Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See those KS and VW marks? Very Happy Can find that much more

I had to get more push rod tube seals and there was a slight difference

I also got the thermostat in place and hooked up along with those delfector tins.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Nice work.

Maybe someone can enlighten me but shouldn't the head studs be sticking through the bolts just a little?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Nice work.

Maybe someone can enlighten me but shouldn't the head studs be sticking through the bolts just a little?

Thanks!

I was still tightening it down in that picture so they went on more than that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
old_man wrote:
Nice work.

Thanks!

I was still tightening it down in that picture so they went on more than that

Yup, some of us get so busy that we forget to take pictures even with the camera out in the shop. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Well I got the engine in and running Rolling Eyes

I didn’t say running well. I ran out of time for the night but it isn’t running on the 3/4 cylinders. When I pull the plug wires off there is zero difference with those two off. I tested it and it appears to be getting power the the injector. I don’t know if my rebuilt injectors are bad or if something else is screwed up. I had spark, and I didn’t smell or see gasoline out the exhaust. No smoke either

Tomorrow I might try taking the injectors out on 3/4 and see if they are spraying.

I also adjusted valves before I put the engine in so I know the valves are working.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Here’s a video, a lot of the noise is the flapper on the air cleaner

Link

Edit, that is with the pedal to the floor with it wide open. Would not go any higher in speed and would die if you let off the gas and shook the car bad.
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Well I got the engine in and running Rolling Eyes

I didn’t say running well. I ran out of time for the night but it isn’t running on the 3/4 cylinders. When I pull the plug wires off there is zero difference with those two off. I tested it and it appears to be getting power the the injector. I don’t know if my rebuilt injectors are bad or if something else is screwed up. I had spark, and I didn’t smell or see gasoline out the exhaust. No smoke either.

Well, Cyl 3 & 4 has a common ground plug. Look for a brocken wire or bad connection.
But they are not spraying at the same time, because #4 and #1 are triggered at the same time and #2 & #3.

Good luck.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I found the issue Rolling Eyes x10 nothing I did wrong, nothing wrong with the wiring, nothing wrong with the ignition. Guess what it was?? My rebuilt injectors don’t even work :fist: I stuck a good injector into into all the wires, and used a junk distributor. Each lead, click. Hook it up to the rebuilt injectors

Click from cylinder 2 and that’s it Evil or Very Mad GB remanufacturing is getting a call sometime soon :fist:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Sometimes rebuilt injectors can get stuck closed.
Happens a lot, actually.

They only get 4V in use or some low number like that..

Jump a 9V battery across the terminals and see if you can't get them to click.

Once they start clicking they'll work as designed.

What’s That Noise?!?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Sometimes rebuilt injectors can get stuck closed.
Happens a lot, actually.

They only get 4V in use or some low number like that..

Jump a 9V battery across the terminals and see if you can't get them to click.

Once they start clicking they'll work as designed.

I might try that, if it doesn’t, then they will get a call for sure. But the also said they flow test after they rebuild them and this would say they didn’t do that.

Either way I got it running like normal and put 20-30 miles on it and it runs like usual. One of the original non-rebuilt injectors had a drip in it I noticed so I need to get that one swapped out eventually. I changed the oil after the drive. I will probably do a valve adjustment in the next few days and see how it looks.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

One week and a little over 500 miles in and it’s been good. I got 26mpg over two fill ups, about where it was at before. Today I got the rebuilt injectors working and put them in along with adjusting the fuel pressure to 28psi. Do you set it at idle? I will do a valve adjustment Wednesday or Friday and I will see how everything is doing. I haven’t heard any odd noises so far Laughing I’m happy to be driving the Squareback again. The beetle was getting exhausting

When I first got it going I lost front brakes because it ran out of brake fluid because there’s a small leak on the input line and I forgot to check it. d'oh! The rear brakes by themselves were only slightly worse that my beetles fully and properly functioning brakes Laughing so I went on a test drive for the brakes at night and slammed on the brakes hard for the first time. The headlights flash once, twice and went out and it’s pitch black Shocked it was on the high beams and I was able to switch it and get lows to stay on. But I bought a new headlight relay and it didn’t work Mad I took the old one apart and lubed it up and it was fine. Return the new relay and got my $33 back
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I finally uploaded some pictures from the last week, enjoy!

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Just a little update, closing in on 50k miles. My valve job is holding up well and it seems to have a bit more power.

Yesterday I hit a deer Embarassed it only broke a turn signal lens and the light bulbs. Luckily no costly damage or dents. I think the deers okay

Then here are just some pictures from my work, I’ve been seeing some snow flakes the last few weeks

leoasman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Cool fall photos!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

leoasman wrote:
Cool fall photos!

Agreed. Very cool pics.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I might have that late blinker lens if you need it still.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
leoasman wrote:
Cool fall photos!

Agreed. Very cool pics.

Thank you! I really like how they came out. A little better than usual since I used and actually camera.

DQDan wrote:
I might have that late blinker lens if you need it still.

Thank you for the offer! I ran down to the local junkyard and was able to pick one up. I will let you know if I ever need another!

So one recent issue I’ve had is with my fuel sender from ispwest. It was working for a long time and then a week or two ago it started getting stuck at half a tank, a quarter then reserve and I’d fill it up and it wouldn’t go up. I pulled it out and took it apart and it’s moving free. I ground the lead out for it and the gauge works. I tested the sender and it seemed to work still and read. I put it back in and it won’t read at all anymore? I have heard of issues with new senders. Just a bad float?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Send it to Jim for a rebuild. He does them. I'm sure you've got his address floating around. Don't wait too long, as he might be heading to his daughter's house in AZ for the next month or so.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Send it to Jim for a rebuild. He does them. I'm sure you've got his address floating around. Don't wait too long, as he might be heading to his daughter's house in AZ for the next month or so.

Thanks for the tip, but I was actually able to fix it, well, sort of. When I put it back together I had accidentally broke the wire free from the solder. I fixed that and tested it and it worked like normal, I moved the float up and down and it went full to empty on the gauge. I put it in the tank and it still won’t read full after filling it up. I took it out after this issue and it works fine out of the car. It won’t read more than a quarter tank. I’m thinking the float has absorbed fuel making it not work. I also found that the one piece seems to come off the float the contacts the wires. It’s the white/yellow plastic piece that goes through the middle of the float and is supposed to be held by compression but there is very little, making me think the float is swelling. I made it so it can’t slip out from the float.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

If you can find another one, even with the wires broke, Jim can redo you one. Finding a broken one could be easier than you think. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 32

Jump to: