Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight gaskets
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Headlight gaskets Reply with quote

I'm a little confused as to how these string-like gaskets go on my son's '72 Ghia convertible. I've installed the headlights and trim rings - doesn't seem to be a place to put them - do they go under the trim ring so as not to show at all? And what holds them in place?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These can be pesky to install. I did it like this;
_Before installing the trim ring place the trim ring seal over the tab at the top of the headlight opening.
_Secure the rest of the seal to the opening with masking tape at the following positions; 1:00-3:00-5:00-7:00-9:00 and 11:00. Do not attempt to stretch the seal as it is joined at the ends and will break.
_Place the trim ring into position and screw it down but not tight. Manipulate the seal into position using a non-marring tool such as wood or nylon.
_Once you have the seal into position tighten the screw and cut the masking tape with a razor where it exits the trim ring.
It takes alot of patience to get it into place. It took me about an hour per side Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the gasket show, Kingkarman? Or is it to be sealing under the headlight rim such that it is not noticeable?
awj_woody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had pretty much the same problem. they look odd and the hole has only a small raised lip. mine are just sitting in the garage on the floor untill i buy another headlight.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the headlight buckets have been replaced incorrectly, you wont be able to use the seals. Crying or Very sad
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: trim ring seals Reply with quote

after instruction from vince and about 6 hours of frustration i gave up on the new seals. i bought some self stick foam rubber tape in 1/2" width and cut it in half to 1/4" width. i cut it long enough to easily wrap around the bucket, stuck it to the rim and put on the trim. i still have the new seals and will gladly send them for free to any self hating person who wants them.
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Laughing Laughing Laughing Too funny, Dave.
Yes, the headlight seals can be a real biatch to install
and it takes tons of patience to get them looking good.

Some times, you'll find not enough lip protruding
at the front of the headlight bucket due to marginal body
repairs in that area (usually involving body filler) or even
a chrome headlight ring that just doesn't fit quite right.
Naturally, that makes the seal fitting that much more difficult.

FWIW, the advice given by KGP&R is to use small drops of
Super Glue to hold the seal in place while fitting. Up until now,
we haven't had to resort to the glue method. If you can spend
an hour or less per side to install the seals, consider it a
small victory.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed stanley wrote:
Does the gasket show, Kingkarman? Or is it to be sealing under the headlight rim such that it is not noticeable?

The edge of the gasket should be visible around the perimiter of the trim
ring.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.
flat4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (black) Part No 08008/051135. If you or someone else decide to do the same make sure to mask around the headlight first, so that you dont get any adhesive on the outside of where the gasket will sit. Does that make any sense? Shocked Hmmm... Well I didnt Embarassed so I had to clean some adhesive off once the light was assembled, which you ofcourse should avoid Wink

// Pat!
gcw804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: headlight gasket nightmares Reply with quote

I went through the nightmare of doing some headlight wiring and of course I had to try and reset the gasket. After reading several hints, I used blue painters tape, and it worked like a charm. I put it on the outside of the little ridge on the gasket and placed it pretty much all the way around the headlight. See the first picture.

During: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1339259.jpg

Then I tightened the mounting screw up and manipulated the gasket in place if it needed it.

After: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1339258.jpg

You can see the gasket is pretty even all the way around.

It took about twenty minutes.

Good Luck!
Gary
[/i][/b]
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Beetle Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
69_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

This is how I did it. Worked like a charm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ebatters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

This gasket looks smaller and better made..shape/definition...than what I have. Do you remember where you got them?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

If the one you have goes right on and is loose or sloppy, most likely it is incorrect. Believe me, almost everyone on here, including me, has complained about how difficult these are to get on and stay on because they are so tight and want to roll back. Like in the pic above, I pre-placed some tape as shown, laid on some adhesive, and rolled the tape over the gasket sticking it to the other side. Work your way around the headlight, leave the tape on for a day or so to confirm it is dry, remove tape, clean up mess of extra adhesive, fit headlight ring, and you should be good to go.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

^^^^ That's the method. Applause Tape, glue and cure time.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

Well apparently it wasn't "Just Me" - Got this Ghia already "body work" and "Paint" done, needed wiring and interior.....but yesterday while working on the interior (cleaning, painting pans - look at my other post) I took a break and looked at the front headlights (which I didn't put in) - They just seemed "not right", so I thought well let me take them apart and put them together the "right way" - MISTAKE - Ring didn't fit right, rubber gasket fell out, can't get back it. nothing seems to fit correctly. That little "take a break" ended up in being 1/2 day "Pain In The......." - Anyway read some post, tips and now I'm more confused - anybody know of a video out there showing installation? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

Confused about the ring or the gasket? Try posting some pics of the ring or the mounts in the headlight bucket, might make it easier to provide help, or more confusion, your choice!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

I will; was just doing some computer work and google Ghia installation head lights, seen the old text and thought I'd reach out, and share in the "problem" - I'll snap some pics and we'll go from there, thanks.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight gaskets Reply with quote

OK; here are some quick pics; I put it back together and right now don't want to take it apart; so what you are seeing in the pics is how I got the Ghia - remember, this was painted and was slowly being put back together when the previous owner just go overwhelmed, so I am finding some things that , I believe just wasn't done right - Pics description:

First: The reason why I thought to take them apart is in the one pic you see the headlight ring - the one that supports - hold the light in extending out of the chrome ring - now I'm not sure if that is how it is suppose to look, stick out as you adjust the beam, but it just didn't look right - let me know.

Second: The picture of the rubber ring; when I took one apart this fell out and I just could see, remember, get it back in.

So that is where I am at with these lights.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: