Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

How hot does the hot air duct run on a 5k?

I ran the heat through my new storage box in between the seats. I figured it would get warm, but holy Hell this thing is hot! I am guessing 160°F. I couldn't keep my hand on it anyway.

Anyway, has anyone heard of van's combusting or melting because of the hot air heat?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I have a 5k unit externally mounted very similar to yours, and the heat is routed through the factory rear heater housing. The housing is plastic, and it hasn't melted yet. I'm drawing my intake air from outside the van, which may allow it to regulate temps a little easier--dunno

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
WetWest91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to a YouTube post showing a T3 Westy Chinese diesel heater install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5qW9kKBLM

And here's a link to the product on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT24CLK/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ABNLGNJ1L8EDM&psc=1

Personally, I think some form of valved disconnect for the fuel line from the feed to the filter along with a strap setup for mounting the tank would make filling the tank much easier and eliminate spilling mistakes inside the van.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

It's about that time!!! Buy your $120 heaters now!

Seriously - these heaters + LiFePo4 are great. Yeah figuring out the fuel tank sucks...but damn is it not awesome to have a toasty van in super cold temperatures!

Anyway - I think I have around 300 hours on my heater. I sometimes have some issues failing to ignite (E11 I believe). However it usually gets it on the 2nd ignite. I usually run 50:50 diesel to kerosene. I'm thinking it is the glow plug?

Does anyone have any source for some quality parts? I can get an Espar D2 OEM plug for $80 or an aftermarket for $30. I'd say given it's importance - maybe just get an OEM.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Shagginwagon, there is also Butler Technik which carries a lot of Webasto/ Eberspacher parts and literature.

https://www.butlertechnik.com/vehicle-heater-kits-c1

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
holocenevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I’m most of the way thru reading every page of this thread before buying one of the 2kw versions.

As a pilot flying turbine aircraft I’m wondering if anyone has run the CDH on Jet A or B? It supposedly burns a little hotter than diesel but Jet A is almost identical to kerosene. It’s also $5 a gallon or so and available at almost any airport. When we sump our aircraft in the morning that cup or two often goes in the tank of the Cummins powered service truck.

Any thoughts, safety issues, flames, or experience on using Jet A in a CDH?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Jet A would be one step more clean than kerosene. I run 100% kerosene, I am convinced that most of the problems develop due to dirty fuel. Anyway, if running diesel, it is recommended to power the unit up to full blast for a few minutes before shut down to burn out the combustion area a bit better, if its getting carboned up. I'd say give it a try!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I am just thinking out loud here on 100% kerosene (I run 50/50 diesel/kerosene). Some folks have mentioned that running 100% kerosene is not recommended since straight kerosene will not adequately lubricate the fuel pump. While I agree that diesel oil will provide more lubricity, I disagree that kerosene will not provide enough lubrication for that pulse pump. Bombardier and Rotax designed their 2-stroke engines some 15 or 20 years ago to run on straight gasoline (before their current crop of direct-injection engines) when the engines were idling at around 1,500 to 2,000 rpm. Their studies showed that gasoline provided adequate lubrication at those "slow" engine speeds and they designed the oil-injection system to shut off at idle speeds. These are companies (esp Rotax) with very advanced engineering, so I think, if these high performance two-stroke engines can idle at these speeds with only raw gasoline providing the lubrication, then a solenoid pulse-pump can easily do so. Besides, the gasoline versions of the Eberspacher also run a pulse-pump with only gasoline as lubricant.

I reckon that the "lubrication theory" for running some amount of diesel in the CDH is not a good theory.

I run a diesel/kerosene mix only because up here in the Great White North, kerosene is obscenely expensive compared to US prices.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I was getting E10 error (failure to ignite). LiFePo4 voltage with upgrade wire loom. All looked good. Had a spare new heater on shelf - swapped it in and same error. Replaced fuel pump. Remove intake silencer. No dice. Turned out to be my Webasto brand silencer was clogged up. I guess my mixtures settings are off? Also any recommendations on how to clean this nice exhaust silencer?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I wonder if you could burn the soot out like people do on the VW diesel intake manifolds when they start clogging up? i.e. an air hose and propane torch. I've done it a couple times, and it is pretty fun!

Link

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I run 100% kerosene

I too have been running 100% kerosene. For many years and hundreds of hours on the heater. I have never had to replace the pump because of lubrication problems.

Howesight wrote:
I reckon that the "lubrication theory" for running some amount of diesel in the CDH is not a good theory.

I run a diesel/kerosene mix only because up here in the Great White North, kerosene is obscenely expensive compared to US prices.

I have also run 50%-50% Offroad Diesel and Kerosene. I have also not noticed any difference in sooting.

A friend owns our local emissions shop and let me set my air-fuel ratio while the "sniffer" exhaust analyzer was attached. The stock settings were way to rich at my home altitude of 4800ft. I also adjust the fuel down when at over 7000ft. I did find an inexpensive CO analyzer on Amazon.

The exhaust pipe is as clean as the day it was installed. Also if you want to reduce the noise of the heater, run the same muffler on the intake. It will surprise you how much quieter it is outside the vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Also if you want to reduce the noise of the heater, run the same muffler on the intake. It will surprise you how much quieter it is outside the vehicle.

Ooooo, thanks. I am going to try that on my gas heater. I have two mufflers on the exhaust and that makes a difference but nothing on the intake, yet. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I was getting E10 error (failure to ignite). LiFePo4 voltage with upgrade wire loom. All looked good. Had a spare new heater on shelf - swapped it in and same error. Replaced fuel pump. Remove intake silencer. No dice. Turned out to be my Webasto brand silencer was clogged up. I guess my mixtures settings are off? Also any recommendations on how to clean this nice exhaust silencer?

Not to add worry, but if the muffler is sooted up, what must the burn chamber and glow plug look like? Did you dial in the pump speed and fan speed with temp readings and a CO monitor on the exhaust? I would also strongly advise acquiring Ray Jones's Afterburner controller if your unit will support it. As Jael has demonstrated in another post with great pictures, it gives you tons more control and options.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Ooooo, thanks. I am going to try that on my gas heater. I have two mufflers on the exhaust and that makes a difference but nothing on the intake, yet. Very Happy

I have this intake silencer on my Espar D2 and does help keep the noise down. I'm not sure you need the metal muffler for the exhaust on the intake side. There are other options on ebay that look identical.
https://www.heatso.com/webasto-combustion-air-intake-silencer/
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

gtinseth wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

Not to add worry, but if the muffler is sooted up, what must the burn chamber and glow plug look like? Did you dial in the pump speed and fan speed with temp readings and a CO monitor on the exhaust? I would also strongly advise acquiring Ray Jones's Afterburner controller if your unit will support it. As Jael has demonstrated in another post with great pictures, it gives you tons more control and options.

I haven’t opened that heater up yet. I have Afterburner controller. I did not dial in my burn settings. I need to do that.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

erste wrote:
dobryan wrote:

I have this intake silencer on my Espar D2 and does help keep the noise down. I'm not sure you need the metal muffler for the exhaust on the intake side. There are other options on ebay that look identical.
https://www.heatso.com/webasto-combustion-air-intake-silencer/

I used that same intake silencer and it really quiets the CDH a lot. I also used a genuine Webasto muffler on the exhaust side, after seeing some CDH posts (not on the Samba) showing how poorly the Chinese-made mufflers worked. So, $250 CAD for the whole CDH, but $100 CAD for the Webasto muffler.

*SIGH*

Also, since my rig is s Syncro and the underside is exposed to mud, dust and snow, I inserted the CDH intake muffler inside a K&N cone filter with a plastic shield outside the cone to keep it from being totally covered in mud.

It is now very quiet.
DyerMaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:
No polystyrene, it came packed in soft plastic foam. The smell has gotten less intense, but still noticeable. Hole it will eventually go away. Kind of smells like hot brakes.

I have sniffed around the unit after it has shut off but still warm, and I have yet to identify which part of the heater is so fragrant.

Hey, did you find something out? I have the same problem with mine and Im worried about breathing this plastic smell...
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

DyerMaker wrote:
beach_creature wrote:
No polystyrene, it came packed in soft plastic foam. The smell has gotten less intense, but still noticeable. Hole it will eventually go away. Kind of smells like hot brakes.

I have sniffed around the unit after it has shut off but still warm, and I have yet to identify which part of the heater is so fragrant.

Hey, did you find something out? I have the same problem with mine and Im worried about breathing this plastic smell...

I just saw a post on the facebook group that mentioned that the silicon gasket for the base of the heater was not really high temp silicon. Maybe check that?
GreenZoomBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

I'm considering buying one of the Chinese diesel heater for my 67 Baja. They advertise them as a parking heater. Can you use them while driving ?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Reply with quote

GreenZoomBug wrote:
I'm considering buying one of the Chinese diesel heater for my 67 Baja. They advertise them as a parking heater. Can you use them while driving ?

If you set up the intake and the exhaust pipes correctly then yes, you can.
Check Eberspaecher D2 or D4 install broschures for the correct installation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 64

Jump to: