Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

I'm thinking of fixing my 65's original radio and adding a chip to give me FM and aux output.
I don't want to upgrade to 12v from my current 6v, i want to keep it original.
I don't have a factory installed lighter.

Problem is, how to charge my iphone?

From reading threads:
6v works to charge, but 12v is better as it doesn't fluctuate and works at night with the lights on. It also charges reliably and quicker than 6v.

"6v-12v step-up circuit" and a fuse on a wire between the fuse box (or the battery) and a 12v lighter can be used to plug a charger into.

Is this correct?

Does anyone have pics of their setup?

Oh, this is similar to how i want to install it (without cutting the ashtray). I would hide the 12v lighter behind the dash and run the cable directly to the dock in the ashtray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

Do not connect DC-DC converter to battery (+30) because it drain current also when output is open.

Connect 6V side of converter to a +15 terminal so it is active only when ignition is on.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

I've just tapped straight into 6v and wired in a 12V socket in the glovebox for charging 12V accessories, always worked ok for me. Most gadgets these days will charge off a USB socket which is only 5V.

I've also done the dock in the ashtray thing, for an ipod...

Have used one of these small 6V to 12V boosters for years for small, low draw items like gauges, it's been very reliable...

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-6v-Positive-...tries%2A=0
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

I have done some similar installation, but have ditched the lighter socket (as almost everything is charged from USB today). Used a USB charger module that worked from 6V directly. This is 2 ashtray players I've done. Built in stereo amp and mounted a volume pot so the ashtray knob is on/off and volume. One have the USB charger and aux socket built in, the other I did a separate panel to be installed in the glovebox.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bustercat65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

This is very cool! Did installing an on off pot for the tray knob require any cutting into the unit, or did it drop in?

Can you tell me what usb/phone module you used instead of a lighter?

Can you show a bit more about how you wired it?

Frederik wrote:
I have done some similar installation, but have ditched the lighter socket (as almost everything is charged from USB today). Used a USB charger module that worked from 6V directly. This is 2 ashtray players I've done. Built in stereo amp and mounted a volume pot so the ashtray knob is on/off and volume. One have the USB charger and aux socket built in, the other I did a separate panel to be installed in the glovebox.

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

Super excited to see this thread is here.
While with my 64 camping last week, I realized that the only drawback I’ve encountered with 6V is. It having a way to recharge my phone when I’m on the road. Battery packs only last so long.
I’m curious about the USB charging here. Can anyone elaborate on what device they used/purchased to get power from the car to the USB for my iPhone?
My Bendix 1 was already converted by Richard Langenwalter and has his aux input. I’m connected to a small Bluetooth adapter which works well. But might be inclined to add the aux input as above here too.

Would this work? It’s rated for 12V which is my concern.
https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-powerpole-usb-conve...WYEALw_wcB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

That one might not work (rated for 10-32V input), but some "12v" chargers do. I've had success with this module used for 6V https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-DC-4-5-40V-To-5V-2A-...632-2357-0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

This is a cool setup for $40 in the classifieds:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2422197
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:

Ordered! That looks like a perfect option and for $48 USD you can’t really go wrong. I’ll post back with photos and thoughts when it arrives. Pics make it look like a well thought out part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

Nice! I've heard nothing but positive things about that item. I'll be ordering one myself when I'm in the reassembly stage of my project.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

I actually had seen his stuff a few months back during my own build and even messaged him to see if he could add aux-in or pass through from there with a wire that would go back to my radios aux input. He messaged back and I had meant to take photos of what I wanted to do. That said, I really found myself missing a way to make sure my phone was charged when I was out with my 64. This looks like it will be a perfect solution.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:

$40? Some people have too much money. For under $10 and without having a 3d printer, you can make one in 10 minutes. You can even add a quick disconnect that would allow you take out the ashtray if needed without having to unplug it from the fuse box first.

To each their own.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
$40? Some people have too much money. For under $10 and without having a 3d printer, you can make one in 10 minutes. You can even add a quick disconnect that would allow you take out the ashtray if needed without having to unplug it from the fuse box first.

You're giving me WAAAAY too much credit. Cool
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
sportin-wood wrote:

To each their own.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a more nonsensical response on TheSamba. Facebook, for sure. But a 3D printer and the time it took to design and print this is worth well more than the $40. Think before speaking next time so we don’t all realize how foolish you are.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: show your working 6v-12v phone charging setup in your 6v beetle Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:
sportin-wood wrote:

To each their own.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a more nonsensical response on TheSamba. Facebook, for sure. But a 3D printer and the time it took to design and print this is worth well more than the $40. Think before speaking next time so we don’t all realize how foolish you are.

WOW! Have a great life.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: