Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

I have the same LED's from "Superbright LEDS" that jjvincent used
Vanielcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

I also just converted mine for less than $30 and added front floor lights. I was surprised how easy it was with some LED tape strips and new double pole switches (ordered matching ones to pop in the stock hole). Simply grounded the LED strips to old ground wire, ran power from the LED to one pole and power to the switch from stock wiring. Gutted the housing in the back of the light to hide the wires.

I then also spliced into the dome light power wire and grounded two more strips to the door plungers. Then I hid them up under the dash Giving me front floor well lights when the doors open.

I also spliced into the wiring for the light above the table and ran an LED to the upper bed. I then put a switch up front where the pop-outs for airvents are just under the bed. Giving me the ability to turn the lights off from downstairs or up in the bed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mgdetwiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

Can anyone share how they removed the old circuit board and switch? The plastic on the light housing is obviously old and brittle and I'm afraid of cracking and breaking it. I also don't want to destroy the circuit board just in case I need to keep the fluorescent bulbs working. Can you use the existing switch or do you have to purchase a new one for the LED's?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

Pop the flexible cover off the back to expose the circuit board, then de-solder the switch from the circuit board. Then you can remove the circuit board.
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

Vanielcraig wrote:
I also just converted mine for less than $30 and added front floor lights. I was surprised how easy it was with some LED tape strips and new double pole switches (ordered matching ones to pop in the stock hole). Simply grounded the LED strips to old ground wire, ran power from the LED to one pole and power to the switch from stock wiring. Gutted the housing in the back of the light to hide the wires.

I then also spliced into the dome light power wire and grounded two more strips to the door plungers. Then I hid them up under the dash Giving me front floor well lights when the doors open.

I also spliced into the wiring for the light above the table and ran an LED to the upper bed. I then put a switch up front where the pop-outs for airvents are just under the bed. Giving me the ability to turn the lights off from downstairs or up in the bed.

@Vanielcraig, do you mind explaining where you mounted the LED light housing upstairs? I am not readily envisioning where it would be located. Thanks.
Steve in Colorado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

First, thanks to every one in this thread! I did this mod too. I was unable to desolder the switch from the circuit board, so I had to use more of a caveman approach, breaking through the toggle and taking it out from the inside. Luckily I didn’t damage the surrounding plastic, but I’m not recommending my approach!

I used the LED strips jjvincent suggested, and as jjvincent also suggested for the rear light a two way switch with one strip on in one position and two in the other. I like markcm2’s idea for a dimmer, but I wanted something flush so I tried this touch switch for the table light:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RRVQ1TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to trim the opening a little with an xacto knife to get it in. The only problem is that the blue LED is pretty bright. I solved that with some vinyl electrical tape. So far so good.
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

The problem I have had is when plugged into shore power. The battery voltage jumps to 14.5 volts and fries the weaker LEDs in the LED strips. I also had one bulb fail in a way that caused it to strobe! Another set of LED bulbs are OK, so it may just be luck on how tolerant each LED device is to wide voltage swings.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

1994Karuso wrote:
The problem I have had is when plugged into shore power. The battery voltage jumps to 14.5 volts and fries the weaker LEDs in the LED strips. I also had one bulb fail in a way that caused it to strobe! Another set of LED bulbs are OK, so it may just be luck on how tolerant each LED device is to wide voltage swings.

You could wire one or two diodes in series with the leds to drop the voltage bit
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

Steve in Colorado wrote:
First, thanks to every one in this thread! I did this mod too. I was unable to desolder the switch from the circuit board, so I had to use more of a caveman approach, breaking through the toggle and taking it out from the inside. Luckily I didn’t damage the surrounding plastic, but I’m not recommending my approach!

Congrats! I also used the caveman approach and managed to not destroy the switch or bezel. I found the LEDs a huge improvement over the florescent bulbs, but they are almost a little too bright for my liking. I think when I have a chance to do the rear, I'll either install a dimmer or just use fewer LEDs.

1987 Vanagon GL Syncro SVX NAHT "Valkyrie"
1993 Eurovan Weekender "Camper van Beethoven"
1959 Bug
etherjazz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

I have a 2003 Weekender and found this post to be really helpful. I have a blog for our Weekender and I just posted a detailed description of how I did it. This includes a photo of where the two switch solder joints are on the circuit board. To see the post, go to https://westy.blog/changing-the-cabin-lights-to-led/

Here is a photo showing which solder joints to remove.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

That's a really nicely written set of instructions, along with some really helpful pictures. Now why didn't you post this 6 weeks ago, when I did mine?? Very Happy

Can you put together a photo tutorial on how to install a transmission cooler please!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

There are several YT vids on trans cooler installs. I've done two now, and routing the lines in a manner that doesn't chafe is the biggest challenge. Just be aware that the amount of hose supplied with the typical cooler used isn't enough, so have some extra on hand.

Back to the topic at hand. I mentioned earlier in this thread that you can easily tap into the ground triggered by the doors/hatch above the passenger rear light. This absolutely transforms the rear of the van at night.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

Most of my interior lights are now LEDs. With the availability of plug and play replacement LED bulbs now, replacing with LED strip lights seem to be more work then it is worth. The only light that needed some more work to install was the LED florescent light tube, which required rewiring the input wires to by pass the ballast.
juliusato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

hi ALL:

Do you know where to buy the cabin light set ?
I check my van , the part number is westfalia 506596.
When I upgraded it to led , but it was too hot and the case was melt.

So I want to buy a new case or maybe a whole set...
I can't find it on ebay, so if anyone know where to buy it , please send me a url or mail.
Thanks
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

What is the OE set up? Couldn't you just replace with LEDs of the same configuration; tube or bulbs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746039&highlight=led+tube

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765790&highlight=led
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 EV Weekender Cabin Florescent lights converted to LED Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the switched ground -- I found it in my weekender in the same spot you described! Did you only switch the light in that housing or did you find a path to route the same wire to the light on the passenger side? I don't see an easy way to snake it....

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Ok, I just got done converting the two aux. fluorescent lights to LED strips with solid and switched grounds. I really love them. Since we use ours as a daily hauler, this was seen as a necessity during the long dark winter nights around here.

As a tip for future installs, the switched ground from the hatch runs directly over the aux. light on the passenger side. It's wrapped in the gooey black fabric and is a single black wire inside. I found this out after futzing about inside the rear hatch, since I couldn't figure out a better way to determine which wire was which without diving into the source at the latch.

Also plan on desoldering the factory light switch from the circuit board on the backside PRIOR to removal of the board. Other than that, it's a really easy mod with solid results you'll appreciate immediately.

Thanks to jjvincent for the inspiration and guidance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: