Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

To quote 5' 4" Frank Loyd Wright, when ask about the seven foot high ceilings in his Prairie School of Architecture, "Anything over 5' 6" isn't a person, it's a GD tree".
That being said, once you get into the drivers seat it is no more uncomfortable than any other 60's or 70's car. A Cadillac it isn't, but we all drive hundreds of miles at a time without any problems. I am 5' 6" and my driving is almost never on Interstate Highways. I mainly drive two lane hill and mountain roads of West Virginia. Lots of clutch use shifting gears. No problem.
However, I have always thought one of the reasons Germany lost WW II was because once in the seat you play hell getting out of the car due to the high door sills. If you saw an American P47 about to strafe your ass, there is no way to quickly get out and run for cover. It is much easier without a top on the car. All of the tops, surrey, fiberglass, and soft folding, provide plenty of headroom.
Buy it and have fun.
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

I'm 5' 11" and around 175. I daily drove my Thing off and on for 6 years including a 700 mile roadtrip around Christmas time from Colorado to Arkansas.

The only major "driving position" concern I ever had was, like mentioned by everyone else, the steering wheel. After a while I developed a pretty good technique for jumping in and squirming past it but it really is right there in your way.

I never felt like the pedal placement was a problem at all for left hand drive. It was just great for my right foot which spends all of it's time on sometime. Definitely a bit of a stretch to operate the clutch but in reality your left foot spends most of it's time on the dead-pedal so that really isn't a concern.

I actually really like the up-right driving position where my legs are just about flat on the floor. My current daily driver is a Tacoma where I feel like I'm sitting directly on the floor and I'd take the Thing over that truck any day!

After getting in and out of that car thousands of times, the one big gripe I have other than the steering wheel is the door latch post. It doesn't happen often but every once in a while that thing will grab the back of your pants on your way in. I snagged a pocket on it one day and ripped my pants wide open! Like I said, that didn't happen often but I daily drove it enough that it would get me occasionally. Now I know why modern cars use a smooth loop for the door latch instead of a post Smile

Of course, you're also in a convertible air cooled car with literally no insulation between you and the engine or the road. It was great driving around town but over about 40 the noise starts to pick up and it's really loud at 65-70. If you cruise at 70 for 12+ hours well....NVH takes it toll
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Ark wrote:

After getting in and out of that car thousands of times, the one big gripe I have other than the steering wheel is the door latch post. It doesn't happen often but every once in a while that thing will grab the back of your pants on your way in. I snagged a pocket on it one day and ripped my pants wide open!

This is funny. For me, it's the seat belt hook. After breaking a few of the original plastic hooks, I switched to the metal seat belt hooks. Since then, I have ripped a few belt loops off of my pants.

After over 40 years in the Thingdom, muscle memory helps me hop in and out with relative ease. BUT... When I need to hop in on the passenger side, (or into the back seat) it's a spaz maneuver for me.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Thing's Driving Position Really So Bad? Reply with quote

Ark wrote:
I'm 5' 11" and around 175. I daily drove my Thing off and on for 6 years including a 700 mile roadtrip around Christmas time from Colorado to Arkansas.

The only major "driving position" concern I ever had was, like mentioned by everyone else, the steering wheel. After a while I developed a pretty good technique for jumping in and squirming past it but it really is right there in your way.

I never felt like the pedal placement was a problem at all for left hand drive. It was just great for my right foot which spends all of it's time on sometime. Definitely a bit of a stretch to operate the clutch but in reality your left foot spends most of it's time on the dead-pedal so that really isn't a concern.

I actually really like the up-right driving position where my legs are just about flat on the floor. My current daily driver is a Tacoma where I feel like I'm sitting directly on the floor and I'd take the Thing over that truck any day!

After getting in and out of that car thousands of times, the one big gripe I have other than the steering wheel is the door latch post. It doesn't happen often but every once in a while that thing will grab the back of your pants on your way in. I snagged a pocket on it one day and ripped my pants wide open! Like I said, that didn't happen often but I daily drove it enough that it would get me occasionally. Now I know why modern cars use a smooth loop for the door latch instead of a post Smile

Of course, you're also in a convertible air cooled car with literally no insulation between you and the engine or the road. It was great driving around town but over about 40 the noise starts to pick up and it's really loud at 65-70. If you cruise at 70 for 12+ hours well....NVH takes it toll

Helpfully detailed answer, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: