Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘71 Standard firing order
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Hey all, long time no see. My current project on the Beetle is installing electronic ignition with a Pertronix distributor. In the process I noticed that the firing order on the current distributor is completely opposite of what the diagrams show ( #1 is where #3 should be, # 2 is where #4 should be). It runs fine in this order but why is it like this?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

The engine firing order is 1-4-3-2 clockwise and that doesn't change.

Don't get confused with the spark plug wire location on the distributor cap. Once you have located #1, the wires go 1-4-3-2 clockwise.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The engine firing order is 1-4-3-2 clockwise and that doesn't change.

Don't get confused with the spark plug wire location on the distributor cap. Once you have located #1, the wires go 1-4-3-2 clockwise.
Thanks. Any idea why the distributor is aligned completely opposite of what the diagrams show?
This is what I’ve got….(looking from back to front)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Yes, the driveshaft that spins the distributor has 11 teeth, so it's off a few teeth. This doesn't matter as long as you can turn the distributor body when setting the ignition timing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Alright. That helps me a lot. As usual, Thanks for the info!
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Ok so I’m back at this project. Can someone tell me what these wires are for? Particularly the fused one. The pos. side of the coil only has 3 prongs but I have 4 wires including the one from the new distributor. The opened up the fused link on the fused wire & the fuse was blown. I traced that particular wire & it connect s to something in what looks like the front of the transmission.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

The blue wire goes fro the choke and idle cut off to the positive side of the coil.

The fussed wire 8s for the reverse lights and also goes to the positive side of the coil.

The thicker black wire from the wiring harness is the keyed positive and goes to the positive side of the coil.

The wires from the pertronix, black to coil negative and red to coil positive

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. Since there’s only 3 terminals on the positive side of the coil & I have 4 wires is it safe to splice any 2 of those wires together?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

You want the idle cutoff and choke on the same wire.

If the drive on the bottom of the distributor is installed backwards, it will move the wires 180*

You can remove the distributor, use a pick and take the circle spring off, and use a drift to remove the drive ears. Spin it 180* and reinstall.

But really it doesn't matter as long as the wires are in the right order starting at the compression stroke on #1. It only makes a difference if you have a vacuum advance distributor and it's hitting the case.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
Thanks Glenn. Since there’s only 3 terminals on the positive side of the coil & I have 4 wires is it safe to splice any 2 of those wires together?

Better to use something like this:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

That works.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Ok. So I got the new Bosch coil & the Pertronix distributor in. I then got the timing in range using the test light method. We got it started yesterday but it wouldn’t idle & it was randomly dropping a cylinder & now it won’t start at all. I pulled a plug to see if it was getting fire & now I’m completely baffled. When the key is turned from “off to on” without actually turning the engine over the plug will spark but when the engine is turned over there’s no spark. Has anybody ever seen anything like that?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Give Speedy Jim's page on troubleshooting engine start up a read: http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm
Remove all four spark plug wires from the distributor cap and follow the steps in the section "The test" to identify where #1 plug wire goes on the cap. Install the remaining wires CW around the cap in the order 1-4-3-2.

Oh, and replace the distributor cap with a solid colored one and not the cheap see-thru type.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Hammerhead69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Oh, and replace the distributor cap with a solid colored one and not the cheap see-thru type.
Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out. As far as the cap goes, I replaced the entire distributor & cap with the Pertronix electronic ignition setup, & that’s when my problem started.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
As far as the cap goes, I replaced the entire distributor & cap with the Pertronix electronic ignition setup, & that’s when my problem started.

Another endorsement for Pertronix Rolling Eyes

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
I replaced the entire distributor & cap with the Pertronix electronic ignition setup, & that’s when my problem started.

i have heard this scenario before !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Make sure the pos. side of coil is getting 12 volts as the electronic "points" don't like lower voltage.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: ‘71 Standard firing order Reply with quote

Hammerhead69 wrote:
When the key is turned from “off to on” without actually turning the engine over the plug will spark but when the engine is turned over there’s no spark. Has anybody ever seen anything like that?

Check this...
    Remove center wire from distributor cap and hold it near ground (2mm) so you can confirm ignition coil is sending a spark.

With the ignition ON, rotate the crank pulley by hand and watch for a (blue-white) spark to jump the gap from the wire end to ground as the rotor passes each of the four posts positions in the distributor cap. Rock the crank back and forth around the point where the spark fires and it should throw a spark each time the electronic points trigger the coil to spark. Repeat for each post on the cap. This confirms the electronic points are triggering the coil to spark as the rotor passes each of the posts.

Have someone crank the engine while you still hold the coil wire near ground and you should see the coil sparking at regular intervals. A starter bump switch is a big aid if you are by yourself. Odd spark intervals while cranking means one or more cylinders are not firing and you have a problem with the electronic points and its magnetic pickup.

If there is no spark from the coil wire while cranking... measure the voltage at the #15 (+) terminal of the ignition coil while the engine is not cranking and while it is cranking. You should see a voltage drop while cranking but if the voltage drops below 11.0v while cranking it will likely result in the electronic points no longer working. This is a common problem with old wiring creating high resistance such that insufficient current makes it to the coil/points.

To confirm it is a problem with voltage reaching the coil... run a wire from the battery positive post (use your battery jumper cables) and power the coil #15 directly from the battery. This is the highest voltage you can get. Test the voltage while cranking. If it still drops below 11.0v it means you have a weak/old battery (or a starter that is drawing too much current away from the battery). If powering the coil from the battery allows the coil to spark, reconnect everything and try to start the engine while the coil is powered by the battery. If you get the engine running when the coil is powered directly from the battery you know the no spark while cranking was caused by lack of current making it to the coil.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: