Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600cc Pressure Plate Types
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wchvojka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: 1600cc Pressure Plate Types Reply with quote

I am rebuilding my engine and decided now would be a good time to replace the clutch. I am moving away from the rigid type clutch to the spring type clutch made by Sachs. I am keeping the existing pressure plate since I believe it is still relatively new.

My question is, does it matter wether or not I have a "collar" type plate or "non-collar" type plate for the new spring clutch? The one I have now is a Non-collar type plate.

Next question, which one of these plates would have been stock on a T1 71 Super Beetle 1600cc engine?

Thanks

"Like the twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream, go with the flow."
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Pressure Plate Types Reply with quote

The collar is removable.

If.your current doesn't have a collar you need to remove it on the new one.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Pressure Plate Types Reply with quote

You can use a sprung or unsprung disc with either type of pressure plate, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is you match the pressure plate type to the correct type throwout bearing and associated bits.

1971 was the last year to use the collar type pressure plate, VW went to the non-collar with the 1972 model.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Pressure Plate Types Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
You can use a sprung or unsprung disc with either type of pressure plate, it doesn't matter.

True for the most part. But the newer Sachs disk with the 4 bigger springs, rather than the 6 smaller ones, is
incompatible with the 3-arm pressure plates (with diaphragm or coil springs, thrust ring (collar) present or not).

mukluk wrote:
1971 was the last year to use the collar type pressure plate, VW went to the non-collar with the 1972 model.

I'm pretty sure 1970 was the last year for the pressure plates w/collar.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Pressure Plate Types Reply with quote

On the spring type clutch disc....I have had one of the springs let go. Also on the spring type take a close look, the spring type only has 3 rivits to transfer power. The rigit type has 8 rivits. Me personally would rather have more rivits sharing the power verses just 3 rivits. Look at the link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2481338

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Pressure Plate Types Reply with quote

Somewhere around 1971 the throwout bearing design was changed so the throwout bearing rides on a guide tube.
The collar is NOT used with this new design.
It can be identified visually be looking in the transmission.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600cc Pressure Plate Types Reply with quote

We have a dedicated topic on what pressure plate goes with each transmission.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148307

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: