Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdydatzigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install Reply with quote

I am restoring a '69 Beetle sedan autostick and years ago I purchased the replica NOS dome light from WW that fits late-1952 through 1969 models.
See below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two questions:

1) Which wires (brown and red) goes on which ends, and do you literally just screw the wire ends tightly into those brass holes?

2) This dome light didn't come with a retaining clip, does the whole thing just sort of push into the hole in the headliner and stay put?

Thanks in advance!

'69 Beetle Autostick

"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install Reply with quote

Brown is ground and comes from the door switch and red is positive with comes from the fuse box. There should be a clip that holds it in place unless the one you have was broken or missing.
cdydatzigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
Brown is ground and comes from the door switch and red is positive with comes from the fuse box.

This I know, I meant does it matter on what ends of the dome light these two wires hook up to?

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
There should be a clip that holds it in place unless the one you have was broken or missing.

The aftermarket ones I've seen on other sites have a clip like that, but none of the ones that are this style (either NOS or replicas) have these clips.

'69 Beetle Autostick

"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install Reply with quote

Brown is ground and comes from the door switch and red is positive with comes from the fuse box. There should be a clip that holds it in place unless the one you have was broken or missing.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install Reply with quote

cdydatzigs wrote:
Michael Ambrozik wrote:
Brown is ground and comes from the door switch and red is positive with comes from the fuse box.

This I know, I meant does it matter on what ends of the dome light these two wires hook up to?

No.
Plot61296
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install Reply with quote

Yes it actually matters which way they are connected.
Please check the wiring diagrams under Technical-Wiring.
Brown wire goes to the end where the switch is and red wire to the other end.
If they are connected other way around you can’t turn the dome light on from the switch when the doors are closed.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West replica German Hella dome light install Reply with quote

And if the red wire goes by the switch on the light (which gets installed closest to the door) you will blow the fuse. Brown wire goes at the light switch connector and red switch goes on the opposite end. The wires should have bare wire about 1/4 inch long (tin it with solder) and you tighten the screw to hold it in place. The light does just push in to hold it in place. You may have to trim the headliner away from the edge of the hole on the door post side so the light can ground when you turn the light on with the door closed. I just replaced my original with one of these. It is a TIGHT fit but it works fine and looks good.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: