Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

Well, I just picked up my first bug, a 63 ragtop, but now I'm trying to figure out who to go to in case I have some car problems.

Could you guys give me some critiques and recommendations on shops in the bay area: years experience, quality of work, cost, customer service, helpfulness, your experience with them, extra comments, and so forth?

Thanks.
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

just had an engine built by volksauthority in san jose -- a good shop, esp. for vintage fans. also t.w.engineering in alameda...
go to kelley park this weekend (sunday) and check out the crowd (http://www. http://www.ggcvvwca.org/kelleypark2003.htm)
mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply hlwimmer. I live in San Jose, so I'll be biking to Kelley Park with my '68 Schwinn Ramshorn Fastback. I'll probably be standing out with the bike and because I'm this 19 year old, bald, Vietnamese guy who seems out of place in the VW scene. This would be my first show too.

Well, I'm planning on having the car tuned up because the 1835 would benefit from it since it was sitting, and the previous owner didn't do much to the car nor knows much details about the car, and I want to start my bug experience on a positive note. Plus I don't have any mechanical experience but I've read VW Beetle and How To Keep Your VW Alive, and a tuneup might be too big of a task for me right now.

So I was wondering, who should I go for a detailed inspection of my newly purchased bug and tuneup, preferrably close to San Jose? I was told by a friend to go to Bugformance, but how does it compare to Volksauthority? Cheaper?

Oh yeah, if anyone is reading this, I'm trying to get some experience so if you're in the San Jose area and need some help with labor on mechanicals, and possibly bodywork, I'll help out for FREE. Just show me what to do or let me watch.
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

if you're into the old-school style of the 63 rag (my car, too), give VA a shot... they're nice folks and really know what theyre doing which goes above and beyond a price (while not expensive, you get more than what you pay for).

drive your car to KP -- you'll be thankful you did when you have a swapmet part and wonder if you need it or if it'll fit (plus it supposed to be raining).

my motor:
http://www.volksauthority.com/vwawebpage/frames/customercars.htm/Hunterscar.htm
mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

Hey hlwimmer. What's your name and where are you located? My name's Mike and I'm in San Jose.

Your engine is really really clean. I'm into the classic/old school look too, not so much into custom, but for performance, yes. Originals are always nice.

I tried going to VA after my physics lab at SJSU on Friday but I got really lost. I used Yahoo maps and when I came across Coleman Ave from Market, I wasn't sure if I could bike on the bridge so I had to find a way around; then I asked some lady mailcarrier and she said I could probably get around by 1st Street and I did. Then I got on Coleman Ave and I went all the way past Hedding but I was on the right side and it turned into the highway and I didn't see Newhall to turn left on so I went all the way back on Coleman to see if I passed it and I got to Santa Teresa, then biked all the way back past the split with the highway and I gave up. Later on, my friend took me to show me where it was and I would've gone to VA if I stayed on the left side of the road. Then I went to Bugformance for decklid bolts, hinges, and license plate bolts ($1 for a nut and bolt!) not knowing how far the place was, then I had to bike back to the lightrail by SJSU to get back home (around Capitol Automall), and I biked about 20 miles that day. Literally, my pants were falling when I got home.

VA has a nice presentable shop, which was better than what I saw at Bugformance, and I would assume that VA is a good shop too since they build engines. I'm most likely going to have them check my car over and tune it up because their shop is nice and clean, customer testimonies, they work on engines, and I like what I see.

I can't drive to KP because I haven't insured it yet and the car is pretty loud so I don't want to get pulled over with no insurance. Plus, the mount to put the hinges on for one side is broken off, and the decklid is held on by only one hinge and rain could seep through.

How can I tell who you are in the crowd at KP?
cclights
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Air cooled repair shops in Bay Area Reply with quote

Recently bought a 62 ragtop that needs engine rebuilt. I need recommendations for good, honest air-cooled repair shops in San Jose area (or close by). The car is still 6-volt, original, and clean.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

Try Ken Jansen https://m.yelp.com/biz/jansen-enterprise-belmont

Though myself and another fella around here were having difficulty getting them to return calls last month. I haven't tried lately.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

Peninsula Automotive in Campbell, Or Jansen Enterprises in Belmont.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

Use Jansen in Belmont.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Autoshops in the bay area??? I got a bug, but need a mechan Reply with quote

Jansen did the machine work on my engine case, real stand-up guys over there with good work, easy to talk to.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: