Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pressure issue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure issue Reply with quote

He addressed that earlier in the thread Tom, the plunger fell out on it’s own.

I do agree though that something might not yet be quite right. That 26mm pump brought the pressure up to what I would have expected with a 21 mm pump so there may still be some pressure loss somewhere. I suspect that it is a stack up of tolerances. It seems there are a number of reused parts in that engine and that is okay. But if each one is just on the verge of acceptable then this could be the result. Crankshaft wear, cam bearing surface wear, lifter bore wear, oil pressure relief wear none of which on their own are a problem but the sum of which results in less than an ideal pressure.

Anyway the pressure is ok now so I would go with it as is. Maybe in a few years and many more mile you will need to move to a slightly heavier oil but not now.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure issue Reply with quote

While the engine only has 6000 miles on it, 4500 miles of that was on a roadtrip, where I had some tuning issues. I had a loose carb base, creating a lean condition, and I had float bowl adjustment issues that allowed gas to gravity feed into the crankcase. I don't blame the engine builder (that delivered a long block to me), but I made some mistakes that may have led to running lean with thinned oil. I don't doubt that I've created some internal wear, which might lead to pressure issues. Now that my pressures are acceptable, I'll run it with confidence. I've corrected the early issues, and hope to have years left on this build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: