair.com/]

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

Thank you. It works quite well, too-puts out plenty of cold air.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
Thank you. It works quite well, too-puts out plenty of cold air.
no components in the trunk? Wow! Great looking install, and I love your interior!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
chicagovw wrote:

Wow that looks amazing. [Found the link http://iceautoair.com/]
I was just reading the installation specs. Can a car with your a/c system be lowered? Is yours lowered?
pshupe1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: ICE and Gilmore A/C systems. Reply with quote

I live in Florida and have a 71 Super. I found an a/c company in Largo, FL near Clearwater. Coldmasters.com. They have kits of every description and one suited for a bug at around $600.00 - 202 model I believe.. That does not include the compressor mounting bracket and extra pulley that I bought from Gilmore for $249 - compressor & $129 for the pulley and belt. So my total was about $900. I picked up the kit so no shipping etc. It has the Sanden type compressor, plug in wiring, hoses, dryer, condenser ( I am making the aluminum frame like Gilmore's picture), and the evaporator fits nicely under the center dash and all the bolts and hose fittings. My evaporator is only about a little over a foot wide. Believe it will do fine. Gilmore sent to their install instructions PDF too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: