Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible..
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonaparrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

Hello. I’ve posted about this before but wanted to try again. I’m trying to track down my grandfather’s early 60’s Karmann Ghia convertible. I believe it was a 1962 or 1964. It was white with possibly new black interior. In the early 2000’s it went from Clackamas, Oregon to Anaheim, California to possible Lake Havasu, Arizona. It could have ended up in any one of these spots or somewhere in between. Most likely staying on the west coast. Can anyone help? Feel free to reply. It’s a long shot but now that I’m in position to get it, I’d like to try.

Jp

Last edited by jasonaparrish on Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia... Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

I think you're going to need to supply a vin or something else to help identify the car.

Here's one in the classifieds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2412824
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasonaparrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia... Reply with quote

That’s the color. I also forgot to mention that it’s a convertible. I’m not sure how I left that out. I’m going to update the original post.

I don’t have the vin nor really anyway to track it down. I can maybe try the dmv but I wonder how long the records are kept. I thought I would start with anyone on here buying or knowing of someone buying something like this in these areas.

It had a black aftermarket side mirror on the front fender and some odd air fresheners hanging on some of the knobs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

Have you got any photos that you can upload? That and anything that made the car unique like window stickers or an accessory?

Good luck with the search. I wish that my family had a story like that but mine were sadly big into Morris Minors vs VWs.
jasonaparrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

This is what I remember about the car.

It had a euro sport style mirror on the driver side door. Similar to this one... only more 80s style. Not the VW chrome stock ones that it’s supposed to have on it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It had a stock rear deck lid luggage rack. It had an old Ronald McDonald air freshener hanging on one of the knobs.

The driver side door had to be lifted for it to close as the hinges had gone bad. The only rust it had was under the battery in the engine compartment.

I’m working on photos of the car.
jasonaparrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

After getting no where a year ago due to lack of info, things have changed! My mom was cleaning out my grandmother's office after she moved and she found a folder. Inside the folder was four things.

1. A photo!! (It's attached)
2.Proof of insurance with the VIN number. (It has the model spelled as Carmen Ghia)
3. A hand written note with the Pacific Wonderland plate number on it.
4. a Notice of Transaction Submitted Form from the DMV. I'm not sure if that was her putting the car in her name or when she moved into her new place.

I can now call the Oregon DMV with the plate and vin to see if they know what happened to it. I also finally have a photo to at least recreate the car if the original can't be found.

It was in fact a 1960. I thought it was a little newer. If you look at the photo you'll notice the luggage. My grandfather used that all the time. This photo doesn't show the interior but it was in great shape.

I'm not sure when this picture was taken as I was told it had a black top put on it. They could have been wrong. I think the luggage rack and black after market driver side mirror might be my best bet.

Again, Portland, Oregon to Anaheim, California, to Lake Havasu, Arizona.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

Any DMV worth their salt won't give out that information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_Privacy_Protection_Act

https://epic.org/privacy/drivers/
jasonaparrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

Of course. All the DMV could tell me is it was still registered in Oregon. So if it was sold as I was told, it was never reregistered in another state.

I have found out now that it is still registered in my grandmother’s name. If sold it was most likely done without the title and not registered. A new title was never requested and there are no flags on the vin. Meaning no impounding, ticketing, or totaled.

Maybe it’s in a cargo container somewhere and they’ll find it in a few years.

I need to find the title.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

What the DMV won't be able to tell you though, is if it was registered in another country. Alot of original US delivery Ghias have been sold to new owners in Europe and elsewhere. It's possible the person your grandparents sold it to took it out of the country, or sold it to someone who did. That's a possible explanation for it never being registered.

Have you google searched the VIN to see if it pops up in any European dealer or private seller listings, new or old? Sometimes image searching the VIN can pop up a pic of the car from an old listing.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasonaparrish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to track down my grandfather’s Karmann Ghia convertible.. Reply with quote

You’re right. It could have been sold to anyone anywhere. They could have the signed title too and just not registered it. It might even have gone across the southern border, who knows.

People have said “it’s gone, let it go.” For that reason it’s kind of becoming a “here hold my beer” situation. I’m not even expecting to buy it back. I just know what it’s meant to my grandfather so I’d like to know what happened to it.

I have some other message boards to try. Facebook and what not. We’ll see what will happen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: