Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early oval window latch bracket
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Early oval window latch bracket Reply with quote

Hi guys, my 54 oval doesn't have the original vent window latch brackets that keep them closed. Do they are the same as post 56 brackets or are they special for ribbed doors?

Thanks in advance

Alberto

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Early oval window latch bracket Reply with quote

The part that is screwed to the door (in the channel) is different in ribbed doors than for 1956 and later. There is no flared out lip on the early ones

I think they do not mix and match with the latch, meaning if you have a 54 latch you need a 54 bracket, but the opposite will work (late latch with any bracket). Or of course late latch with late bracket.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Early oval window latch bracket Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
The part that is screwed to the door (in the channel) is different in ribbed doors than for 1956 and later. There is no flared out lip on the early ones

I think they do not mix and match with the latch, meaning if you have a 54 latch you need a 54 bracket, but the opposite will work (late latch with any bracket). Or of course late latch with late bracket.

If you have the broken-off '54 latch, swapping the handle onto the much-stronger '56-'64 base is a fairly simple task.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Early oval window latch bracket Reply with quote

Do you have photos of the bracket dissasembled? I don't know if I can use later ones on ribbed doors. If not, I will try to find the original ones used

Also my car has later style window latches, I can replace the moving part to convert it to early style too

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Early oval window latch bracket Reply with quote

PM me for a pair...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: