Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive spring (not compressed)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

There are plenty of distributor drvie gear threads, but not one addressing this issue. I piulled my 009 from my 36 HP engine to reset the points and when trying to reinstall the distributor it won't seat. In examining the drive cavity, I noticed the distributor drive spring is sticking up (not compressed) in the hole. I checked another motor I have and it appears the spring in that motor is compressed below the two grooves making it easy to install the distributor and drop int into place. Admittedly, not the best pic, but here's what Im dealing with. You can see the spring sticking up. Any thoughts on this? Is there a proper way to compresss that spring to get the distributor in?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SixVolt on Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

Hmmmm - the spring will only - and EASILY - compress when the distributor gets installed. Line up the rotor to the position it was before you removed it, and push/turn the distributor BODY a little as you push down. When you get close, you may need to turn/wiggle the rotor a small bit. The "dogs" on the bottom of the distributor shaft only fit into the drive gear ONE way.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why ANYONE would remove a distributor to install and adjust a new set of points. I have two vintage German 009 distributors and I NEVER remove them to do this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

Nevermind. Cusser posted almost the same idea as I had.

Carry on.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why ANYONE would remove a distributor to install and adjust a new set of points. I have two vintage German 009 distributors and I NEVER remove them to do this.

It's easier to work on on the bench. Less chance of dropping stuff and having it get lost in the heads. Less neck bending. Lazy man works twice as hard kinda thing Laughing

If you remove the whole clamp with the distributor you don't have to re-adjust timing.

I do halfway agree with you but I've done it both ways and I'll play devil's advocate for now Twisted Evil

And yes the spring is normal, don't lose it. The spring isnt holding anything up. As Cusser suggested, it didn't fit into the hole because the tang was not lined up with the slot (tang fits into slot.) While distributor is sitting in there turn the rotor while applying very light downward pressure, it'll pop in.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Hmmmm - the spring will only - and EASILY - compress when the distributor gets installed. Line up the rotor to the position it was before you removed it, and push/turn the distributor BODY a little as you push down. When you get close, you may need to turn/wiggle the rotor a small bit. The "dogs" on the bottom of the distributor shaft only fit into the drive gear ONE way.

I appreciate your advice, and I will try that approach, but I don't know why the spring seems compressed in another motor I viewed. And why it seems inmpossible to get the distributor to seat after it always went in like butter.

As to why remove the distributor. I'm 65 years old and my eyes, even with cheaters, just aren't as good as they use to be. Also my big clumsy hands seem to handle it better whn its in a vice on a bench. There was a time when I could do many things with parts in or on a vehicle, but they seem to diminish with the passage of time. In any event, I appreciate the advice.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

100% that spring is normal. You can test fit it without the spring if you are curious but there is no point and if you do make sure you put it back in before final install. The spring serves an important purpose.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

I pull the distributor too, it much easier to set the points on the bench.
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. All is good. Idiot mistake by me. I pulled the distributor with the TDC mark in place w/ out checking rotor postion and the rotor was at #3. Once I rotated the distributor to put it at the #3 position in it dropped and locked. All good. Turned the engine to the real #1 TDC and timed it and all is good. Again, many thanks. Lesson that I should have known was re-learned. Always appreciate the samba help.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Cusser wrote:

It's easier to work on on the bench. Less chance of dropping stuff and having it get lost in the heads. Less neck bending. Lazy man works twice as hard kinda thing Laughing

If you remove the whole clamp with the distributor you don't have to re-adjust timing.

I do halfway agree with you but I've done it both ways and I'll play devil's advocate for now Twisted Evil

And yes the spring is normal, don't lose it. The spring isnt holding anything up. As Cusser suggested, it didn't fit into the hole because the tang was not lined up with the slot (tang fits into slot.) While distributor is sitting in there turn the rotor while applying very light downward pressure, it'll pop in.

Totally agree. Its dirt simple...no turning the engine around or screwing with anything trying to line up on the cam. Leave teh clamp locked on the distributor and remove the single 13mm nut. Take the distributor out and adjust it on the bench...dead accurate and take maybe 1-2 minutes. Put it back in and install teh 13mm nut and timing has not changed.

I got into this habit for totally different reasons. When you are working on type 3 and 4 with D-jet you should be checking the rubbing block lube on the EFI trigger points ....during each check, setting or replacement of the ignition points. The distributor has to come out to access those.

Or....get rid of the points and dont worry about it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

The spring can remain compressed on motors that are really sludged up badly.
The spring is encapsulated in crud.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Totally agree. Its dirt simple...no turning the engine around or screwing with anything trying to line up on the cam. Leave teh clamp locked on the distributor and remove the single 13mm nut. Take the distributor out and adjust it on the bench...dead accurate and take maybe 1-2 minutes. Put it back in and install teh 13mm nut and timing has not changed.

I got into this habit for totally different reasons. When you are working on type 3 and 4 with D-jet you should be checking the rubbing block lube on the EFI trigger points ....during each check, setting or replacement of the ignition points. The distributor has to come out to access those.

Or....get rid of the points and dont worry about it. Ray
I have my spare distributor(with points) dwelled and timed with clamp installed. Have not needed it yet but if I do it will be an easy swap.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

I can get a variance of 3-4* from just play in the hole on the clamp where it goes over the stud on the case.
For this reason when installing I make sure and turn it all the way anti clockwise, tighten the clamp to the case and then set timing, so that will be the max timing possible if i ever have to take it out and replace as a unit.

65 rhd Beetle
72 rhd kombi
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

SixVolt wrote:
Thanks for the replies. All is good. Idiot mistake by me. I pulled the distributor with the TDC mark in place w/ out checking rotor postion and the rotor was at #3. Once I rotated the distributor to put it at the #3 position in it dropped and locked. All good. Turned the engine to the real #1 TDC and timed it and all is good. Again, many thanks. Lesson that I should have known was re-learned. Always appreciate the samba help.

Since the drive gear and drive dog are offset they only fit one way, it’s Murphy proof, you don’t need to make a note of anything. Pull it work on the distributor standing up at the bench then drop it back in because it should fall into place. Although that spring needs to be there I’ve seen wrong springs like out of old ball point pen or even no spring at all.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

balljoint wrote:
I can get a variance of 3-4* from just play in the hole on the clamp where it goes over the stud on the case.
For this reason when installing I make sure and turn it all the way anti clockwise, tighten the clamp to the case and then set timing, so that will be the max timing possible if i ever have to take it out and replace as a unit.
When I set up my spare distributor I pondered the variance and checked the difference in timing from CW tight to CCW tight and found no discernable difference. As long as you set it up consistently it should not matter, but why anti clockwise? Or CCW as we say on this side of the pond.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive spring (not compressed) Reply with quote

You turn the dist CCW to advance timing, so in that position that will be the most timing you will ever get.
I'd rather have it 3-4* retard than 3-4* advanced over the set value if I ever forgot and tightened the bolt in a random position

65 rhd Beetle
72 rhd kombi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: