Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Bought: 2003 VR6 GTI. Need Some Help!
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMD_Alien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Just Bought: 2003 VR6 GTI. Need Some Help! Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

I just purchased a 2003 GTI 24v VR6 with a 6-speed.

Unfortunately, Its got a couple issues, on the contrary, I got it super cheap with clean body and chassis!

The first issue Im having, When I unloaded the car we began trying to diagnose it, the car then stalled. I went to start it and the ignition lock housing broke. I took the steering column apart and a small silver piece, I assume what turns the ignition switch fell out. Is there a way to glue this piece back in for now? and as far as replacing, will I need to replace the ignition lock housing, or the ignition switch?

The second, I knew when I bought the car. Code P1639, Throttle position signal implausible. At first I thought the sensor in the throttle body, so i took it apart cleaned it, and the throttle body and put it back together. However with the issue regarding ignition, I cant test it at the moment. In the meantime, my cousin mentioned the broken dipstick which may be causing the issue, as it does sound like its sucking air very hard. I also want to check the electrical connections, as well as both sensors in the throttle body and in the accelerator pedal. To do this, Im looking for a pinout guide for the sensors, and connectors and how to test them properly using a multimeter.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks, -Andrew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Bought: 2003 VR6 GTI. Need Some Help! Reply with quote

Seems like a good time to get a VAG-Com cable. And also a Bently manual, hard copy or digital.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought: 2003 VR6 GTI. Need Some Help! Reply with quote

I've never had luck with gluing anything except for super glue and fingers.

I would recommend to perform tests first. Once you have those test results, then you can prove to yourself any 'cleaning' actually did anything.

I'll second the idea about a Bentley and VAG-Com.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just Bought: 2003 VR6 GTI. Need Some Help! Reply with quote

That is part of the ignition lock cylinder, it cannot be glued back together. You need to order a new ignition lock cylinder from the dealer so that it uses the same key, getting an aftermarket one will come with a new, non-matching key, which will need to be coded to the car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: