Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Oh yea that looks mo betta Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Heck Dave your all done... nutten but straight lengths now! Looks good my friend!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

So did you get it done in time for the weekend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

No...finishing up pinned removable rear seat mount now. Then still fuel tank and reassembly.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

So are ya gonna show this thing off or not?
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Sorry, been a crazy few days.

Carb float adjustment.

Whoops, that's not dry yet! Get out and push, babe!

We had a blast, despite the chilly wind. Then the rear wheel fell off the Dodge on the way out, wrecked the front axle on the trailer, etc...

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Turned out great David! so red white and blue? Looks like a fun trip as well. For all the years I've been running around out there I think Ive only been by the Arial Grave Yard once and that was when I was about your kids age. Id like find my way back there and look around for awhile being ex Air Force and all. Did you camp at superstition and Ocotillo Wells?
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Took all day Sat to finish, went out just for Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for serving! Come down for a visit and I'll take you out there.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

So how did it work? Carb issues?
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Adjusting the float...it floods low speed bouncing around, so I lowered it, but it was running out of gas on the top end. Gotta get rid of that stupid progressive and get my Zenith rebuilt and on there.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

The flooding out at low speed in bumpy terrain is why many offroaders don't like the Progressive carb. The float bowl vent is an opening into the throat of the carb, which means that in rough terrain fuel can slosh into the throat and flood it out. The fix is to block off that opening with a piece of aluminum sheet epoxied into place and a fitting tapped into a hole drilled in the top of the float chamber. I'd have to dig out the carb I have to see just how to go about it. I've seen it done with good result before. But I've not done it on one of the Holley-Webers myself. And I'm a little suspicious of epoxy in long-term contact with modern gasoline anyway. A Zenith is an excellent carb for the job.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Thank you, sir!
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Gents, I could use some insight. I took the buggy out for the first run of the season a few weeks ago. Ran good but brakes faded away. Busy with the Dodge and the Deuce and a half so I took it to the local VW guy. He found a leaky brake line. Brakes work great now. While it was there, he also installed a relay kit for the starter, cleaned up some wiring, added some grounds, stuff I'd been meaning to do.

ISSUE : Also installed Pertonix kit and 3.0 ohm Flamethrower coil. Now it pops, cracks, breaks up, blows black smoke once the RPMs get up a little, load or not. Checked plugs, dirty, cleaned contacts...maybe spark shorting down thru the carbon? New plugs tomorrow.
12.83volts to coil.

Noticed the reluctor wheel fits loose on the distrib shaft. Another one coming tomorrow, but tonight I tried putting electrical tape on it to hold it snug, no help. Played with timing while breaking up, no improvement. Anything I'm missing? Maybe wires, they are of unknown age and have been in the sun too much...but it was fine before the Pertronix.

009 and Progressive

Hoping to get it going for Thanksgiving...need to dig up a set of points....

Help appreciated.
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Hmmm...

http://www.calverst.com/technical-info/ignition-pertronix-ignitor-issues/
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Attempted to break her out for the season and the DGAV is dumping raw gas down the primary bore and won’t really run. Tried cleaning it out to no avail, gonna get a kit. Have to be careful though, it seems once before I ordered one and everything was too big. 26/27 venturis in this one.

Still has the ignition breakup at higher RPM as well. Guess I need to look into the grounds per the link I posted. IIRC, last year I took the electronic out and put the points back in, but that caused the coil to overheat and not run. Wrong coils for points I suspect. Flamethrower...
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Hey All:

Update, my kids outgrew our little buggy. Stumbled on a true 4 seater 1835 dual carb, 4.88 bus trans, coilovers etc. Need to do carbs and put tires on it for this winter, woo!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Picture, we NEED pictures!!
DavidWymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy with a hunting buggy to be sand rail Reply with quote

Not much to see now. Rail with flat tires. I'll get some.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: