Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan asking prices
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

I have been shopping for a MV or MV w/ weekender package. Here is how the data looks for the month of September:

Based on common odometer reading out to about 200K miles:
Camper is $2-5K more than a MV w/ weekender
MV weekender is $10K more than MV
MV is about $10K more than a GLS

After 200K miles the gaps narrows between models.

A pic of the data

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

Nice work! I've long wanted to do a similar cost analysis over time (decades) to show how prices dip and then rise again for certain models. All of the VW Transporters have gone through this process here in the US. The dozens of cheap VWs I bought back in the '80s are all now astronomically expensive

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

That's a cool analysis. I should do one for the crazy prices here in SF, CA.

Interesting how the original minor price difference between the versions have ballooned to pretty big separations now. Glad I have a Weekeender!

For 2002-
"Two standard wheelbase EuroVan models are available: the $26,200 GLS and $27,700 Multivan or MV.

The primary difference between the GLS and MV models is their seating arrangements. The EuroVan GLS has two individual middle row seats in the second row, with a three-place bench in the rear. The MV turns the second-row seats around, back-to-back with the front seats, and adds a table that folds out from the wall. The third-row seat also folds out into a bed.

A Weekender package ($3,335) available with the MV adds overnight capabilities with a pop-up roof that includes a two-person bed, window screens for the two side-sliding windows and a refrigerator under the left-hand rear-facing seat.

A longer version of the EuroVan (with a 130.7-inch wheelbase) called the Camper ($38,733) seats up to six, but also includes a pop-up roof, a two-burner LP gas stove and full-swiveling captain chairs, among other amenities. It's just the thing for a weekend in the infield at Indy. "

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2003-Volkswagen-EuroVan/expert-review/
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

Ask prices probably went up 10k during Covid

That 3k weekender package you bought new was better than any stock I ever bought.
patagrande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

Very interesting analysis. Always worth thinking about the asking price (wishing price?) versus the selling price, which is harder to know, unless you are the seller or the buyer.

Some ads I see here in the SF Bay area are laughabale, and those run for a long time. Higher mileaage vehicles, even with a lot of documented work, tend to sit for a while, which makes me scratch my head; less than 150k miles move quickly, even at higher prices.

When I was looking a year ago a Weekender was selling on CL with 140k, no documented work, and it was gone in two days for $18k. The seller was "the grandson" of the owner and it had out of state plates. No receipts of any kind, and "grandpa" was too busy to talk to any interested party. But the lower mileage was the hook.

My high-mileage 2003 Weekender is cosmetically pristine, every oil change and repair since day one is documented, and the second owner put almost $20k into it, got tired of dealing with it and sold it to me for a fair price.

I shudder to think finding a replacment were it to get totalled. If you don't want to get a Sprinter/Promaster/Transit conversion, there are few choices for a nomal-sized van with camping ammentities. At best any EV is going to be at least 19 years old, and buying one is a gamble, especially if its had multiple owners and the history is unknown.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

The question is... will the prices tank after COVID...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

patagrande wrote:
Very interesting analysis. Always worth thinking about the asking price (wishing price?) versus the selling price, which is harder to know, unless you are the seller or the buyer.

Some ads I see here in the SF Bay area are laughabale, and those run for a long time. Higher mileaage vehicles, even with a lot of documented work, tend to sit for a while, which makes me scratch my head; less than 150k miles move quickly, even at higher prices.

When I was looking a year ago a Weekender was selling on CL with 140k, no documented work, and it was gone in two days for $18k. The seller was "the grandson" of the owner and it had out of state plates. No receipts of any kind, and "grandpa" was too busy to talk to any interested party. But the lower mileage was the hook.

My high-mileage 2003 Weekender is cosmetically pristine, every oil change and repair since day one is documented, and the second owner put almost $20k into it, got tired of dealing with it and sold it to me for a fair price.

I shudder to think finding a replacment were it to get totalled. If you don't want to get a Sprinter/Promaster/Transit conversion, there are few choices for a nomal-sized van with camping ammentities. At best any EV is going to be at least 19 years old, and buying one is a gamble, especially if its had multiple owners and the history is unknown.

Just work up a partner in EU and buy one each of those awesome T5,6,7 California models and rotate them in as a tourist
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

In trying to figure out what is a fair value to offer for a limited supply vehicle with a good buyer base, I looked at the [limited data] to see where they are on the curve. Based on the data and actually looking at the potential candidates closer, I viewed the potential vehicles this way:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In general, the ones below the solid blue line (AVG) were 5 cyl and/or body challenged (such as rust) examples. The ones above the line were [complete] VR6 models with solid bodies.

There was a 1999 Canadian model with 34,583 miles. Great condition but with a manual transmission and NO A/C. The dealer has dropped the asking price down to $44,999. You can see it is positioned ~2 sigma below the average. If you didn't need AC, and can drive a stick, this would be a great buy.

I ended up buying the one with 28,275 miles. It was an insane amount but you really can't find this model with this low miles (I have been looking for a while for one in excellent condition). I paid less than the asking price buy got a vehicle within +1 sigma of the average and it was in awesome condition. I previously owned a 93 MV with weekender package; the family loved it. We called it the Adventure Van.

In looking at the data, if you find a VR6 model in great condition with reasonable miles positioned below the blue line, I would say that is a good buy.

Until there is a comparable vehicle that has this incredible versatility and can also fit into a typical garage space, I expect these vehicles to hold their values over time - so keep up with the preventative maintenance!
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

I recently acquired a 95 EVC Rust free Texas Eurovan automatic with only 48,000 miles on it. All original paint is a bit chalky and needs a good hand or machine buff. recently renewed air conditioning system with compressor condenser evaporator and hoses. Looks like I am the third owner. I got a few service tickets including the recent air conditioning work with it wondering what your thoughts would be on market value in today’s market? That said it is not for sale just curious about market value potential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

What specific model do you have - the camper?

If so, you should buff the body out so it presents well. That includes making sure everything works. In that condition and presenting well, it might list about $50-55K.

I would guess it is in excellent mechanical condition (& everything works) but a little rough(er) in the body department, it might get listed for $40-45K.

Because of the low miles, you should make an effort to get it all sorted out and keep records. You can sell it 5 years from now and still come well.
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

spacetiger wrote:
I ended up buying the one with 28,275 miles. It was an insane amount but you really can't find this model with this low miles

Did I read that right? You paid $60k for a pristine Weekender?
I don't feel so bad about the $24.5k I paid for my 2002 with 122k miles in SF.

Boy for $60k I wish we could get our hands on the latest T6/7 from Europe with all the improvements and 40mpg diesel.
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

Endopotential wrote:
spacetiger wrote:
I ended up buying the one with 28,275 miles. It was an insane amount but you really can't find this model with this low miles

Did I read that right? You paid $60k for a pristine Weekender?
I don't feel so bad about the $24.5k I paid for my 2002 with 122k miles in SF.

Boy for $60k I wish we could get our hands on the latest T6/7 from Europe with all the improvements and 40mpg diesel.

Closer to $55K but it only had 28,275 miles; its a new EV. At 10K mi/yr, I could drive it for 7 yrs and it would have ~100K mi. I could get $45 for it if there is no competition. That's how I buy vehicles, low miles with premium $$'s. You get much of your money back and have few to no issues.

I totally agree with you on the latest T6+ models (California). Even if hey had to put a gas engine to get it to pass emission regulation, it would sell very well in the current climate. RV's are selling well with backlogs on many/most class B models. This van fits in the garage, meets commuter/family duties, and gives you the ability to explore.
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

Basically, we are in a market where there are no real comparable replacements for what I call the Swiss Army Knife of cars; the VW Eurovan - my garage-able daily driver, camper, people mover and cargo van all rolled up into one. My 2002 EVC suffered a tranny failure this summer and I was also getting cam shaft timing errors. I thought this might be an opportunity to trade up to a new camper van. Virtually everything available in the US market goes for $90K+ (Metris mainly) and are pretty much dedicated campers more or less. Sadly, Europe (and Japan) has dozens of great van campers to choose from. If VW can't see this fantastic opportunity to bring the T6 California into the US, they must be freakin' blind. I would rush out and place an order for one ASAP. As such, I opted to sink $16K into resurrecting my EVC which has only 110K miles on it. It is really a sad state of affairs for us small camper enthusiasts.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

VW will face the same issue with the T6 in the US. We are all complaining about +$90K on the Mercedes. VW will not be able to sell a new camper any significantly lower than that. Yes, there is a ton of demand, but will there be a demand for a 6 figure camper? One can get a class B or C RV for the similar price in the US. I think the most Americans would prefer the size of class C if dropping that much money.

I know, I am in the same boat as you.
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

I know someone in the Netherlands who owns the T6 camper and it costs her a little more than 100k US dollars. I'll be the first one to get in line for one even with that price. But I think you're right, the market will be too small for VW to bring them here.

We checked out the Metris and it felt too small. It's also cost more than 100k after all is said and done.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

2001 EVC 77K $60K Cherry. I like the black vent covers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393843472817?hash=item5bb2e679b1:g:0i4AAOSwUDFhUuoM
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:

That's a great price for an EVC.

The natural replacement (IMHO) is the 2022 Tofino (~88K): https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/

There is lots to like about this model (I like the bigger bed below and he 2 Li battery/inverter setup). And it runs on regular fuel.

VW would have to bring a replacement under $85K to even compete with this. The only downside it is too tall to fit in a normal garage.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

Quote:
The only downside it is too tall to fit in a normal garage.

A big downside for the massive San Frisco market and HOAs everywhere
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:

Possible the best investment I've ever made: 02 EVC with 65k miles, in pristine condition, purchased locally for $40k in early 2020.
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan asking prices Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
MrPulldown wrote:

Possible the best investment I've ever made: 02 EVC with 65k miles, in pristine condition, purchased locally for $40k in early 2020.

Hey fellow PDX'er!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: