Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Me Pick My New Engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Engine?
Another TDI?
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Some other VAG gas engine (make suggestion)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
"Subaru the Hell of it!"
70%
 70%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 24

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
There is another option: Go electric

Works for Manhattan, but not Manhattan, KS
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

There's a few electric cars running around Manhattan, KS. There are a few Teslas and at least one or two VW ID4s running around, and I saw one of those weird new electric Mustangs this morning. (Sidenote, I don't really know why they called that a Mustang. Other than the shape of the tail lights, I don't see a Mustang with that thing. Should have either called it something else, or built an actual electric Mustang. I decided this morning that was a dumb board room committee decision.)

I'm intrigued by the electric option as a thought exercise. But I also want this Bus to be a long road trip vehicle and at this point I don't think there are electric options that fit that well. The Green Bus is more of a commuter Bus for me, so it could potentially be an option at some point, but I'm nowhere near ready to make that leap.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

Should have called it “Pinto” Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Or Edsel II.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

I always thought the Edsels were very pretty cars.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

I thought the Chevy Volt could be a possible swap as you'd get 30-40 miles on the electric for commuting or driving around town doing errands but have the generator gasoline engine that would allow long distance travel (500+ miles with a reg VW gas tank).

The electric range could be extended (10-20 additional miles) with a full solar set up on the roof to charge/recharge the battery. Having a Bus/Westy with a 50-60 mile all electric range would be great and the gas engine/generator would solve the extended trip issue. A solar set up would top up the battery while camping so any short trips after you get to your destination would be all electric.

I believe it has good torque specs and is equivalent to 150hp, similar to a 2.2L Subi engine. Fitting the engine/generator and battery pack would be a challenge but that's a 1st world problem.

2nd generation Electric drive range: 53 miles [85 km], (149hp [111 kW] 294 lb-ft of torque [398 N-m])

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

What is the cost of a Subaru swap? if your mating it to the 091 transaxle, don't you run into the same risk of blowing it up like with the TDI? i know subarugears manufactures the R&P + kit to change the direction of rotation, but the pricetag is eyewatering.
And if you do the 2.5 Subaru motor, wont you have to deal with the possible head gasket problem first?

Who was redoing your 091? having it blow up so many times in such a short period seems off. I remember in HS, guys were getting crazy power out of there Bug motors, and they weren't blowing up transaxles like that. I realize the 091 is a different animal...but it should be stronger.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

The first transmission blow up was somewhat anticipated (though I had hoped I'd have gotten more warning), it was the original and hadn't been touched besides maybe changing oil.

The second one was frustrating. It was regeared at that time, though nobody had done much research on updating things to make them stronger. It died at about 10,000 miles.

At that time, I spent a lot of time talking to "Gears" here on The Samba. In the mean time between the two transmissions, he'd developed straight-cut gears that are stronger, and someone (Weddle? I don't recall) had also developed the aluminum gear carrier. Those parts weren't available at first build.

He also discussed with me how the diesel engine just pounds the transmission more than gas engines. That pounding can be mitigated a bit by running higher RPMs, along with the newer, stronger parts. I chose a bit shorter gearing and went back to factory tire size to raise RPMs a little bit. He also talked about being extra sure not to lug the engine and wind it out a little more before shifting and all that.

So, this transmission should be much better suited for the TDI. And more than strong enough for a Subaru or other gasser engine. (Assuming the gearing works ok.)

Skills will probably tell you the head gasket issue is somewhat overblown. And it will be easy enough to put in a set of upgraded gaskets while it's sitting on the garage floor.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Or Edsel II.
Applause Applause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Skills will probably tell you the head gasket issue is somewhat overblown. And it will be easy enough to put in a set of upgraded gaskets while it's sitting on the garage floor.

it is.

everyone loses their mind with that 'head gasket' issue.

subaru had 2.8 billion gasket revisions

they don't "blow" unless you do something REAL stupid...they leak oil externally and even at that it's no worse than the snot of oil hanging off your air cooled engine as we speak.

some guys run MLS gaskets at the cost of losing compression. i have been using dealer supplied HG's and haven't had an issue.

also aftermarket head bolts are a joke as the washer size for a few critical locations isn't the right size, so dealer bolts here too

and the HG issue appears at 120k or so. i have one outback i still service that has 190k on it and they are just showing signs of sweating. original owner car too so it's all a crap shoot.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

Edisonell for the electric version.

Driveways are 60 miles long in Kansas, that range will be useless, and electric cars are for sad wankers. .
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

what no one says turbo subaru Wink

but seriously a chipped 1.8t should mostly fit right in where the TDI was.
though the donors are getting harder to find 98-2005 model years.
a 98-99 AEB is a very easy wiring harness to pull/install drive by cable and no immobilizer only requires a ECU upgrade if you want more power.
a 99-01 ATW still doesn't have an immobilizer but is drive by wire
I don't know the AUG has an immobilizer or not
the AWM definitely has an immobilizer and requires an ECU flash/program.

AEB - 1998-May 1999 - Passat
- ATW - May 1999-May 2001 - Passat
- AUG - May 2001-late 2001 - Passat
- AWM - 2001.5-current (what is current?) Passat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

the complexities of a turbo...subaru or otherwise don't really make a lot of sense imho. it's a fucking bus. they get squirrely at 80 no matter how much you try and dial them in,

unless you want to go with a AWIC which is a whole other challenge i just don't see the benefit.

still a lot of subaru donors here. i just got a call for one i could grab for 500 bux. i'd grab it but i have 2 vanagons and a bus i need to part out and crush before i turn the place into a junk yard.

AEB - 1998-May 1999 - Passat
- ATW - May 1999-May 2001 - Passat
- AUG - May 2001-late 2001 - Passat
- AWM - 2001.5-current (what is current?) Passat

good luck finding any of those cars here. they are ALL gone. people bounced from the longitudinal cars once they had issues.

other than my 01 A4 i haven't seen a B5 platform car out in the wild for years now. fuck, i don't even see any MK4's around here anymore either. however there are still a lot of krispy subarus that are prime for donors

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

…however there are still a lot of krispy subarus that are prime for donors

Pssstt, that just means that you’re surrounded by a bunch of hairy lesbians.

But seriously, the same shit that limits the lifespan of any car is the reason that there are so many Subarus in your area, snow & ice = 10-15 year maximum service life & the desire for AWD.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of work. You gotta search and buy a suitable Subie, standard shift I believe. Then you got get it home, take it all apart, pull the engine and the wiring harness. Send off the harness, redo the engine (whatever that entails, timing belt, head gaskets, tuneup, reverse the intake, etc…)disassemble the bus, fabricate what ever you need, buy a mounting bar from Busaru, redo the fuel tank, exhaust and a ton of other shit I’m sure. And you gotta do all this with a career, new wife and a baby. Oy vey…

If you go the route of a donor car, at the end of the day it’ll still be a mystery motor like your last TDI. If it were me, I’d buy a new long block like Vee Dub Nut did and build that up with bolt on donor parts.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

more crazy liberal spinsters than lesbians. you know the type... has every political sticker in the world on the tailgate.

my absolute favorite are the ones with all the climate stickers yet refuse to repair any leaks or CEL's. they get charged extra

subaurs by and large are fairly cheap to keep running compared to any VAG product listed here. those cars got dumped when they started costing people real money.

your average suabru owner will keep pouring in just enough money to keep it running yet have a milk crate full of fluids in the back because they refuse to fix any of that stuff. they'll pour a gallon of coolant in twice a week before they fix the radiator or 2 qts of ATF before they fix the rotted cooler lines.

lets clear up some subaru myths:

head gaskets....

they leak oil externally. they don't "blow" as in sucking coolant into the engine. yes, it does happen that way IF you cook the engine..
-------------------------------

you need a manual for a swap

NO...m/t or a/t is all the same. you need to ground 1 pin on the ECU if your donor was from a car with a automatic
--------------------------------

parts

every, and i mean every part is still available from the dealer.
-----------------------------------

harness

you can DIY...many do. i'd rather send it to jeff for 600 bux and have a harness ready to go. i value my time. i have done harness work and it SUCKS. sticky tape fingers, the amount of space it takes to lay out....fuck that noise. for 600 bux i feel like i'm stealing.

were i to do them for a customer at shop rate it would be a 2k harness. not worth the time seeing jeff test runs every harness before shipping it back
--------------------------------

parts car

you need to pull the dash to remove the harness. i can usually have the harness and engine out in about 5-6 hours depending on the level of rust. if you're smart about it you can sell 600 bux worth of parts off the car and send your harness out. when i did mine, my donor had new tires are really nice (stock) wheels. i sold those for 700 bux without trying. sold a door for 100, seats for 300 etc. so you can recoup some $$ if you put in a little work

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

more crazy liberal spinsters than lesbians. you know the type... has every political sticker in the world on the tailgate.

my absolute favorite are the ones with all the climate stickers yet refuse to repair any leaks or CEL's. they get charged extra

Same difference. Razz. They just haven’t transitioned yet. Twisted Evil

arminyack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

harness

you can DIY...many do. i'd rather send it to jeff for 600 bux and have a harness ready to go. i value my time. i have done harness work and it SUCKS. sticky tape fingers, the amount of space it takes to lay out....fuck that noise. for 600 bux i feel like i'm stealing.

were i to do them for a customer at shop rate it would be a 2k harness. not worth the time seeing jeff test runs every harness before shipping it back

lol My experience as well. When I started, I had thoughts of doing it myself. I found a donor car at the pick and pull, and pulled what I needed. That sucked. Then I started stripping everything down...and a couple of hours later, with little to show I said "screw this noise!" and got a quote from FastForward for doing it, plus the ECU. 2 weeks later I had everything and all tested and ready to go.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

The biggest reason I'd consider another TDI at this point, is that it (the Bus) is set up to go with that and it is a simple install.

One of the things I like when I see the Subaru conversions is the relative simplicity. A big example is the lack of nonsense related to the turbo, intercooling, etc. I attempted to utilize the factory intercooler from the donor Passat with a fan, blocking off from the engine compartment, etc and it just wasn't sufficient. Therefore, water to air. But that added significant and unanticipated complexity and *still* isn't totally right. One person says he had to double the intercoolers to get it to really work. I believe part of the difficulty is that with a TDI relies on more constant boost vs. a gas motor gets the boost more in spurts/acceleration and therefore the water is more able to cool down, etc.

All that to say, when I see the NA Subaru swaps, I really like how much more simple and clean the engine compartments look. I'm a bit jealous.

I sorted out my own wiring harness once, so I imagine I could do it again, but if I could really get one done for like $600, I might be willing to do that. It would very likely be much nicer than what I'd end up with.

I think I'm leaning toward the Subaru camp right now. But if a TDI engine came to me pretty easily, I would go ahead and install it first (and probably continue considering Subaru/saving for an eventual change/whatever while continuing to drive it with the TDI).

But first, I need to save some money for whatever goes in there. I also need to get my garage cleaned up/organized into a usable space, and I need to get the heater core in my Eurovan replaced so it will be ready for winter. Before I can even pull the motor out of this thing.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Pick My New Engine Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Driveways are 60 miles long in Kansas, that range will be useless, and electric cars are for sad wankers. .

Abscate, with the Chevy Volt swap you could drive your 60 mile long Kansas driveway entirely on electric one time and then drive it again at least 10 more times using the gasoline engine generator if you'd like to keep Exxon and Shell in business ..... Smile
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: