Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight screw spacer
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbie62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

Hello,

On my 64' bug, I have two different spacers for the headlight screw, one in metal, the other in plastic. Which one is correct ?

Many thanks for your help

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

Plastic is correct.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

I'd go with plastic myself. I have some new old stock Hella made buckets - they are Bus, but still the same general design and they have plastic spacers.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

Yes, '64 would be plastic

Metal were earlier, through 60 or 61
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

Anybody got a line on hardware store type substitute that could be used?? (Tubing to cut & use? Maybe even some rubber fuel hose or too soft?)
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
Anybody got a line on hardware store type substitute that could be used?? (Tubing to cut & use? Maybe even some rubber fuel hose or too soft?)

Any ACE Hardware should have a good selection of nylon spacers.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
RandyV wrote:

Thank you I'll check it out & report what I find!! Cool
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

Hardware shore should also have some firm plastic tubing like polyethylene/polypropylene, and you could cut off a piece to fit.

I did similar for a truck visor fix.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

If you don't turn up anything useful at the hardware store, Wolfsburg West sells the spacer together with a mounting screw for $2.25.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=11194119
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Ya, I did see some online I just hate little orders and coupled with no patience and my desire to kick the bottom out a "lil extra" to compensate for lowered front end, I'll probably give hardware a try! Wink Cool
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

I am missing both spacers on my headlights. Can someone tell the diameter and thickness of the spacers so I can make a pair?

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LALA4Fire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

re opening this thread.....could someone please measure the length of the spacer. Much appreciated Thumbs Up
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

Measurements are of the spacer from a WW headlight assembly which has been installed for ten years.

Outside diameter: 0.410"
Inside diameter: 0.235"
Height: 0.320"
LALA4Fire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight screw spacer Reply with quote

Thanks you ^^^^^^^^
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: