Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alignment Specs for all ACVWs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meridianVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

This is all truly great information and I have a couple of comments.
I agree with the statement about ride height in regards to factory alignment specifications but as we all know we modify ride height regularly in our hobby.
These modified suspensions still need to be aligned and factory specs occasionally need to be modified.

SAI in basic terms is the angle formed by a line drawn through the suspension pivot points and true vertical. To SAI add the camber angle and that yields Included Angle. These 2 angles are very important for collision diagnosis.

I spent 25 years specializing in suspensions, steering and alignments and my recommendations would be to talk to the technician and you should quickly be able to determine if he’s the right guy to align your vehicle.

I’ve used bubble gauges, string system alignment machines and all the way to the new camera systems.
I stopped turning a wrench about 10 years ago and feel your pain in locating a sutible technician.
Awhile back I found a great deal on a Hunter alignment system that I couldn’t pass up. I figure it will take maybe 10-12 alignments to break even.
In the attached lower picture I would need to adjust the rear ride height to correct the rear camber angle.
I believe the tire wear will be minimal if any.
I’ll probably just lower the front!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by meridianVW on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

Can't see photos. Getting error code 502.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

It was mentioned that the alignment isn't that crucial because it's a beetle...

I disagree. If you look at the alignment range for the beetle is waay more exacting than the Golf. Those light front wheels need more attention, and the beetle's suspension is less forgiving for bad alignments.

When the last alignment guy told me he couldn't correct front camber (because he didn't know about the upper eccentric 36 mm cone, I just gave up on the idea of anyone knowing how to do it correctly.

And I would do everything to make it easy for them ( cleaned, all ball-joint threads cleaned and greased, steering box centered with steering wheel, provide them with specs), and yet, still they would screw it up.

I gave up. I'll pay for alignments, but I won't pay someone to DO them anymore.

This is the arrangement I have worked out with the local alignment shop's boss: I pay you a full alignment (130$ for me, instead of 160$ for customer), and you do nothing (except take the cash), and none of your guys have to lift a finger or waste a second. In exchange, I come at the end of the work day, and I can use the lift and alignment machine to do my own alignment, and take the time to do it right (the more wine you bring, the longer you have...). Its a modern electronic machine, no wires, and I just use it as a measuring tool just work with the readout. If they program in an alignment from the databank, it's sure to be wrong and get things mixed up...1300 for 1302, transporter for baywindow, etc... type 3...type what? Those machines just have short memories!

That way I can do it right, take my time, and do things like getting the rear perfect with the "unbolt spring-plate bolts and raise or lower arm before re-tightening" technique. No alignment guy is going to do that.

A buddy has one of those roll-over plates which tells you toe. It's good for little stuff where you know the rest is good, like just changing a steering ball-joint.

Good luck to all for getting what you want out of an alignment shop.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

I totally agree to the importance of well-done alignment. Surprisingly, the database of my local alignment shop has the correct data for VW 1303 (I printed the specs from my book).
However, the reason for my question is different: I have Porsche 944 turbo brakes and Kerscher struts, and I am trying to determine the correct offset for the wheels in order to obtain a scrub area similar to stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Does anybody have the original pics to re-upload them?

Have you tried e-mailing the guy who originally posted them? Here's his email (from page 1):
dan macmillan wrote:
If anyone wants a bigger, clearer scan, email me at [email protected] subject ALIGNMENT SPECS

Here are the specs for a '70 to '79 Type 1 Beetle, from my Bentley service manual (I think they're the same for the Karmann Ghia, but I'm not 100% on that):

Personally, I don't follow these specs to the letter. I was going to post a pic of my own specs, but I see I already did that two years ago back on page 2 (man, how time flies!). I like a bit more negative camber on the front than they want in the manual. The manual states +45' to +15' (+0.75° to +0.25°) as the acceptable range, which is all positive camber. I run the maximum negative camber possible using the stock adjuster: -32' (-0.54°), for better cornering. I run just under negative 1° 30' (1.5°) camber in the back, which is still within the limit, but it's about as far negative as the specs allow.

I also like a fuzz more negative toe (toe out) in the rear tires than the manual calls for. I have mine set at -18' (-0.3°) toe out. I feel this better counteracts the camber thrust from the high negative camber, and also helps promote oversteer, which, in my opinion, is the same thing as reducing understeer- a common malady in rear-engined vehicles. But probably the main reason is that I'm too lazy to crawl under the car and loosen up all the bolts in the spring arms just to take out 3' of toe!

The manual states to set toe with a full gas tank and the car unladen, but I like to put 100 pounds in the driver's seat as well, to better simulate how the car actually sits when I'm driving it (I weigh more than 100 pounds, by the way; I just don't want to ruin my nice upholstery with too many free weights!).

At any rate, the car feels very stable in a straight line, corners well and shows very little wear on the tires with the specs I run on my machine, in case anyone has a similarly modified suspension and wants to copy them.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

meridianVW wrote:
SAI in basic terms is the angle formed by a line drawn through the suspension pivot points and true vertical. To SAI add the camber angle and that yields Included Angle. . .

Thanks for posting this! For years and years I have been using the term "Scrub Angle", when I really meant to say "Included Angle".

Old dog, new trick!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
I totally agree to the importance of well-done alignment. Surprisingly, the database of my local alignment shop has the correct data for VW 1303 (I printed the specs from my book).
However, the reason for my question is different: I have Porsche 944 turbo brakes and Kerscher struts, and I am trying to determine the correct offset for the wheels in order to obtain a scrub area similar to stock.

I have made very approximate measurements of scrub, by spreading chalk on a dark floor, rolling on to it, and turning the steering from lock to lock. You can gently roll back the wheel, and see the center of the swirl, on the tire and on the ground.

In any case, even if it not accurate, you can see if it's centered on the tire, and, if not, to which side it's offset.

I don't know how much Kersher struts or 944 brakes move stuff, but I know their brakes increase the track by 8 mm, 4 per side. I expect the 944 is even more.

Damn, I'd love to try a beetle with 944T brakes...they worked so great on a much heavier car, I can't imagine on a light beetle...... Very Happy .
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

Likely not the original photos in the beginning of this thread,but here's a post from Glenn

Glenn wrote:
Print this since I bet not many shops have the specs.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

Did I read this right that a 74 standard is speced with positive camber in the front?
SandwichKing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

I'm new to this so I hope I'm doing this correctly. If not I'm sure someone will point it out. Oh well, here goes.
I picked up a 1971 Super Beetle back in January. Absolutely love it. First one I've bought.
I replaced all the steering linkage ie. tie rods and ends, center link, and steering damper and bushing and new ball joints. Swapped drums for disc up front and added adjustable struts to lower it 1.5 - 2 inches.
Took it to get it aligned and now the end of the bolt for the ball joint grinds on the inside of the right wheel when making a sharp right turn. Took it back to shop and was told the right wheel has a different backset than the others and/or the wheel is warped.

Any suggestions?
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

Take both front wheels off and measure their offset or look for an ET stamp on the back side.
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment Specs for all ACVWs Reply with quote

Ok
So with Widened or shortened beam!
And with the wheels (toe in) correct between each other

How do you make sure the Wheels are Straight to the Car/Beam

And can You use a Simple Magnetic Angle Finder for the Castor

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: