Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Cabinets Removal Cost?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Westy Cabinets Removal Cost? Reply with quote

I got t-boned on the driver's side this morning 😭. I'm going to drop the van off at California Westies after the Baja trip, but need an estimate for cabinet removal and replacement for the insurance company to add to the body repair. Any recommendations? I tried Peace Vans, but they're not answering their phones this morning.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

That's a weird previous repair. The wheel flare was individually replaced?

Good luck with the repair. That is a headache and a half.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

Yeah - its going to be expensive. Thats why I need the man-hour estimates for cabinet removal and replace. I'm going to drop it off at California Westys

https://www.californiawestys.com/

after the Annual Baja Rally. They do cabinet-out repairs, but will not provide a written estimate, for obvious reaons. I'll add that to the body repair estimate and have the insurance company cash me out, so I can have the $ going forward.

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

You can do it yourself in under three hours but you might need a helper to lift the kitchen unit out. You'd only need to yank the bed and lower cabinets on the left side, not the closet. No idea what a shop would charge.
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

Back is 2017 Peace Vans removed my cabinets prior to some seam rust repair. Looking at the invoice they charged $450 labor for the pleasure.
You could try e-mailing them, typically Corey has replied to me within a day or two if you can wait that long. Good luck!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

Did I mention that I'm 63 years old with neck surgery? 😎

~ Captain Ron ~
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

Man, I'm very sorry Sam, I know that you were so stoked with your Westy and how good your new engine was working.

I looked at the California Westys page, some of those vans are truly gorgeous, they should be able to take good care of you.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

Curt Long told me about https://eurotechbody.com/ - they do it all. I'm going up to see them tomorrow.

~ Captain Ron ~
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

campism wrote:
You can do it yourself in under three hours but you might need a helper to lift the kitchen unit out. You'd only need to yank the bed and lower cabinets on the left side, not the closet. No idea what a shop would charge.

Normally I'd suggest that you do it yourself, although it sounds like your circumstances mean that's not possible. You'd only need to take out the bench, the kitchen, and the storage unit between the two to get repair access to the side and floor. There's a PDF of the VW Service Manual that shows you how to remove everything here on the westfaliat3.info website - it's in German but easy to understand from the pictures.

We had somebody go down the side of our van in a similar manner. They came in at the C-pillar, drove down the side, and then went out again at the B-pillar. Fortunately the structural sill wasn't bent, but the base of the B-pillar needed straightening, so it was quite a big job to do properly i.e. expensive. The only thing that made the situation bearable was that it meant that the other driver's insurance company effectively paid to sort out the corrosion behind / under the kitchen on our Westy.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

clift_d wrote:
There's a PDF of the VW Service Manual that shows you how to remove everything here on the westfaliat3.info website - it's in German but easy to understand from the pictures.

http://westfaliat3.info/html/westfalia_t3_downloads.html

nice site! didn't know about that one.... which is the cabinet removal instructions?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
clift_d wrote:
There's a PDF of the VW Service Manual that shows you how to remove everything here on the westfaliat3.info website - it's in German but easy to understand from the pictures.

nice site! didn't know about that one.... which is the cabinet removal instructions?

The PDF is linked in my post.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

clift_d wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
clift_d wrote:

The PDF is linked in my post.

the link in your post comes up blank

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

interesting - the link comes up blank on my mobile (android 6/chrome) and it works on the desktop (W10/chrome)

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

I need to "face" cabinet removal too.
Would be great if there was a Youtube or how-to.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

ockyfib wrote:
Back is 2017 Peace Vans removed my cabinets prior to some seam rust repair. Looking at the invoice they charged $450 labor for the pleasure.

if your van is stock as it left the factory i'd say 2-2.5 hours to remove and i'd add 3-3.5 to reinstall.

if you have any extra wires run, batteries etc...all bets are off

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Curt Long told me about https://eurotechbody.com/ - they do it all. I'm going up to see them tomorrow.

Corwyn - Since you're up in Olympia have you called Small Car in Tacoma? My buddy had a full restoration and syncro conversion done by them and it turned out great.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

http://www.westfaliat3.info/March_1989_VW_T3_Camping_Equipment_Repair_ManualWM.pdf

Removing the cabinets is pretty straight forward if you work methodically, and in the order shown in the manual. If you do it yourself, it also gives you a chance to clean everything up before it goes back in.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

Check page 5 (I think that's the one) of my thread. Might give you some ideas.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

From what I understand from the OP, he does not need to know how to remove the cabinets, but wants to get a written estimate on labor to do it so that he can get reimbursed from his insurance co. I'm sure he already knows how to do it or where to find the info.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Cabinets Removal Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
From what I understand from the OP, he does not need to know how to remove the cabinets, but wants to get a written estimate on labor to do it so that he can get reimbursed from his insurance co. I'm sure he already knows how to do it or where to find the info.

Thank you clarifying.

~ Captain Ron ~
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: