Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Our wiring is old, is it the wires for the connection or part itself ?

Over the years I can't tell you the amount of timest, but after 40 years of i know I better mark with I did.

I am much better with electronic then I was 40 years ago but the young Joe Cali rears up and bites the old Joe Cali once in a while.

Today was a simple fix, a guy on a bike stopped me and said my drivers side Brake light was out. Took out the bulb, it was fine ( that sucked ), now the wiring. No volts.

It went in old Joe spider web of wires. Last year I redid the wires to the Passenger side, it was l working it was the same blood type, so I ran a wire front that side to the other. Done.

So Now my web has more dead wires.

This is what happens when use a bug as your main transportation and you have to hack it to get to work.

I did the hacking to a Sqbk and years later sold the car. 6 months later the guy calls me up and he is having electrical problems and no mechanic will touch it.

He brought it over and retraced i my steps.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I'm lucky and the wiring on my 74 is 99% original and not butchered.

The only modifications were wiring for the gauge dash lights and the addition of a long gone CB radio.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The only modifications were wiring for the gauge dash lights and the addition of a long gone CB radio.

Gen 1 cell phone!
Did ya have the super tall whip antenna mounted too?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Gen 1 cell phone!
Did ya have the super tall whip antenna mounted too?

I had a 1/4 wave mounted to the front bumper (away from the engine)

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I had the 1/4 wave on the rear bumper-- changed bumpers since.
quite a difference.

I Loved CB for getting to work from Rockland County across the GW bridge and down the West Side Highway.

Who ever was on the GW Bridge would give a traffic report, that location would get you at least 30 miles up the Hudson.

BTW I as IRON MAN !!!

There was a guy that lived near the GW and Jamming the air with profanity was his enjoyment. The more we gave him hell the worse he got.

Had to use code words to signal the guy to move to another channel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Glenn we may have talked.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Glenn we may have talked.

Might of, I was on single sideband mostly.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Yep Single sideband did eliminate the crap and traveled a greater distance.

I was stuck with CB because most of the guys that traveled with me used it.

The GPS of the 70,s

CB was great because 20 guys were are during the rush hour, the response to a jam was instant.

Ever notice when you get the report of jam on GPS all the cars put on their signal and get off the next exit. Which creates another jam.

Not on CB, not everyone had it.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I was Chickenman. In high school the CB got popular, again. I had a fire stick on the rear aluminum bumper of my Vega. Met, a lot people on the CB. I have a stack of mobile and base stations in the garage that I refuse to get rid of.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I also have 2 small mobile sets in my garage with the small emergency antennas.

All these conspiracy theories going around, ha, the worst you hold in your hand.

The Cell phone. I like the one that getting the virus injection you can be tracked by a small chip in the serum. Maybe Aliens can do that but, we are no were near that technology.

The Cell phone is amazing for the good it can do, the problem is we are wiling to give it all all our info with out even thinking about it.

I work with guys that design software for the elevator industry.

They say the software is pushed to the extremes because everyone wants faster speeds, video games, etc

All that and no long term testing of any future problem of hacking. Just get it out.

Don't worry about some one stealing your credit card info or your Social Security number. They got it already

Talk about cashless society, parking meters in some areas you need your credit car or cell phone, instead of cash.

Think of all things you need your cell phone and just do it with out thinking of what you are giving away.

Wireless hacking a the coffee shop is one.

Oh and the damage from 5G to your brain.

Taking CB -- Talking 5G the antennas are like 10" so there are alot more because the range is is much less.

That is one of the reasons I keep my CB 1 for me and the other for my family.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

On side band, I could easily talk to Texas from NJ. Texas was a big skip state for side band. I actually don’t have an antenna and I’m curious if there is a CB crowd around here. I’m in Maryland now. Someone told me that you can monitor the CB online. Also, used to talk to and go to Static Island(Staten Island) a lot. Not sure if Glenn could reach down there.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Any of these old cars i just put in a new harness.
Forces you to clean connections and check each wire.

POs do all kinds of hacks, especially my younger self. Embarassed

What’s That Noise?!?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Clatter you are 100% right but when you don't have the time, hacking gets you back and forth to work.

BTY it is not only the wires and their connectors that corrode it is also the original VW plastic multi connectors that are also corroded.

Single carb cars are much e to work on then duals
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I had a bay once that had had been hacked so bad in the engine compartment I finally cut the harness a few inches after it came into the compartment. I spent the better part of a day with a soldering iron rewiring everything back there. Pain in the ass to be sure, but I never had another electrical problem back there as long as I owned the vehicle.

I was also lucky to have access to a shop with spools of different color/gauge wire to do this in.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

When it gets into the Computerized Ignition systems then it really gets tricky.

Unlike when you had a single coil and a set of points.

With the brakes it can also be the switch on the master cylinder.

The Key switch on the car can be another problem. Heavy bunch of keys bouncing around on rough roads for years wear out the key switches.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I have done lots of "bypasses" on machines and cars
but
On my 1960 I have not had any problem with the wires themselves.
Maybe routing them through the roof rather than the floor works better?
Would be interesting to see if others have noted the same.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Modok, I am one step ahead of you on mounting. I removed anything that will hold moisture, no carpets, or headliner etc.

I have wires to a row off Led's that are for my 3rd brake light in the rear and more to my antenna on the roof, that I don't use because of all the sound deading I removed, I can't hear the radio.

My roof is black with Autozone chrome strips, love it and you can see the wires to the Led's and the antenna

Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I ran thick walled vinyl tubing down from the front fenders thru the header ducts to the back of the car. I then ran the same hose from under the back seat back to the engine bay. I ran (12) 14 gauge wires and a battery feed from the battery to the front of the car. Allowed me to run everything i wanted to. All wiring is 14 gauge or bigger.

You can see the vinyl hose on the right and left of the pic. Left side fuse block is the "powered on" and the right is the "always on", with relay between them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:

With the brakes it can also be the switch on the master cylinder.

I once bypassed the master cylinder switch by screwing an an aftermarket horn button to the brake pedal. I ran the wires through the floorboards and it somehow passed inspection.

Later I put a toggle switch in under the dash that switched the brake button back and forth between the horn and brake lights. Kind of a hillbilly car alarm.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Don Jones wrote:
I ran thick walled vinyl tubing down from the front fenders thru the header ducts to the back of the car. I then ran the same hose from under the back seat back to the engine bay. I ran (12) 14 gauge wires and a battery feed from the battery to the front of the car. Allowed me to run everything i wanted to. All wiring is 14 gauge or bigger.

You can see the vinyl hose on the right and left of the pic. Left side fuse block is the "powered on" and the right is the "always on", with relay between them.

If I may ask, just what does all that wiring power up, and do you tow a generator to supply power to everything that seems to be wired into system?

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: