Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

VW 294 Is there an insert or a spacer for the bigger pinion bearing? Looks like it needs a spacer instead of the the insert used for the four bolt small bearing.

To clarify.. I added spacer for the bigger (later model) pinion bearing, just a spacer between the head of the pinion bearing and the fixture. It seems to have the same clearance in the fixture as the insert for the smaller pinion bearing.

Last edited by M. Notary on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

Yea their is a 'Ring' adaptor that goes with it Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

Which fixture are you talking about? Can you post a pic? The VW 294 is only for use with the early 4 bolt bearing. Those are the only ones from Crown I’ve seen. The VW 294B is the fixture that has the hole the bigger bearing fits in without any adapter. Then you use an adapter when using a 4 bolt bearing. If it looks like the VW 294 fixture below, it’s not able to be used for the late bearings.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

Here's Mine, I just cocked it so u can see it,,,if your ring is missing? you can have one made at a Machine shop Wink

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Here's Mine, I just cocked it so u can see it,,,if your ring is missing? you can have one made at a Machine shop Wink

That’s the first Crown jig I’ve seen that accepted a late pinion bearing. Maybe all the op needs is the sleeve?
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

Madmike.. is there a spacer for the big bearing? I have the small bearing SLEEVE you show. Without the sleeve there needs to be a SPACER because it pulls the big bearing too far into the fixture. I wonder if Crown was out of business by the time the big bearing arrived? If I machine a spacer, that thickness needs to be the correct dimension. That sets the bearing in the fixture because it will set the adjustment of the shift fork on the pinion side (1st and 2nd).

Last edited by M. Notary on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

No clue about the big bearing spacer?, I picked this Jig up in a yard sale Wink
Deweyoop2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

Does anyone have a copy of the original instructions that came with the crown manufacturing jig? I just got one and the original instructions look like they sat in a rat nest or something its all holely and is barely readable
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

I don't have one ,sorry
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Crown manufacturing shift fork adjust fixture Reply with quote

@Deweyoop2
I noticed you were looking for the manual. I have it… scanned… Everett uploaded it to the site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/Crown...ctions.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: