Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Experience Drag Racing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Thanks for the videos guys.

Looked like a lotta fun.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Update: 10/9 came off the calendar but 10/23 is still on. I am currently planning on making 10/23.

Rustavenger, did you get your 1600 in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
Update: 10/9 came off the calendar but 10/23 is still on. I am currently planning on making 10/23.

Not yet. I better get to work this week! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:

As far as 10/9 goes, just as well - I have to take care of some business out of town this weekend.

Hopefully the rain can hold off until 10/23 - we'll see.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Went to the Friday night drags last night.

Frenchroast and 67rustavenger, my previous weekend plans got cancelled, and fearing rains in the coming weekends (bringing the end to our racing season), I decided yesterday afternoon at the last minute to go. My apologies for not sending you both an invite.

I made 7 passes, all in the 13s. I left at a lower RPM and dropped my time to a 13.60. I dropped my tire pressure a bit and managed a 13.53.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It started to get cold (low 50s in a Manx), so I made one more pass - a solo run. Saw the red light in the opposite lane, which threw off my RT, but ran another 13.53.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I can drop a little more time by dropping my shift RPM a little. That's my next tactic. Carbs and jets could use some tinkering.

I beat up on a couple of V8 cars on slicks, which was fun. Lost badly to a couple of modern hotrodded (11 second) Audis. Had a good time in any case.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Dude! You should have text me. I'd have come out and watched. Along with keeping M company.

What was in the left lane here?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2223859.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I'm done for the season. There are a few things that need attention on my 67. As you know! Cool

We'll reconvene the Saturday night peashooter race series in the spring time!

Any of you locals, as well as out of towners, are more than welcome to come join us in our peashooter race adventures here in Portland.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

I'm still on for the 23rd weather permitting and will text you all if I can get to a Friday nighter. Might make a main jet change but my focus next time out will be on consistency.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Thanks 67rustavenger! M would appreciate that I'm sure.

That was a lowered mid-2000s Subaru of some sort - I didn't see exactly what it was.
67rustavenger wrote:
Dude! You should have text me. I'd have come out and watched. Along with keeping M company.

What was in the left lane here?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2223859.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I'm done for the season. There are a few things that need attention on my 67. As you know! Cool

We'll reconvene the Saturday night peashooter race series in the spring time!

Any of you locals, as well as out of towners, are more than welcome to come join us in our peashooter race adventures here in Portland.

I'll keep the 23rd in mind, weather permitting. Friday nights generally don't work for me, but as we're running out of good weather soon, keep me posted.

frenchroast wrote:
I'm still on for the 23rd weather permitting and will text you all if I can get to a Friday nighter. Might make a main jet change but my focus next time out will be on consistency.

ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Well, just for grins, I took my "sweep the garage floor for an engine and put it in my rat bag project" and my friend's cell phone app and see what I can do. And before someone poo poo's my cell phone app, I live in the Yukon and that is the only option for a 1/4 mile for the next 800 miles any direction!!

So, the result of my one and only run was.........21.7@61 mph!! Pathetic. But consider the following:

The beetle is a 1970 standard sedan, abandoned in a hedge since 1989, with new tires and brakes, and nothing else. Two people, both well north of 200 pounds.

The engine? 1835 DP with stock end pieces, CB center section, original Solex carb with 28.5mm venturi, 8.5 compression, 1-3/8" header, Engle 100 cam, stock heads, 1.1 rockers, stock early 70's super beetle SVDA distributor(lighter springs, all in 3000 rpms) and nothing else. This engine has done years of service in a Westy and leaks oil like a sieve and has about 3/32" end play. No effort to dial it in and one run.

That was cheap fun.....

Chris
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

Does it usually feel peppy on the street? Because, that’s a stock beetle time. It’s probably the app. That combo could be anywhere from 17 down to 16’s in some cases.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

On the street it does feel fairly peppy, considering. It is pretty sporty in 1st and 2nd, but settles down to normal for the rest. My guess is that it would hit the 16-17 second range pretty easily. To repeat, ONE run, NO prior practice, TIRED engine, NO serious tuning effort, TWO heavy guys in it, no tach, etc, etc.

I have spent considerable time on the drag strip with V8 cars but this is my first attempt at a performance VW. This was just a quick and dirty way to have a bit more fun before the snow truly flies around here and I wanted to be able to get a feel for tuning and make sure everything worked, ie thermostat, manifold heat, etc. By next summer that engine will be freshened up and and I am expecting right around what you suggested, NJ John.

Thanks!

Chris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
On the street it does feel fairly peppy, considering. It is pretty sporty in 1st and 2nd, but settles down to normal for the rest. My guess is that it would hit the 16-17 second range pretty easily. To repeat, ONE run, NO prior practice, TIRED engine, NO serious tuning effort, TWO heavy guys in it, no tach, etc, etc.

I have spent considerable time on the drag strip with V8 cars but this is my first attempt at a performance VW. This was just a quick and dirty way to have a bit more fun before the snow truly flies around here and I wanted to be able to get a feel for tuning and make sure everything worked, ie thermostat, manifold heat, etc. By next summer that engine will be freshened up and and I am expecting right around what you suggested, NJ John.

Thanks!

Chris

I think the real question here is. Did you have fun trying to get the best out of your "Sweep the floor" engine performance testing?
Even without tuning it to optimum performance.

To my eyes. I'd say yes! Cool That's what counts.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: My Experience Drag Racing Reply with quote

And make your one heavy friend stand at the curb while you test. Lol
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: