Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjacaruso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Hello. I have a 1978 Bus. I put in a rebuilt tranny but can't get it to shift correctly. I can get all gears to work but only if I make adjustments to the shift lockout plate. Once I get 2 or 3 gears to work, then others barely work. Reverse works fine but often when I go for 2nd gear I get the grinding letting me know I am trying to shift into reverse while moving forward. I notice a lot of the pieces associated with the shift lever, front shift linkage, little pin inside the ball of the lever, and shift plate are worn. Of particular concern is the end of the shift lever. It has a flat spot which I don't think should be there. See the photo. I can weld, grind, and file to fix these things but I mainly wonder if anyone knows if that shift lever flat spot is supposed to be there or due to wear. The flat spot rides against the reverse lockout tab on the lockout plate.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

You need to weld repair that plus make sure that your forward shift rod bushing is good. That flat spot happens because there wasn’t enough grease.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

I'd weld that as Gary said, replace the front bushing if it is gone, check the shift coupler and try again. If that fails it is pull the trans and replace the donut inside the selector. Install the metal plate at the same time.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

I found this forum post to be very helpful:

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=18781

Quote:
If you are having problems with:

1st gear - Adjust the shifter back

1st and 2nd - Adjust the shifter to the right

2nd gear - Adjust the shifter forward

1st and 3rd - Adjust the shifter adjust to the back

2nd and 4th - Adjust to the front

3rd - Adjust back

3rd and 4th - Adjust left

4th - Adjust forward

Reverse: adjust the shifter right or front; but just a little. Reverse could be an internal transmission problem.

igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

A year ago I went through the same issue. I had mine welded then I shaped it. Also, I returned the aftermarket junk I had ordered. Back in business. Cost about $10.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Yep. It won’t work well with that flat spot.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I found this forum post to be very helpful:

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=18781

Quote:
If you are having problems with:

1st gear - Adjust the shifter back

1st and 2nd - Adjust the shifter to the right

2nd gear - Adjust the shifter forward

1st and 3rd - Adjust the shifter adjust to the back

2nd and 4th - Adjust to the front

3rd - Adjust back

3rd and 4th - Adjust left

4th - Adjust forward

Reverse: adjust the shifter right or front; but just a little. Reverse could be an internal transmission problem.

On this when it says adjust shifter are you just adjusting the plate or physically moving the shifter a bit and tightening down again?

On mine I can shift 1, 2, 3, 4 up goes fine all nice and smooth. If I come to a stop and back in N gear I can shift up to 1st fine but not into second.

I have to goto reverse then 1, 2, 3, 4 works fine again. It also will not down shift from say 3 down to 2, I have to stop, reverse then I can go 1 to 2.

Once in 4th I can downshift to 3rd fine also so Im assuming its the plate that still needs to be moved on mine?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Have you done anything with the coupler at the nose of the transmission?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Have not inspected it yet, we just got the bus back about 3,000 miles ago and they did adjust and inspect the shifter assembly when reassembled. They rebuild the 091 transmission at that time.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you are sort of hijacking this old thread, not in an inconsiderate way, but rather wondering if the things in this thread might be your problem. It also sounds like 3000 miles ago it worked fine - is this correct, or has it never worked right since you got it back? It might be worth your while to start your own thread on the problem so not to confuse people that everything written prior in the thread is you.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Clementine79 wrote:
......... about 3,000 miles ago a.........

Sounds like just about enough time for a grub screw to work loose, or a cage to become detached at the weld from some aggressive noobie shift work.

Sounds like something moves, and by going to reverse you reset it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
It sounds to me like you are sort of hijacking this old thread, not in an inconsiderate way, but rather wondering if the things in this thread might be your problem. It also sounds like 3000 miles ago it worked fine - is this correct, or has it never worked right since you got it back? It might be worth your while to start your own thread on the problem so not to confuse people that everything written prior in the thread is you.

Yes it worked fine when we picked up, for about 4 months or so we came to a stop and it would not go into gear, I did adjust the plate at that time and it has worked fine ever since, then developed this issue about a week ago. I will take a gander under the bus next time I have a chance to see if anything looks off.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Clementine79 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Yes it worked fine when we picked up, for about 4 months or so we came to a stop and it would not go into gear, I did adjust the plate at that time and it has worked fine ever since, then developed this issue about a week ago. I will take a gander under the bus next time I have a chance to see if anything looks off.

As BD mentioned the cage part of the shift coupling can come loose from the hub and cause shifting problems. Even a tiny amount of movement here can cause problems and the problems can appear suddenly. The solution is the weld the cage to the hub so there is zero relative movement.
Rooikop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Newbie here (to a Bus - I've had a 66 Type 1 for nearly 20 years): I'm confused by the references to "the cage part of the shift coupling" plus welding it to "the hub". I've just replaced the shift bushings and rear coupling but don't recognise either of these 2 bits ...............

Anyone help me understand?

I'm having terrible shift issues, and have to double de-clutch for every gear change. This is OK on the move (2/3/4 and 4/3/2) but getting into 1st at any time but especially when stationary is a complete b**ch! I'll try the advice above about pushing the plate forward a bit and see if that helps, but I'm at my wit's end trying to get this sorted out. Currently nobody else in my family wants to drive it, things are so difficult ............

PS: the shift lever is fitted with a low-throw plate and together with the other maintenance I've done things do feel quite tight (in a good way). But even a 1971 Bus has to have a better shift arrangement than this!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Rooikop wrote:
Newbie here (to a Bus - I've had a 66 Type 1 for nearly 20 years): I'm confused by the references to "the cage part of the shift coupling" plus welding it to "the hub". I've just replaced the shift bushings and rear coupling but don't recognise either of these 2 bits ...............

I'm having terrible shift issues, and have to double de-clutch for every gear change. This is OK on the move (2/3/4 and 4/3/2) but getting into 1st at any time but especially when stationary is a complete b**ch! I'll try the advice above about pushing the plate forward a bit and see if that helps, but I'm at my wit's end trying to get this sorted out. Currently nobody else in my family wants to drive it, things are so difficult ............

PS: the shift lever is fitted with a low-throw plate and together with the other maintenance I've done things do feel quite tight (in a good way). But even a 1971 Bus has to have a better shift arrangement than this!

Sounds like your pilot bearing (gland nut) is shot, or maybe your clutch lining is failing.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

what Mike said - pilot bearing or warped clutch lining. How does it shift when the engine is off?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Rooikop wrote:

stolen from the gallery. shift coupling/cage
Rooikop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Thanks guys - always good to learn.

So what plan of attack? In order:

1. Keep trying to adjust shift lever. [Also worth trying without short throw kit?]
2. Drop engine and inspect the clutch plate / replace if worn.
3. Inspect Gland Nut and bearing / replace if worn. [I've seen several comments on-line saying these things are pretty bullet proof and rarely are an issue ........... Can I ask what makes you go for this as the cause?]

I don't mind working on the Bus (its a hobby, after all) but there are limits to my time. I really don't want to do more than I have to.

Regards
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Does the transmission shift Ok when the engine is off? If the answer is yes then the problem is likely with the pilot bearing or a warped clutch disk. How does the freeplay feel? If there is too much freeplay that can cause it too. Another rare issue is that the driven disk can be too tight on the input shaft splines and not free to move. Did you dust the input shaft with some moly dust like the manual calls for, or a little high temp grease? Does it slide easily?

If the answer is that it still doesn't shift correctly when the engine is off then the issue could be in the shifter or the transmission.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting shift lever and lock out plate Reply with quote

Rooikop wrote:

3. Inspect Gland Nut and bearing / replace if worn. [I've seen several comments on-line saying these things are pretty bullet proof and rarely are an issue ........... Can I ask what makes you go for this as the cause?]

About half the VW transaxles I have pulled over the years have had damaged input shafts from the pilot bearings having failed at some point in the past. In IMO the pilot bearing should be replaced whenever you have access if the bearing has more than 50K miles on it. The cost is like $10 for a new bearing so you are far from breaking the bank by replacing it.

As far as time, 15ish years ago, I lost a pilot bearing while out on the road far from home in my old '74 T2. I started ripping things apart at 8:00am and by twelve noon I was ready for the road with a new pilot bearing, new clutch, and new rear main and tranny input seals, so we are not talking a lot of time here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: