Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

My buddy once burned some wires on his bug. So he pirated wires from other parts of the harness to make it home.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

oh for petesakes, there is not that much wire in a VW. You should not have to add more. If anything, removal of most in there not in use.

I hate installing engines on people's cars - there is always butchered wiring running all over the damn place. non-metric bolts and nuts all over the place. there will be a wood screw in place of a proper bolt.

My car/s when I had them, I rip out all the wirings I don't need. The door buttons will be first to go - useless. Those wires can short.

I rip out all the buzzers. I just need an intact 12V power line to the coil.

One time I installed a motor, the alternator wirings were missing from this guy's car. He complained that he has to buy new batteries all the time. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Told him if he buys the wires of the proper gauges I am going to restore his charging system.

You would think that people who drive VWs are all hippies and drunks when you look at the wirings in some of these cars. Pathetic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

NS I totally agree. As you said installing the wrong gauge wire, creates problems.

IF you put in high power Radios and expect the system to work as planned, think again!!

The voltage will drop as the hungry radio want more current.

Light wiring is either removed to sent to my duel 50amp relays in parallel
that are feed directly from the battery.

The wires are at least 16ga.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I was fortunate with my 73 Super I currently have that the wiring was nearly completely unmolested, and I only had to splice a few things on the passenger rear due to an aircleaner fire a couple years ago.

The only high power stuff I usually end up adding to cars are driving lights, a stereo, moderately power rated subwoofer/amplifier, and maybe an ignition box.

This time around I recently decided to run a pair of 6AWG wires directly to the battery, and then run a terminal strip off of this, behind the back seat. I do plan to add an additional run to the front of the car to run a set of driving lights, directly to the battery, that will be switched with a relay. This takes any possible extra strain away from the stock original wiring, and allows you to minimise any issues with modifying or tying into the stock harness.

It's not mounted yet, and the wiring hasn't been ziptied all neat, but here's my little wiring center behind the seat. Mainly to run my CDI and Subwoofer for now, but I'll add more to it soon. Planning on adding a 4 way fuse block and a couple relays. It's a six position terminal block, with two Battery rows, two Ignition rows, and two Ground rows. One of the relays I'll add will switch the ignition circuit off of the battery line directly, and the other will be a spare to be determined later.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I was fortunate with my 73 Super I currently have that the wiring was nearly completely unmolested, and I only had to splice a few things on the passenger rear due to an aircleaner fire a couple years ago.

The only high power stuff I usually end up adding to cars are driving lights, a stereo, moderately power rated subwoofer/amplifier, and maybe an ignition box.

This time around I recently decided to run a pair of 6AWG wires directly to the battery, and then run a terminal strip off of this, behind the back seat. I do plan to add an additional run to the front of the car to run a set of driving lights, directly to the battery, that will be switched with a relay. This takes any possible extra strain away from the stock original wiring, and allows you to minimise any issues with modifying or tying into the stock harness.

It's not mounted yet, and the wiring hasn't been ziptied all neat, but here's my little wiring center behind the seat. Mainly to run my CDI and Subwoofer for now, but I'll add more to it soon. Planning on adding a 4 way fuse block and a couple relays. It's a six position terminal block, with two Battery rows, two Ignition rows, and two Ground rows. One of the relays I'll add will switch the ignition circuit off of the battery line directly, and the other will be a spare to be determined later.

That is a neat arrangement, but you might want to consider which of those wires acts as a fuse if you short out one of the thinner wires. Some fuses may save your bug from a smelly collection of red hot bare wires.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:

That is a neat arrangement, but you might want to consider which of those wires acts as a fuse if you short out one of the thinner wires. Some fuses may save your bug from a smelly collection of red hot bare wires.

As stated-
Quote:
Planning on adding a 4 way fuse block and a couple relays.
Wink

nextgen wrote:
After telling you guys about the fault on my last post

this is what came up again and it printed the post.

Any of you gut get this!!!!!

( Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 550 proper dns entries. )

Same thing for me. Think

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:

Yeah, about 5Am PT.... Sent email to Everett ... Guess problems is intermittent because it does not always occur with every posting...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

I try to not do much permanent butchery to my cars electronics. Probably spent 3 days staring at the wiring diagram for my 65 bus and undoing several generations of "fixes". Though, I agree that sometimes you need to fix it just well enough to get somewhere and till you have some real time to figure out what's gone wrong. For that I keep a few lengths of wire with alligator clips on each end. I've fed the coil 12v from a tail light when the ignition switch died, and I've lit one tail light off the other when there was a short that blew out every spare fuse. These cars are very forgiving this way, but I always try to put them back to stock.
another thing, everything gets a laminated print out of the wiring diagram stashed under the seat. It'll save your ass
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
nextgen wrote:

Yeah, about 5Am PT.... Sent email to Everett ... Guess problems is intermittent because it does not always occur with every posting...

There must be someone watching this thread that has a bad email.
This can cause a weird 550 error
I cleared all the "Watch" entries for this topic.
If you were watching it, please click the Watch this Topic link at the bottom again
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

Another is the fire-hazard when you see a nest of wires all over the place. Likely, you will get blamed for it when you put your hand in there and it catches fire.

If you see a car that has had the battery unhooked, and the owner wants you to power it up - guess again. There is probably a short in there and he wants you to figure it out for free. Laughing The tell-tale sign is a lot of blown fuses on the floor.

Also, you gotta make sure which wire is which - I have seen several vehicles w/ red wires for battery ground. WTF?

That is why I prefer to run the motor outside of the vehicle. You just do not know what or hell went into the wirings in these old cars.

Not to mention rotted fuel lines and breathers.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ever do a coronary bypass on your bugs electronics? Reply with quote

The problem with Posting Fault is you think you did not post, so you to out and in ( me ) and you post several times and not knowing it posted each time.

If the fault comes up most likely your post went through, check it out. Go back to the Post.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: