Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1964SunRoof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

I recently installed a new gas tank in my 64 Beetle. After adding fuel, I discovered nothing was reaching the fuel pump. The fuel hose going into fuel pump could be removed, with no fuel spilling out. Here is photo of underneath the fuel tank. I guess the hose got bent too severely and that is why it wasn't flowing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anybody know how long the fuel hose should be there. I'd really like to know how long it was out of the factory? I thought I had made it long enough, I could even pull the tank out enough so I could reach in there with things still connected (I have this idea, possibly wrong, that it should be as short as possible). But with this new tank from WW, the outlet seems to hang lower, so I had to put it in and take it out again about 6 times, before I got the outlet pipe at an angle where it wasn't bumping into something and I would be able to unscrew the hose clamp from the left side. I'll have to buy the gasket that the tank is supposed to sit on (hadn't even realized it has one till after I ordered tank). And that might bring the bottom up a little bit.

Also wondering what the length of breather hose (smaller diameter coming off top of tank inlet) should be.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

The length doesn't really matter as long as it's long enough to reach the fuel line and isn't kinked.

How much gas do you have in the tank? If you only have a gallon or two, you will probably have to elevate the front end to get gas to flow back to the pump.

Once the pump is primed you'll be good to go.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

About 6 inches more than you have now. Go ahead and make it 8 inches longer.

Get the proper rubber grommet for where the metal line goes into the chassi. Without that water, dirt, sand will get into the chassi, causing corrosion to flourish inside there.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Longer, make a loop. Clamp on BOTH ends.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

it needs to be long enough that you can lift the tank from the front and be able to reach the hose to work on it. To short and you have to take the front wheel off and reach thru and work on it with one hand.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

I also like to leave that a bit longer too for more wiggle room to R&R the tank.

Now, after having too many hoses with Conti German Cloth Braided hose dry rot on me over the years and spring leaks... (dry climate plus E10 fuel) I decided some time back to replace all my hose with R7 ethanol rated fuel line. I think you can get such hose in cloth braided now, but that wasn't the case when I made that decision, so I just have smooth black hose now. Then, I developed anosmia (no sense of smell), so I am now even more afraid of fuel hose failure. I used to have a keen sense of smell for fuel leaks. I probably still do, if the damn nerve between my nose and my brain was still connected. Sad

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1964SunRoof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
"Get the proper rubber grommet for where the metal line goes into the chassi."
Good idea! I'll order that too, when I order tank-to-body seal and breather hose (still don't know how long that should be), which I assume is same width as vacuum hose connected to distributor.
Code:
Hose length  Location
9cm          from carb to fuel filter
11cm         from fuel filter to fuel pump
19.5cm       from fuel pump to fuel line going forward
29 cm        from fuel line from engine to chassis fuel line
68.5 cm      total

That leaves me with 31.5 cm of this belmetric fuel hose I bought (I bought 1 meter thinking that would be plenty). Would that be long enough for under the tank? That would kindof make sense if all fuel hoses together from carb to tank added up to 1 meter. Although I don't think they had fuel filter in there from factory, so would be even less left over for under fuel tank. Thanks for your help!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Better to get two meters. That way you should have some on hand in the "spares box" when it is needed!

From a search of the 1958-67 beetle forum for "tank breather hose" and checked the "Titles Only", so it searches only the titles of threads. Not checking that box results in the search showing you every thread that is even just mentioned which can be dozens or even hundreds of results. Better to have it much more focused on the titles on the first search try.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Glad to help!

Here is same search without the "Titles Only" box checked:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

1964SunRoof wrote:

That leaves me with 31.5 cm of this belmetric fuel hose I bought (I bought 1 meter thinking that would be plenty). Would that be long enough for under the tank? That would kindof make sense if all fuel hoses together from carb to tank added up to 1 meter. Although I don't think they had fuel filter in there from factory, so would be even less left over for under fuel tank. Thanks for your help!

The online VW parts catalog shows 325mm, so you should be close.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
1964SunRoof wrote:

The online VW parts catalog shows 325mm, so you should be close.

Thanks for posting this!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Thanks for posting this!

Glad to be able to help!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Wow I’ve learned something new and it seems I’ve been doing it wrong for 40 plus years. I always made them long enough to lift the tank with one hand and get to the master cylinder if need be. I always thought more about keeping the hose from hitting tie Rod.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I always thought more about keeping the hose from hitting tie Rod.

That is why the loop is put in the hose and aimed more away from the tie rod to the rear.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

The fuel line from tank to the chassis port in my 1971 Super is the factory one, and not looped. I was under it today checking my tie rod ends and noticed this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
The fuel line from tank to the chassis port in my 1971 Super is the factory one, and not looped. I was under it today checking my tie rod ends and noticed this.

You have 50 year old fuel lines running in your car? What is your secret for preservation, as I would have thought they would have rotted/degraded after that period?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Cusser wrote:

You have 50 year old fuel lines running in your car? What is your secret for preservation, as I would have thought they would have rotted/degraded after that period?

I replaced the tank to pan fuel line in my 1970 sedan in 2016-2017, that was the original one too; I've had the 1970 since 1972 and the 1971 since 1976 so
i know this. Still the original crimp-type clamp on the 1971 Super fuel line at the pan fitting, can't really see the top due to some rubber cover.

Sorry, I don't have any secrets for this longevity, and Arizona has used ethanol in its gasolines for a long time. I know I did replace the braided fuel line from pan rearward on my 1970 in 2016-2017, and believe I've also replaced that in the 1971 Super sometime in the last 4 years (a repair like that would not make it into my maintenance/repair book).
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Longer, make a loop. Clamp on BOTH ends.

When I was at the dealership in 1975 THIS was the way to replace tank fuel lines. VW didnt, just because they didnt, it was likely a cost measure. Imagine how much more it would cost to fit all those VWs with replacement hoses. Cussers way is the way it was done at US dealerships. Oh, and I forgot to add this, it was always paid under warranty. VW called for I believe 10 inches but I believe as do Eric and Barb 1 meter was used and ALWAYS paid for by VW. And they questioned EVERYTHING no matter if it was a 5 cent item (on warranty).
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

I make them long enough so the area under the tank is serviceable. While ensuring the hose has a nice slow bend to it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
I make them long enough so the area under the tank is serviceable. While ensuring the hose has a nice slow bend to it.

Makes sense to me but after seeing the manual reference I just had to laugh. Some early German bean counter figured out exactly how much to use. Just think of the savings😀. Looking at the responses here most make the hose longer to allow freedom of movement, I’m in that camp.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is correct length for hose from gas tank to fuel line? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:

Makes sense to me but after seeing the manual reference I just had to laugh. Some early German bean counter figured out exactly how much to use. Just think of the savings😀. Looking at the responses here most make the hose longer to allow freedom of movement, I’m in that camp.

Also I am not as skinny as the guys back in the 60's, so I need a little extra room to wiggle around. lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: