Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Outlaw Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

RichardinNZ wrote:
Thanks for the continued updates; it is really good to hear what you are learning about your engine.

I thought I'd read before to not have maximum advance more than around 32 degrees. My dual carb single port 36hp seems to also like more advance (with 010) but I have always stayed below 32degrees max. Have you found the engine running hotter or any other issues with the increased advance?

Many thanks.

We were able to find the limits of advance with the dyno, cylinder head and oil temps where excellent (on the dyno). I'm not sure how you would know the best advance for an engine like this, without dyno. The numbers showed that it ran best with a lot of advance, no backfiring or increase in heat for us. May not work for others.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Hi Erik.
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently on 32 degrees, and think after we move from lockdown I'll try 33, then 34 and see how things go in terms of how the car drives, and somehow find a way to monitor oil temperature (perhaps an oil temperature warning dipstick).
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Transmission upgrade for Max finished and home. Installed in chassis, but still finishing up misc details (no pics yet). Built by Jeff Huber, final assembly by MonkeyNut VW. Tunnel trans gearing: 3.80/2.06/1.26/.89 - 4.12 R&P

Camber Compensator fitted with tunnel trans center mounting bracket and new reproduction straps I've been making (still testing). I've included some pictures of my current CC and another I just recently finished restoring. Reproduction rubber saddles and end bushings are by: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1211950

Along with the new trans and engine dyno, I'm in the process of converting Max to 12v. All necessary parts in hand to complete the process, just need the time now to finish up. Hoping to have this wrapped up in about 2 weeks +/-

More updates to follow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Those brakes look killer against the restored transaxle.

Thank you again for the CC straps. Should be testing next week now lockdown is easing where I am

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

That trans looks very nice, Erik. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it compared to the 4.39. I really need to find the motivation to install my 4.12 trans.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Looks great! What did you use for a bushing on the transmission bracket?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

I just stumbled across this thread, stunning car. I started reading from the beginning of the thread this morning and the further I read the more I thought to myself "that car sure looks like that one in Hot VWs". Finally got near the end the thread and sure enough it is...beautiful car. You have done what I believe many of us are shooting for when we start our own projects.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Update...

Suspension is in, Trans is in, Engine is in, 12v conversion done.

Engine is tuned and running great. I was able to spend a little more time getting the carb linkage dialed in and achieving full throttle pulls. Adjustment at the pedal assembly was the trick. Rebuilt trans is shifting through all gears, but still needs a tiny adjustment to be perfect. Did a few test runs outside the neighborhood, and I can tell the difference in engine performance. Revs faster. Carbs sound happy as well, great sound! Transmission feels great with 3rd & 4th feeling taller than the previous split-case trans. Looking forward to seeing what the cruising rpm will be. I did not push it much further, still need to get other things dialed in first.

Suspension is giving me the most trouble. I previously had adjustable spring plates to solve a leveling issue, but decided to remove and replace with stock spring plates. I just didn't like all the additional parts that make up adjustable spring plates and wanted to keep it simple. I've taken my time and indexed these spring plates with a proper angle gauge, side to side, and it still will not sit level side to side. I'm also not happy with the rear height, too low. So I'm on my 3rd go around, redoing the rear to get it right. I'm confident with time & patience, I will get it figured out, it's just frustrating work. I have new Sway A Way 24mm torsion bars (installed the correct direction, L & R), new bushings, new original VW spring plate covers, new hardware, etc..

The stance needs to be just right, or it won't have the right look. The effort will be worth it.
Only other issue to figure out is a set of fog lights that won't go off now, always on. All I did was change 6v Bosch relay for a 12v Bosch relay of identical type. I've checked wiring and it's a match from previous setup.

Looking forward to getting this all sorted and going for a rip. It feels like a proper sports car compared to driving my bus. Cool Oh and Max needs a good detailing once completed, feel bad about that.

Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

the 009 outperforming the glenn r 010 goes to show you that not all engine combos want the same thing... its pretty cool you had access to something to test out the tweaking Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

if your using the original torsion bars, one side could be sagging more from age. they are also labled left and right.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
if your using the original torsion bars, one side could be sagging more from age. they are also labled left and right.

Replaced with Sway-A-Way 24mm bars. L & R bars are in correct position. Finally have the stance back where I want it after 3rd attempt, looks good. Need an alignment next, and then I think I'm done for a while.

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Hey, Erik, I didn’t see it mentioned, but I would ditch those resistor plugs. I’ve tuned cars that wouldn’t even run on all 4 cylinders because of those resistor plugs. I put non resistor plugs in, the problem went away, and never came back. Your rotor has a resistor, the spark plug wire ends have resistors, and then adding resistor spark plugs isn’t going to allow your ignition system to function properly. I’m sure some people will argue this, but I’ve dealt with it numerous times. Get some NGK non resistor plugs, and stash some away for later.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

+1

Non-resistor unless you actually need resistor plugs.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Hey, Erik, I didn’t see it mentioned, but I would ditch those resistor plugs. I’ve tuned cars that wouldn’t even run on all 4 cylinders because of those resistor plugs. I put non resistor plugs in, the problem went away, and never came back. Your rotor has a resistor, the spark plug wire ends have resistors, and then adding resistor spark plugs isn’t going to allow your ignition system to function properly. I’m sure some people will argue this, but I’ve dealt with it numerous times. Get some NGK non resistor plugs, and stash some away for later.

I’m using NOS Bosch W8AC plugs (non-resistor). The ones in this photo were used (longer reach) so temp sensors/spacers could be used during dyno only.

owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Erik,

What steering wheel hub adapter are you using?

Cheers,

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

owdlvr wrote:
Erik,

What steering wheel hub adapter are you using?

Cheers,

-Dave

Dave, It’s a Moto-Lita hub for VW fitment. I’m not sure of part number but remember they didn’t have a lot of options for VW. It was a leap of faith and it fit just right. Bought directly from Moto-Lita in UK.

***UPDATE: Dave, here is the hub I purchased: https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/bosses/f8/?filters=607

Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Erik, thanks so much for posting your journey with Max. Very enlightening. Your interpretation of the venerable bug is such a tasteful creation. I have a few questions. I hope they are not redundant. Have you made any changes to the steering box? Are you running a stabilizer shock on the steering assembly? I know the 58 did not have one. I look forward to any further updates you may post. Bill
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Artistic gearhead wrote:
Erik, thanks so much for posting your journey with Max. Very enlightening. Your interpretation of the venerable bug is such a tasteful creation. I have a few questions. I hope they are not redundant. Have you made any changes to the steering box? Are you running a stabilizer shock on the steering assembly? I know the 58 did not have one. I look forward to any further updates you may post. Bill

Hi Bill, and thank you!

Steering box is stock (TRW, that seems to be working ok) and yes, beam has a stabilizer shock. Beam is an Empi 2" narrowed beam, that had a mount for the stabilizer shock.

Funny that you had a question regarding front beam, I'm not a fan of this Empi beam, it's just not great quality. I have a future project, in mind, to replace this beam with a stock VW beam, not narrowed. Fully rebuilt front beam, with new tie rods, torsion leafs, quality height adjusters, 356B spindles, etc, etc. I will need to make provisions for a stabilizer shock on this beam. I may also replace the TRW box with a quality rebuilt VW steering box. Not really solving an issue, just want to have higher quality parts up front. Stock width beam may improve handling too. I don't think the narrowed beam is creating any benefits, and I don't think it will change the look of the car much regarding wheel offset, may improve it.

I will have a small update soon on some new wheels going on Max, hopefully this week. Still wide-5 356 wheels, except these are early Lemmerz date stamped '58.

It's been 5 years since I started this thread..... 72k views later, wow!

Artistic gearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Erik, Thankyou for responding. I am at the beginning stage on my build. Making decisions about chassis now. In my parts pile I happen to have a later beam front end with stock stabilizer. (I am building a 58.) Thinking about welding stock bracket onto my 58 bar and using appropriate spindle. I’m really interested to hear you say you are considering going back to standard width beam. I love the stance of your current setup. I have a line on a set of 59 Porsche wheels that I had decided to use. Will your current wheel / tire setup be okay for clearance if you revert to standard width beam? One more question. I hope you don’t mind me picking your brain. What brand height adjuster do you consider to be high quality? Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: