Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Fastback Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
Warms an old man's heart.
Really glad that people take time to read all this as it takes effort to create!

Have to only do the Fastback work in little bits here and there because i easily get burnt out on it at this point.

Once Brent's carb parts show up, with luck, I'll have a runnable/drivable car.
Anxious

In the meantime I'm learning VW transaxles..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758907

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Hi Clatter, Been a while since I've been on here let along post anything. Has been a long year with various work, school and family related issues I haven't made time to even take my square out long enough to enjoy the summer. I caught up on your post and I have to say your car is stunning. Congrats to you for building your masterpiece and refining as you go. I'm sorry to read you were treated poorly at the cars debut show. Kinda of a shitty way to have others grovel over parking areas but again, I guess that's what may revolve around their lives at shows. You were robbed of an honor but I'm sure people were well aware of your car and the work put into it. Keep plugging away on it and she'll come around. I haven't returned to my IDFs in a long while. Hope you get your carb deal sorted out. Best wishes.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Hey Monte,

Without you sending that seat spring I'd still be stuck in the doldrums.
Every little bit of help i got/get with this car i remember, and am eternally grateful for.

Waiting for these last carb bits,
(Another of many generous donations to the project),
And we can go back to making some noise.

And it does make some great noises.. Probably the best part. Cool
While i love my built Beetle motors, The Big Block sounds VERY different.

VROOOM!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Hey Monte,
And it does make some great noises.. Probably the best part. Cool
While i love my built Beetle motors, The Big Block sounds VERY different.

VROOOM!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yeah, I've noticed that with Rob's little 1700 T-4 engine, in that it definitely sounds different from a t-1/3 based engine. And a 1700 isn't very big either.
I think once you get your carbs sorted out, the wagon only cooling boot in place, you should have most of your engine issues taken care off. Keep at it Steve, eventually you'll get it right.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Love that photo!
Around the same time I fired up the T4 in the Notch I fired up a similar displacement T1 in the Lowlight.
The T4 sounds like a racing Porsche, the T1 sounds like a T1. I really think it is the exhaust design in my case even though I used the same muffler. Muffler not routed the same on T1 vs T4 and it is on an extractor. The T4 has a much longer route before entering the muffler.
Love that Photo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

CLASSY!
“He that goeth to bedde wyth Dogges, aryseth with fleas.”

"The Blue Submarine"
1977 Campmobile, Type 4 2.0 liter Federal, Non-Catalyst, Fuel Injected with Valvetrain from the type4store, 411 Heat Exchanger Preheaters, S&S Header, Supertrapp Silencer. ...and a lot of help from Clatter and TCash and friends!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

what a beauty this has become Cool
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Out driving around.. Cool

Trying to stay close to home until i can get it tuned.

My new favorite youtuber Tyrrell says that a ground-up resto will have about 20% of total build time spent fettling little details once the car is together.

Should be confidently driving highway in 2024.. Embarassed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDGyoUeAagc

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Very Happy looking sexy! Driving close to home is all you can do. my Drive to work is 24 miles... so I was doing 48 a day when I chose to go to work in the Fasty. It really helped in finding the faults. from carbs to oil leaks it really got it sorted.

Your doing great, just keep at it. Drive as much as you can, try not to be disgusted with all the annoying issues that pop up as they are bound to appear.
iamnotatwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Wow, that looks fantastic!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

I thought for a moment there was a spelling error with that good looking Fastback. It may be correct for all it cost ya!
Awesome car Clatter!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Very Happy looking sexy! Driving close to home is all you can do. my Drive to work is 24 miles... so I was doing 48 a day when I chose to go to work in the Fasty. It really helped in finding the faults. from carbs to oil leaks it really got it sorted.

Your doing great, just keep at it. Drive as much as you can, try not to be disgusted with all the annoying issues that pop up as they are bound to appear.

Yup, when I was doing my Notch the first time, I was working 6 miles away from work. I'd go to work, then drive home for lunch, then go back to work, then come home. Some days there'd be a beer run after work too. The main idea was to get as many miles on it as possible, to work out any issues. Then I changed jobs, and found myself driving 12 miles to work and 12 miles back home. The longer drives helped get the car ready for the Invasions I attended with it, as I could vary my trips and get on the freeway to run it hard for a few miles. I'd also go visit friends at the other end of the county (33 miles 1 way), or go to shows with an hour plus of freeway driving. All of those little things to shake out any potential problems. Eventually I got it where I could go anywhere without worry. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Tuning Getting Somewhere Reply with quote

After sulking a bit and doing other things,
We're starting to get somewhere.

Brent sent me a few more carb parts and i ordered a bunch from Pierce.

Putting some bigger airs in seems to have closed up the lean hole at cruise.

Planned a Saturday last week to go up north with Damon to get some more pics,
And do some surfing (or at least try Embarassed)

Had the pumps disabled, and the 57 idles still in,
But along the cool coast in the morning, the AFR stayed in the high 13s and the temps reasonable.

220 oil is still way hotter than my bus would run along the cool coast,
But it was a welcome relief to not have temps frying hot.

Jeff took some nice pics we hope to get in the magazine.

Funny how many tourists were taking pics, sometimes a few at once.
Was distracted and looked over to see a woman sitting on the car(!) Shocked
Where do these creatures come from?
Just about to lose my shit when she ran off..

After being in the water we went and got us some burgers and a beer or two.

It got downright cold after dark for the drive home.
The wideband was acting up and i put it away for the pics so it was just driving for a change.

Those Vintage Car LED headlights are amazing! Shocked
It's like driving in the daylight.
Better than any of the modern cars we have by far. Incredible.
(Mr. Duncan i will get you those pics - haven't forgotten)
That, and having all the dash lights the same, plus the heat rocking,
it was the first stress-free drive i ever got in the thing.
Nice to be driving what was essentially a new car without a bunch of janky annoyances like all my others.

Since it was cold i got my foot into it a bit. Cool
Highway 1 is a pretty epic 2-laner in these parts.
With that big tall 5th gear, when you get the revs up into the cam it goes.
On the cam, in 5th, is really something. it's unlike any other car I've ever driven.
The long long gearing is a PITA in town, but at speed makes sense and works.
And how! Shocked
Coming up on cars going the speed limit it's like they're stopped.
The brakes take just a tap with the toe to scrub 30 MPH in a half second.
5-4 downshift takes some attention, but I've gotten better.
4th at about 65 or so, it's right in the power.
Dotted line, no headlights coming, it walks around cars like they just had all four wheels fall off.
Like you're dodging them..

So there was a section where i was stuck behind a car and another car came up on my ass.
Opposing traffic came past but the line went solid.
Car came around both of us on a solid yellow.
A Mini Cooper - S with the center pipe.
Highway then went right to four lanes and i gave chase.
Can say now for sure that my car is not as fast as a Mini Cooper S.
At least not that one..
It will, however, easily go 120+.
It's a bit twitchy at that kind of speed.
Might be the big sway, and/or the heavy torsions?
Wish i woulda pie-cut the pan head for some caster in hindsight now..
Either way, I can tell you that this car is definitely what it appears.
All that mechanical stuff under there works, and works together well.

This thing drives completely unlike my Beetle - night and day - nothing like it.
The Beetle is light and nimble and fun around town.
Fastback is big and mean and loud and heavy and clunky and sluggish down low and generally unhappy in traffic.
Get it rolling, uncork it, and it all just comes together... Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

YES! A CLATTER UPDATE!

your making me jealous about those long gears.... Best i can get with the 1600 up here is 105 before i have to back off (revs).

sometimes it just takes some time away from the project , but i am so stoked to see you driving the fasty bro! very very cool!
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Awesome! So stoked to hear that things are coming together for you. Cool

Jealous of the fact that you have heat, I am gonna have to get some tubing and fab up some pie cut weird squirrelly elbows to get the 411 heat exchangers to play with the 914 flapper boxes with the T3 cables and hose connections Confused

Actually I'm just jealous of the whole car, not sure my setup will be enough to convert you to the dark side of EFI now that yours is coming together so well Embarassed You're making me feel bad about my beat up rattle-can semi-in-progress setup Wink

Congratulations though, that's gotta feel good!

-Derek
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

good to see it's working better, T3's tend to draw people because they're not very common,, a shiny black one would draw them like flies Cool

actually sitting on the car??? Shocked Evil or Very Mad probably posting video of her new car on tiktok Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Funny how many tourists were taking pics, sometimes a few at once.
Was distracted and looked over to see a woman sitting on the car(!) Shocked
Where do these creatures come from?
Just about to lose my shit when she ran off..

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
YES! A CLATTER UPDATE!

your making me jealous about those long gears.... Best i can get with the 1600 up here is 105 before i have to back off (revs).

sometimes it just takes some time away from the project , but i am so stoked to see you driving the fasty bro! very very cool!

YES, I agree a Clatter update Yea!!
Where you'll love those "long gears" will be out on the open highway. They're no good around town, other than staying in the lower gears longer to stay in the torque curve. I only say that, as I've got a 3.88 out of a 73 super beetle in my Notch, and that's where I notice it the most (freeway and in town). When you're cruising on the freeway @80 all day long, that's where you notice and like the long gears. At least I do. Wink I've never tried to find the top end MPH wise, but going down some of those hills in Missouri will get your attention. Laughing

Glad to see you out putting miles on it, and taking pics while out and about. That's what that car really needs...to be driven. Great job, and keep after it. Let it earn it's stone chips with pride. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
good to see it's working better, T3's tend to draw people because they're not very common,, a shiny black one would draw them like flies Cool

actually sitting on the car??? Shocked Evil or Very Mad probably posting video of her new car on tiktok Rolling Eyes

Probably just another "influencer" trying to make money off Steve's car, claiming it's hers. Laughing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got a great highway cruiser Steve! Love your description too. I feel like I was along for the ride!

Max
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
This is a car we all did. Not just me.
Just an act of encouragement here contributes.

The last drive was a real surprise and totally caught me off-guard.
Might have anticipated it, but, just, didn't. Eh?

Bob mentioned the 3.88 later VW trans.
Have one of those in my Oval; they're way more practical, especially around town.
The 912E trans in my car was designed for 14" wheels.
It's WAY taller than an SSC 3.88, just the first four gears.

Also,
My car is technically 'over-cammed'.
A 163/86B is "too much" for a little 2056 with 'small' valves.
The carbs are also 'too big', and the exhaust as well.
It's not soggy down low per se, it's a type 4 after all,
But it needs some revs to make real power.
Up until last weekend, I'd never had it on the cam in an upper gear.
The 3-4-5 gears are tight,
But 1st is like 2nd in any other car, and 2nd is like 4th. Shocked
Anything that happens on the cam in these upper gears is going to be exciting.
On the cam _and_ in 5th - it's trying to go to the moon..
Hard to describe - like warp drive.
Remember when the Millenium Flacon makes the jump to light speed?
This i didn't anticipate and comes as a real surprise.

There's talk of built hot rods that the motor 'overpowers the chassis',
And I've ridden in a couple muscle cars where this is true.
My car you don't notice it until you're on it in 5th.
The powertrain puts the car in a place where it wasn't designed to go.
Where it doesn't belong really.
Fun, but also scary.

There's a lot of bad things that can happen in an old car above 120MPH.
I know myself, and when i have something i will use it.
Impulse control issues i guess..

TBPH, a more 'drag' car - light with low gears - actually makes more sense.
Do burnouts, launch it at stoplights, charge up to speed then shut it right back down,
These are more practical activities ( Laughing ) than just going really really fast.

Even around town, nudge it a bit in 2nd to 'get going', and now I'm traveling surface streets at dangerous illegal speeds.

I've created a monster!

Now what!?! Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Page 213 of 216

Jump to: