Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Yes pastellgreen, you are correct, not EVERYTHING. The body numbers are not written down after sometime in mid 1942 and there is no mention where the bodies were built. This information is from the Dr. Wiersch and Grieger-Mommsen books and is quite well documented. But I meant that Wagenstammkartei/Bücher are diligently filled all the way up to 10 April 1945, precise monthly production reports and production plans reaching to Dec 1945 are drafted and sent to Berlin and according to Grieger-Mommsen these reports include remarks that still in March 1945 the factory leadership was absolutely convinced of the German final victory. There are also quite a few production pictures and film strips from vehicle production during the war but try asking them from VW.........

Interesting to know you worked with the Certificates. Please share more about your experiences but of course you can´t.

It if of course a pitty that the VW Company policy does not allow the engine number to be given out anymore. This would not, as I understand it and correct me if I am wrong, restrict a third party who already has this information to pass it along as these regulations/policy restrict the manufacturer only. There is quite a bit of pre-2006 data luckily, both individuals with specific vehicle data and excerps/copies from the factory "Wagenstammbücher". And yes, amazingly there is a good number of especially Kübels, some Schwimmers and even a few KdF-Beetles with the original engines. The missing data will find it´s way to VW fans around the world and this website, eventually. I do not think a single 1944 engine number will be used for illicit vehicle trafficing/cloning in Eastern Europe.....
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Looking at the WW2 production chart, I'm guessing Schwimmwagens had their own separate chassis numbering system. If you subtract out the number of Schwimmwagens, adding up the bottom line totals gives you the last chassis number for the years 1940-1943.
1006 + 4650 = 5656
1006 + 4650 + 9238 - 511 = 14383
1006 + 4650 + 9238 + 26177 - 511 - 8258 = 32302
However, when adding the totals for 1944 the number is 47679, not 47665. And the April 10, 1945 number adds up to 52009, not 51995. Are we to assume the WW2 production chart has the wrong numbers for 1944 and for April 10, 1945?
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

All vehicle types except Schwimmwagens are included in the same serial number run, Beetles, Kübels. From about 1942 the serial number just has a prefix denoting the vehicle type: 1 for KdF Type 60 (regular Beetle), 2 for Kübelwagen Type 82, 5 for KdF Type 82e (referred to as "Kommandeurwagen" in the factory production reports), 7 for Schwimmwagen Type 166 (total Schwimmwagen production numbers likely include Type 128, which was produced in small numbers until 1944). Body numbers had their vehicle specific number run and was written down in the factory book up to about mid 1942. Engines were also in the general number run with the same prefix as the vehicle type, additionally industrial engines were built with a 6- prefix.

Your logic is correct, 66285 vehicles produced from 1940 to 10 April 1945. You subtract the 14276 Schwimmwagen Types 128/166 and get the number 52009. However, we know that the last number was 2-051995.

The WW2 production data in the table is likely correct as it coincides with other lists and comes from a very reliable source (Grieger-Mommsen book; Dr. Manfred Grieger was the Chief Historian of the VW and had unlimited access to all production data.). Also, the last number for 10 April 1945, 2-051995 comes from a similarly reliable source, Dr. Bernd Wiersch, who for a long time was in director of the Stiftung Automuseum Volkswagen and issued and signed the Birth Certificates and had also unlimited access to factory data. Dr. Wiersch published the last WW2 serial number in his book, "Die Käferkronik".

The number of vehicles produced and the last number for 10 April 1945 from above sources are reliable. Since VW refuses to release the relevant information, we need to work around theses figures. The table production numbers do not necessarily add up 100% due to many reasons: WW2 production might have had disruptions, some vehicles (or partially assembled vehicles still on the assembly line) were destroyed in the 1944 US Air Force bombing raids, etc. Therefore 14 numbers are missing from serial number count from 1940 to 10 April 1945.

Something similar happened after 10 April 1945. After the SS guards left their posts, the Russian POWs started vandalizing vehicles on the assembly line and again some serial numbers vanished. Post war production begins at 2-052016. Another 21 serial numbers. According to Dr. Wiersch, when production commenced on 8 May 1945, vandalized and unfinished vehicles on the assembly line were dismantled for parts to build complete vehicles. Also, some very early vehicles did not have a serial number or a body number (the British later established a new body numbering system with a 100-prefix). The new production begin in May 1945 was somewhat chaotic. Since there were not enough employees with POWs released, the German factory leadership was ordered at gunpoint by the Americans to work on the assembly line. One can think that filling the Wagenstammbuch diligently was not their first priority.

Total 1945 vehicle production was 6115 units (1 Jan to 31 Dec). The last 1945 serial number is 2-053814. If you add to 51995 the number of vehicles produced after 10 April 1945, total of 1785, you get 53780. Unaccounted for are 34 serial numbers. Take away the 21 serial numbers likely destroyed/dismantled after April 1945 and you still have 13 serial numbers that were lost between 8 May - 31 Dec 1945 for reasons mentioned above.

We cannot get the 1944 numbers from VW. The engine number cannot be calculated as engines were not assembled into vehicles in a sequential order. Here is an example from 1945 (from the "Wagenstammbuch"):
- 20 March 1945: engines with numbers 2-0764XX, 2-0768XX, 2-0769XX, 2-0770XX
- April 1945: 2-074XXX, 2-075XXX, 2-076XXX, 2-077XXX
- May 1945: 2-077XXX, 2-071XXX, 2-072XXX

1 Jan to 10 April 1945 is a good base for calculating the 1944 last serial number as:
- production period was only a little over 3 months
- production was very low and precisely documented and not disrupted by air raids
- we know the exact last number of 10 April 1945

Therefore the last 1944 serial number is likely 2-047665 and not 2-047679. This number can be double checked if we ever get the last page of the 1944 factory book. I am sure this will happen but give it time and then we have the last engine number too. The main objective of this thread was to correct the 1945 figures and this we can achieved beyond doubt.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

FINALLY found the correct WW2 serial/engine number listing. Based on notes taken by Dr. Ulrich von Pidoll in the early 90s when the information was still available. We should amend the VIN listing on this forum accordingly:

Last serial number 1944: 2-047781
Last engine number 1944: 2-071260
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Another important clarification taken from the original Wagenstammkartei, factory book with production data verified by Dr. Ulrich von Pidoll. I asked clarification about the last numbers for 10 April 1945 when production ended after the last shift of the day in a "Panzeralarm". This marked the end of WW2 at the factory.

Dr. Pidoll took down the last numbers for that day and they do not match with the numbers presented earlier in this thread. These are the actual figures from the factory books so the VIN listing should once more be amended:

- the last chassis number written in the Wagenstammkartei on 11 April 1945 is 2-052021, the last engine number is 2-076810.

Then there is a break in the factory book, a blank page and the production begins in May 1945 with 2-052022. The first engine number is 2-076811.

Many sources say that Kübelwagens were vandalized and stolen by forced labor and Soviet POWs released the next day after the SS guards left before the American troops were persuaded by the factory personnel to establish law and order in the factory on 14 April. When production started vandalized vehicles remaining on the production line were parted out to get parts for Kübels being put together. Production began on 14 May 1945 with five Kübels. Some of the vehicles likely from 2-051995 to 2-052022 never were finished or made it out of the factory in one piece.

We must go with the documented factory figures which may or may not be accurate. We are VERY lucky that somebody took down this information before the ridiculous policy of classifying all factory data took came into effect in 2006.

This marks the completion of this thread with all relevant serial numbers for WW2.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Here is the listing from Dr. von Pidoll´s book.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One question does remain. The Wagenstammkartei says 1000 vehicles were produced in 1940 although from factory statistics we know 1006 were built. As we do not know how the 1006 were numbered I would change the listing back to 1000 per the actual figures in the Wagenstammkartei?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

mikeandkirsti wrote:

One question does remain. The Wagenstammkartei says 1000 vehicles were produced in 1940 although from factory statistics we know 1006 were built. As we do not know how the 1006 were numbered I would change the listing back to 1000 per the actual figures in the Wagenstammkartei?

yes, but perhaps indicate that 6 extra cars may have been made that year

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

finster wrote:
mikeandkirsti wrote:

yes, but perhaps indicate that 6 extra cars may have been made that year

Yes, done.
iwlego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Hi all,

interesting threat which I unfortunately only saw now. Thanks for starting it and have this discussion ongoing!

According top the list in Dr. Pidoll's book, the first type 60 with a 1-xxxxx number is

1-5640 engine number 1-6056 produced on December 20th, 1941

This car even survived and is in the hands of Hermann Walter in Germany. I have not seen the car but what I heard it is fully restored.

As a matter of fact, I own a type 60 with original chassis number from 1943 and I think it makes no sense to just assume 2-xxxxxx until end of the war.

There was 1-xxxxx, 2-xxxxx, 3-xxxxx (these were prototypes and e.g. some engines also had 3-xxxxx), 5-xxxxx for the type 82e and 92. In fact according to the list of Pidoll, the first type 92 were labeled 2-11696 to 2-11705. One of these cars survived as well and is owned by Jacek Krajewski in Poland.

The real issue I have is after WW2 production and it is more related to the body number rather than the chassis number. Did the VW factory start again with body numbers 1 after the war? I have a 1945 type 51 beetle produced end of December 1945 with a body number of 819. Björn Svanberg has a body with number 693 stamped in the wall behind the spare wheel. Does anybody has some information about these numbers?

Thanks
Richard
4-43 Type 82e KdF
5-43 Type 82e KdF
8-46 Standard
7-48 Standard
9-48 early Export
7-49 Standard
2-50 Hebmüller
4-50 Export
10-51 Export ragtop
10-50 Barndoor Minibus
5-52 Export
8-52 Barndoor Magirus fire truck
3-53 Barndoor Smoothgate Pickup
6-53 Barndoor Ambulance
9-54 Barndoor Deluxe Samba
Joel (Beany) Coupland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

OK I have been blessed with a Kubel project that is on a 50s floor pan the only information I have is a Body number and a few indicators that the body is around 1942 . the number is 16925 were do I look to find out this is correct or that we have a ringer of a body.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

iwlego wrote:
Hi all,

interesting threat which I unfortunately only saw now. Thanks for starting it and have this discussion ongoing!

According top the list in Dr. Pidoll's book, the first type 60 with a 1-xxxxx number is

1-5640 engine number 1-6056 produced on December 20th, 1941

This car even survived and is in the hands of Hermann Walter in Germany. I have not seen the car but what I heard it is fully restored.

As a matter of fact, I own a type 60 with original chassis number from 1943 and I think it makes no sense to just assume 2-xxxxxx until end of the war.

There was 1-xxxxx, 2-xxxxx, 3-xxxxx (these were prototypes and e.g. some engines also had 3-xxxxx), 5-xxxxx for the type 82e and 92. In fact according to the list of Pidoll, the first type 92 were labeled 2-11696 to 2-11705. One of these cars survived as well and is owned by Jacek Krajewski in Poland.

The real issue I have is after WW2 production and it is more related to the body number rather than the chassis number. Did the VW factory start again with body numbers 1 after the war? I have a 1945 type 51 beetle produced end of December 1945 with a body number of 819. Björn Svanberg has a body with number 693 stamped in the wall behind the spare wheel. Does anybody has some information about these numbers?

Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard,
Yes there was Type 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 but the first and last numbers of every year have been checked and they are by chance Type 2 cars or Kübelwagens. In 1940 the prefix was not used and the first and last number for 1941 was a Kübelwagen.

The body numbers are not known after 1942 so is not possible to track the Svanberg body (it came from Finland) with number 693 but it is assumed it was a rebuilt 1943 body. Unfortunately the same with your body 819 which is also older than 1945.

1941 Beetles are in existance in Germany and in the Czech Republic. There was once one in Finland too close to the number of the Czech car. Unfortunately it has been scrapped. We have to check the first Beetle serial number but I think it was from von Pidoll´s book.

Regards,
Mikael
Panzergrenadier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I'm new to this Forum. I own a 1945 Kübelwagen with serialnumber 2-05188*. According to a letter from Volkswagen it was produced and given out on 9 April 1945.

What do you guys know about the body-numbers? there is one present on my Kübelwagen. I've read here that they stopped recording them in 1942, correct?
What are the body-numbers up until that date?

Regards,
Rick.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Panzergrenadier wrote:
Hello guys,

I'm new to this Forum. I own a 1945 Kübelwagen with serialnumber 2-05188*. According to a letter from Volkswagen it was produced and given out on 9 April 1945.

What do you guys know about the body-numbers? there is one present on my Kübelwagen. I've read here that they stopped recording them in 1942, correct?

Regards,
Rick.

Wow that must be one of the last surviving Kübels built before the end of the war on 10 April 1945 when the production stopped. What delivery address does it show?

What is your body number, 48***? Body numbers are not written down in the Wagenstammkartei after about mid 1942. I do not have the numbers and VW does not give anything out anylonger but they are below 10 000.
Panzergrenadier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

mikeandkirsti wrote:
Panzergrenadier wrote:
Hello guys,

Regards,
Rick.

Wow that must be one of the last surviving Kübels built before the end of the war on 10 April 1945 when the production stopped. What delivery address does it show?

What is your body number, 48***? Body numbers are not written down in the Wagenstammkartei after about mid 1942. I do not have the numbers and VW does not give anything out anylonger but they are below 10 000.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
The body number is 493**, does that seem correct for an April 1945 Kübelwagen?

According to Volkswagen it was given to a Panzergrenadier-Marschkompanie (mechanized infantry transit-Company). Unfortunately no further unit designation, but there can't have been too many of those units in that area in April 1945. These transit units were short-lived anyway, as they were meant to be absorbed by the actual combat units upon arriving at the front.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Panzergrenadier wrote:
mikeandkirsti wrote:
Panzergrenadier wrote:
Hello guys,

Regards,
Rick.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

According to Volkswagen it was given to a Panzergrenadier-Marschkompanie (mechanized infantry transit-Company). Unfortunately no further unit designation, but there can't have been too many of those units in that area in April 1945. These transit units were short-lived anyway, as they were meant to be absorbed by the actual combat units upon arriving at the front.

There is one Kübel built 6 April 1945, chassis 2-051542 with body number 48002, other March-April Kübels have also 48*** body numbers while earlier February/early March Kübels have body numbers 49*** but since bodies were not installed in order your body may well be the original. The 48000 series bodies were produced at Volkswagenwerk while 49000 series bodies were made earlier by Ambi-Budd in Berlin. The deliveries from Ambi-Budd ended in early March and body dies were moved with trucks during the night from Berlin to VW-Werk so 49000 series bodies were made in February. Still it is possible that a February delivered body was mounted on a Kübel chassis in April. Many 49000 series bodies are in post war Kübels. The Ambi-Budd body number stamps are a bit larger than Volkswagenwerk numbers. Many times 49000 series were utilized in post war production and in factory rebuilt Kübels as replacement bodies.

It is a little confusing but 49000 bodies are older than 48000 bodies and this is due to the confusion in the late stage of the war. The reason why the body dies were trucked to the Volkswagenwerk is because the railway transports from Berlin to the plant were frequently halted by Allied air raids.

If the body has the original data plate intact it is likely the original body. The March/April 1945 data plate is different from earlier and later ones. It has Type 82 embossed, not stamped as are the weights. Earlier and later ones are stamped. Also Baujahr says ”194” embossed and ”5” stamped. How is your’s?

The above Kübel 2-051542 has the original data plate as described above so 48002 is the original body. My Kübel is built 20.3.1945 with chassis 2-05138* and body 4830* numbers matching also with the original data plate.

Last chassis built on 10 April after the last shift was 2-052021.

Do you have the original engine? Last engine built 10 April was 2-076810.
Panzergrenadier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

mikeandkirsti wrote:
Panzergrenadier wrote:
mikeandkirsti wrote:
Panzergrenadier wrote:
Hello guys,

Regards,
Rick.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

There is one Kübel built 6 April 1945, chassis 2-051542 with body number 48002, other March-April Kübels have also 48*** body numbers while earlier February/early March Kübels have body numbers 49*** but since bodies were not installed in order your body may well be the original. The 48000 series bodies were produced at Volkswagenwerk while 49000 series bodies were made earlier by Ambi-Budd in Berlin. The deliveries from Ambi-Budd ended in early March and body dies were moved with trucks during the night from Berlin to VW-Werk so 49000 series bodies were made in February. Still it is possible that a February delivered body was mounted on a Kübel chassis in April. Many 49000 series bodies are in post war Kübels. The Ambi-Budd body number stamps are a bit larger than Volkswagenwerk numbers. Many times 49000 series were utilized in post war production and in factory rebuilt Kübels as replacement bodies.

It is a little confusing but 49000 bodies are older than 48000 bodies and this is due to the confusion in the late stage of the war. The reason why the body dies were trucked to the Volkswagenwerk is because the railway transports from Berlin to the plant were frequently halted by Allied air raids.

If the body has the original data plate intact it is likely the original body. The March/April 1945 data plate is different from earlier and later ones. It has Type 82 embossed, not stamped as are the weights. Earlier and later ones are stamped. Also Baujahr says ”194” embossed and ”5” stamped. How is your’s?

The above Kübel 2-051542 has the original data plate as described above so 48002 is the original body. My Kübel is built 20.3.1945 with chassis 2-05138* and body 4830* numbers matching also with the original data plate.

Last chassis built on 10 April after the last shift was 2-052021.

Do you have the original engine? Last engine built 10 April was 2-076810.

Thanks again for the information.

With only around a month and a half in between the last delivery and production of my Kübel, its possible that the body is original to the chassis. Especially as, like you said, they didn't used them in order and didn't record the body-numbers. But both being from 1945 i am happy. As they used the Ambi-Budd body's allot in rebuilds and post-war Kübels i can imagine that they had them stacked up at the factory. Perhaps they run out of VW body's in the last production days and used Ambi-Budd body's, or they just used them both?

My Kübel is in storage now, i'm going back to it late next month. I'll take a look at the date plate. What should be the correct location for it? and what was the correct way that they attached it to the body?
I remember it has a date plate in the back, close to the engine. And, now that i think of it, another plate next to it with ABP on it (Ambi-Budd's logo).

The original engine is not present, it has a postwar engine in it.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

The data plate is located here in the 1945 Kübel (as in older ones too). Please note that the pressing for the plate is longer and different from earlier ones as the earlier data plate was shorter/taller, there is NO Ambi-Budd plate after about mid 1943, so if your 1945 Kübel has the Ambi-Budd plate, it is added later by a restorer. Please note that after February 1945 the Mann Wirbelluftfilter air cleaner was not used as deliveries from Mann stopped so the KdF-Wagen mushroom filter was used. There is no hole for the venturi exhaust connection in the rear apron tin:

The plate is riveted with aluminum rivets and there is a phosphate plating; here is a closer view:

This data plate is special for only March-April 1945, very rare, original from my Kübel and removed only for restoration, now reattached. Vehicle type, weights, cm3 are EMBOSSED, also year of manufacture partly emossed only "5" stamped. All the above is stamped in earlier and also in later post war Kübels. After the war the British changed the type code to 21 for the Kübel so data plates with "82" could not be used any longer.

1945 Kübels are rare as not many were built from Jan to April 1945 and many were either destroyed in the last stages of the war or the ones that survived were used up in post war Germany and scrapped. There was also no rust protection/primer under the top paint coat, only Dunklegelb surface coat, so the 45s were more prone to rust than earlier Kübels. On the other hand they are the best built Kübels with stonger aluminum engine and transmission cases, sturdier front axle and king pins etc. Interestingly many sheet metal parts are spot welded on in these late models. Many rubber parts are deleted.
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

How about plates like this one? Type 82 is embossed, what was the other type option?
From some reason the "Hubraum" is 1130 and not 1131.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

T2_681 wrote:
How about plates like this one? Type 82 is embossed, what was the other type option?

Type 128, Type 166, Type 92, Type 82E...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: WW2 CORRECT VW serial numbers Reply with quote

Obviously only one of these was embossed beside 82 before they stamped it over.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: