Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Suspension Arm (Trailing arm) Factory Alignment Tool Gauge
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Denzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Front Suspension Arm (Trailing arm) Factory Alignment Tool Gauge Reply with quote

One of the four front suspension arms on my car is bent. There is a VW factory tool for checking these arms.

Porsche 356 workshops had a similar tool, number P 70, which is similar or identical to the VW one, as the suspension arms appear to be identical. The Porsche one has a heacy base plate on which the suspensio arm is mounted. The illustration I have seems to also show a few other parts, a long cylindrical mandrel and one or two pieces which have a shape similar to a bushing.

What is the VW tool number for this factory tool?

Thank you.

Jim Perrin
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspnsion Arm (Trainling arm) Factory Alignment Tool,Gauge Reply with quote

You can the VW tool list in the Technical section above, looks like page two shows several jigs...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/tools1.php

Also have a look at this related discussion...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689146

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspnsion Arm (Trainling arm) Factory Alignment Tool,Gauge Reply with quote

Dr. Denzel wrote:

What is the VW tool number for this factory tool?

Thank you.

Jim Perrin

The tool number is VW 282d
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspnsion Arm (Trainling arm) Factory Alignment Tool,Gauge Reply with quote

It might be cheaper to just buy a replacement used arm than to hunt down the tool, and end up buying the arms anyway.

Tools are here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/tools1.php

Are you thinking of this tool?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dr. Denzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspnsion Arm (Trainling arm) Factory Alignment Tool,Gauge Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, I've learned a lot. The tool I'm thinking of is VW 282b and its other versions.

KTPhil wrote ” It might be cheaper to just buy a replacement used arm than to hunt down the tool, and end up buying the arms anyway.”
In talking to the largest supplier of used 356 parts in the U.S., he said that 90 percent of the Porsche ones (which I believe are the same) he checks are bent! That’s why I’d like to be able to check used arms, rather than just buying a used one without checking it. (I don’t know how common it is for the VW arms to be bent.)

61snrf gave the reference: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689146, which I found to be very helpful.

Jim Perrin
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspnsion Arm (Trainling arm) Factory Alignment Tool,Gauge Reply with quote

282b is for Buses. You are in a Bug forum.
Dr. Denzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension Arm (Trailing arm) Factory Alignment Tool Gauge Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
"282b is for Buses. You are in a Bug forum."

You are correct that the tool is for buses. However, I believe it is also for passenger cars based on the following:

I have my VW-factory-issued "Special Service Tools 1957" book in front of me, which was issued August 1957. This book only shows the 282b version of this tool. The description for the tool is:
"Fur VW-Personenwagen und -Transporter".

I checked Goggle Translate, and it said that Personenwagen translates to Passenger Car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: