Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Block sanding long Bus panel
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
col1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Block sanding long Bus panel Reply with quote

Hi all.
I'm not a pro. But am not an amateur body guy. Restored various vws with a very good quality paint finish. My goal in every build is to get all my panels lazer straight with hours and hours of priming, guide coat, block sanding.... Repeat. But never has a single panel gave me so much hassle to get straight. I'm restoring a 72 deluxe bus and the long panel is killing me to get straight. I've used long dúra blocks, home made long plexi blocks air sander.and I just can't nail this panel. I skimmed the complete panel 40 80 120ed it down and still I have a small wave directly inlíne with the reinforced bars behind the panel. The problem I'm finding is is that this panel is sooo easy to flex, that when I'm sanding it must be flexing even tho I'm not applying and excessive force to the panel. I'm cutting with 40 and 80 so not polishing the high build. Has any one reinforced the rear of the panel in order to stop the flexing. Has anyone ever sprayed expanding foam to the inside of the panel to hold in place.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Most of my problem comes down to being OCD over the top. I sprayed the panel in some spare 2k gloss black to see how far off the mark I was. And only I could see the imperfection in the panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Block sanding long Bus panel Reply with quote

col1600 wrote:
Hi all.
I'm not a pro. But am not an amateur body guy. Restored various vws with a very good quality paint finish. My goal in every build is to get all my panels lazer straight with hours and hours of priming, guide coat, block sanding.... Repeat. But never has a single panel gave me so much hassle to get straight. I'm restoring a 72 deluxe bus and the long panel is killing me to get straight. I've used long dúra blocks, home made long plexi blocks air sander.and I just can't nail this panel. I skimmed the complete panel 40 80 120ed it down and still I have a small wave directly inlíne with the reinforced bars behind the panel. The problem I'm finding is is that this panel is sooo easy to flex, that when I'm sanding it must be flexing even tho I'm not applying and excessive force to the panel. I'm cutting with 40 and 80 so not polishing the high build. Has any one reinforced the rear of the panel in order to stop the flexing. Has anyone ever sprayed expanding foam to the inside of the panel to hold in place.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Most of my problem comes down to being OCD over the top. I sprayed the panel in some spare 2k gloss black to see how far off the mark I was. And only I could see the imperfection in the panel.

Sounds like the panel has stretched, try shrinking it a bit to tighten it up.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
col1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Block sanding long Bus panel Reply with quote

The panel was never damaged. I bare metalled it to start a fresh. So shouldn't have any stretching issue... I've seen longer panels than this on other vehicles that are super straight. Never had a prob before.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my fasty I restored with 6 months of.bodywork. All panels straight as a die...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Block sanding long Bus panel Reply with quote

Doesn’t have to be hit to stretch, the vehicle is decades old, butts in parking lots have bumped up against it, it’s vibrated and shook for thousands of miles…something is causing it to oil can which isn’t normal. A little bit of strategic shrinking should tighten the panel so you can block it without give.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: