Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 exhaust tips ?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

Has anyone put chrome tips on a bone stock 74 exhaust exiting through the bumper holes. Its only 1" pipe and I'm guessing 5-6" long to play with. I don't think stock bug pea shooters would fit even cut down. Be nice to get something flared out to fill the giant bumper holes a bit better.
Exhaust is fine....just trying to jazz up the tips

Thoughts ?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

Remember your engine moves around, hence the large holes. Rev it up sharply and then let off fully on the throttle to see the extend of the rocking. It will also move up and down when load is applied to the wheels and can go all over the place going over bumps.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

Yep....know what you mean about the movement. Not wanting something huge, just a chrome tip that looks good.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

I would actually like some exhaust tips to quiet down the engine sound. It is a stock Thing muffler system. Looking at some Beetle videos, a Bettle without its tips sounds like a stock Thing exhaust. The tips clearly dampen the sound on the Beetle.

I thought about cutting the pipe that goes through the bumper as far back as I could then adding Bettle tips with the stock baffles. Not quite sure how to connect the two. Both are about 1 1/4" OD. Even then, the Bettle tips are pretty long and they would stick out a bit. I expect the length improves the noise dampening. But, any other product out there that might be easier to implement?
Dennis48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

This is a timely topic for me because I am thinking about adding tips onto my exhaust system, but for a different reason. Mine is a 73 so there are no heater tubes, and yet when driving I smell exhaust in the cabin. A friend suggested clamp-on tips to make sure the exhaust gets outside the bumper and that sounds reasonable to me.
So I have figured out how to do it but then at the last minute, just this afternoon, I realized that the bumper is there to protect the whole back of the car, including the engine and exhaust system. If the exhaust tips stick out beyond the bumper, they could get bumped by another car and the exhaust tips might take the brunt of the impact instead of the bumper, and in turn, damage the header system.
Anyone have any thoughts about this idea, and also does anyone else have exhaust fumes in their cabin when the top is up and the front windows open half way?
Thanks for starting this topic.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

Can you have the tips flush with the bumper? Never had the exhaust smell problem you talk of on my 73.
Dennis48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

Having the tips flush with the bumper might work and it would be a much simpler fix. I will have to study that a bit and maybe make some prototypes to test. Thanks for the idea.
It's hard to imagine what else could be causing that smell. I could see it possibly happening if I was using the gas heater but it's not cold enough to try that and that heater blows really too hot to try that on a warm day.
pallettman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

When I got my 74, the PO had put tailpipe extensions on it. First of all, it looks terrible. I have the black exhaust with J tubes. It is a little louder than I would like, but it is fairly new so--. Another thing I did not like is they are a shin killer if you are not careful. Especially when they get hot.

Now if they made an insert to fit inside the tailpipe that would be even with the tailpipe end and not pass the end, that would be the cats meow.
Dennis48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 exhaust tips ? Reply with quote

Today I went to a local exhaust specialty shop and they made two tips for me that will stick out through the bumper about 1/2" and they fit nice and snug on the mufflers so I will clamp them on with HD muffler clamps I found at auto zone and if there is a problem of any kind I can just un-clamp and take them back off. No mods necessary and I won't even have to take off the rear bumper to install/remove them.
Another nice thing about finding this shop is he will build a dual exhaust system on my 2014 F-150 with the 5 liter v8, and equip it with mild glass packs that sound superb and not loud.
Too bad I can't get the Thing to sound that nice.
Like you, palletman, I don't like loud exhaust.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: