Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Hello Samba!

I'm seeking front and rear VENTED disc brake options (with parking brake) for use in a on/off-road beetle build.

This build will use a Dave Barrett Manx Chassis, a beetle IRS or a bus 6-rib IRS trans and stock VW steel wheels.

I'm interested in using the largest rotor size that will fit inside of a stock VW wheel. The bolt pattern isn't important to me, but using stock VW steel wheels is.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

"The bolt pattern isn't important to me, but using stock VW steel wheels is".

I'd use the kit that had the rotors in the box with the same bolt pattern as the stock VW wheels.
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

CSP do a vented front
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Airkewld is the only one I know...

https://www.airkewld.com/Rear-Disc-Brake-Kits-s/2320.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/brake-systems/brake-systems-front/beetle-karmann-ghia-66/
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/brake-systems/brake-systems-rear/beetle-karmann-ghia/
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

There's Kerscher too in Germany.

None of them are vented discs though.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

It depends if you are looking for a bolt on application or if you can fabricate caliber mounts yourself .

I used rear calipers that were used on local Ford and GM cars during the 1970’s in Australia , these had 14” wheels standard back then . They are huge . Cast iron and heavy .

On the STF off road forum Smiley Stevens has a very good “how to” on fitting late GM brakes with the E brake on to bug trailing arms . Alice the Baja I think.

With smaller tyres on the front , diameter and width ,I still need an adjustable valve to restrict the braking force to the front standard bay discs , I use a standard bay master with booster . It has very good brakes Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Vented and off-road don't work well together.
They tear up real fast.

At least that's what my off-road friends tell me...
ArnoudH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Tarox 6pot calipers:cheaper and lighter then Kerscher.They also do a drilled and slotted version of the disc.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

The fronts are ventilated, but not the rears. Those Tarox look good. Cheaper than Kerscher? I'm surprised....really? I'd be very happily surprised Very Happy
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
Hello Samba!

I'm seeking front and rear VENTED disc brake options (with parking brake) for use in a on/off-road beetle build.

I have only run one set of drilled/vented rotors up front on my '74 beetle and they were loud and annoying as hell. Just wanted to throw that little variable in there. I'm sure there are folks that didn't experience this with such rotors, but be aware that it's a possibility. I have since gone back to solid rotors, as I'm not autocrossing or otherwise racing, and have no need for the venting.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ArnoudH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:

The fronts are ventilated, but not the rears. Those Tarox look good. Cheaper than Kerscher? I'm surprised....really? I'd be very happily surprised Very Happy

Yep:I bought them+/- 4 years ago and they were 100Eur(incl shipping from Italy) cheaper and came with steel braided hoses.I bought them at DeiKaeferservice not at Cagero Idea

Schöne Grüße aus die Niederlanden Very Happy Very Happy
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Vented and off-road don't work well together.
They tear up real fast.

At least that's what my off-road friends tell me...

I’ve a lot of experience working on Landcruisers used for off road ,mining / gas pipeline construction , they have vented discs front and rear . Wet sand is bad , E brakes in the rotor hub get chewed up fast , under 5000km from new to bin .

What makes a difference is caliper placement . Big difference on rear pad wear between a Landcruiser and Patrol , Cruisers have the caliper at 9 o clock , getting blasted by the front wheels , Patrols are at 3 o’clock , some what shielded .
I’ve never seen any difference between a solid rotor and a vented one .
kevinhosp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Porsche 944 brakes
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

here's another option, the wilwood handbrake 4 pot caliper made for Rally Design:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=11370
the max disk thickness is 22mm so that won't wok on a 944 rear disk (28mm I think). But there might be a thinner vented disk you could adapt
I've fitted the narrow version of this caliper using a early 911 solid disk, as it is a bit lighter.

Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
Hello Samba!

I have only run one set of drilled/vented rotors up front on my '74 beetle and they were loud and annoying as hell. Just wanted to throw that little variable in there. I'm sure there are folks that didn't experience this with such rotors, but be aware that it's a possibility. I have since gone back to solid rotors, as I'm not autocrossing or otherwise racing, and have no need for the venting.

Must have been a solid rotor with drilled holes. Was it ??
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
here's another option, the wilwood handbrake 4 pot caliper made for Rally Design:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=11370
the max disk thickness is 22mm so that won't wok on a 944 rear disk (28mm I think). But there might be a thinner vented disk you could adapt
I've fitted the narrow version of this caliper using a early 911 solid disk, as it is a bit lighter.

Only turbo had thicker rotors and they are HEAVY . Early 944 had 22mm or 20mm thick rotors in front and rear IIRC. Nice brake system for the Beetle if done correctly.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

you are right:
'86 NA rear = 20mm
'86 turbo rear 24mm
so the rally design caliper would go over NA 944 rotor, and the 289 diameter is helpful as well to keep the package compact
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

Vented is not the same as drilled/grooved. Not sure everyone knows that.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vented Beetle Disc Brakes w/ Parking Brake - 2021 Options Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Vented is not the same as drilled/grooved. Not sure everyone knows that.
I don’t think they do!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: