Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newton Carpet Color Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

One small detail I noticed my '64 carpet kit lacks is holes for seat belt hardware. Probably because seat belts were a dealer installed option.

If anyone has installed 3 point belts in the tunnel and floor, I would love to see how you finished off or covered the holes you had to make. I might buy a pair of these escutcheons for the tunnel:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2183086
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:

If anyone has installed 3 point belts in the tunnel and floor, I would love to see how you finished off or covered the holes you had to make.

Search tool yields much reading on the topic.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

My question is not really about how to install seat belts but more about how to finish off the carpet. The last thing I want is a jagged hole and a bolt sticking out after installing seat belts. If anyone has some pictures of how they finished off bolts that go into the tunnel, for example, that would be helpful.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
If anyone has some pictures of how they finished off bolts that go into the tunnel, for example, that would be helpful.
I think you're on the right track with the escutcheons you posted earlier. This is getting away from the original topic, but since you asked so nicely here's a photo of how my seatbelt latch bolts are finished off with acorn caps:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

I've realized I am in the same situation, except not on the tunnel, but on the floor behind the seats where the seatbelt is bolted down there. I can't find any place to mount, either because the floors pans were replaced or the rockers, and that place was closed up. Any clear pics of that mounting place, or recommend what to do for mounting the floor located seatbelt connections?
Thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

Depending on the floor pan situation, I think adding a FIA-approved reinforcement plate on the outside of the pan, may be the way to go.
They cost next to nothing (I got 2x for something like 10 euros).

If it's already painted / waxed / undercoated, maybe some work to strip that area, but maybe safer in the long run, and nicer than just a bolt and a big a&& washer through the pan.

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I've realized I am in the same situation, except not on the tunnel, but on the floor behind the seats where the seatbelt is bolted down there. I can't find any place to mount, either because the floors pans were replaced or the rockers, and that place was closed up. Any clear pics of that mounting place, or recommend what to do for mounting the floor located seatbelt connections?
Thanks, Jeff

I just welded seat belt anchors onto my new Volkstory pans, before I painted them. I've got my floorpan at home now, finishing it up, painting and detailing it, while my body is being primered and painted at the body shop. So I just went through installing these. I used these measurements from Evil_Fiz as a guide for where to place it. It basically lines up with that third-from-the-rear body mount hole.

Here are the measurements of where to drill the hole (the original drawing, minus measurements, of the pan was from a Beetle, so ignore the locations of the corrugations, since they're different for Ghias):

My pan:

These are the ones I bought.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262324219856?hash=item3d13bdefd0:g:a90AAOSwZIxezAo5

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

I know we're getting really off topic now (sorry!) but I do think the carpet installation is related to safe seat belt installation. So it's important to get it right for both safety and aesthetics.

Here's a link to the beetle forum on how 3-Point seat belts are installed and it's the same for a Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614896

The retainer in the floor pictured above is exactly how I did mine. I just kept the original retainer from my old pans. The difference is the size of original the hole which takes an oversized VW bolt. I'm going to have to get a threaded insert to adapt to the smaller bolts on modern seat belts. That's not the case with those EBay sourced plates.

Getting back to carpet, the issue is cutting away enough of the carpet so there's a tight fit between the carpet, the L-Bracket, the floor, and the bolt, but not so much that the cut edges are exposed. If there's an accident, I don't trust the compression of a the carpet between the hardware to keep the seat belt base from coming loose.
Exnermobiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

Regarding the lower seat belt attach point here you’ll find few pictures of an original pre-1965 tunnel carpet (141 863 311 C) with small round grommets for the seat belts:

I think originally these grommets were completely covered with the plastic escutcheons (311 857 781):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2183086
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

Thank you all for the seatbelt mounting information. Sorry for straying from the original topic, but as mentioned, it's important when installing the carpets to know how to properly mount the belts. The information provided helps as I am waiting for delivery of my Newton carpets.

Now it looks like I need to find someone to weld in those lower mounting plates!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thank you all for the seatbelt mounting information. Sorry for straying from the original topic, but as mentioned, it's important when installing the carpets to know how to properly mount the belts. The information provided helps as I am waiting for delivery of my Newton carpets.

Now it looks like I need to find someone to weld in those lower mounting plates!
Jeff

While opinions and preferences vary, it may be worthwhile, at least in our neck of the woods, to see what the U.S. regulations for seat belt anchoring hardware have to say per 49 CFR § 571.209 - Standard No. 209; Seat belt assemblies, in accordance with SAE Recommended Practice J800c (1973). The CFR can be opaque, but these citations are relatively straightforward, i.e., you won’t need a law degree get the skinny. Wink You decide. Cool
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.209
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/005/sae.j800c.1973.pdf
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

I wish I could get my hands on these grommets to sew into my carpet. I guess I could go to an auto upholstery shop and see what they can do.

Exnermobiles wrote:
Regarding the lower seat belt attach point here you’ll find few pictures of an original pre-1965 tunnel carpet (141 863 311 C) with small round grommets for the seat belts:

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
I guess I could go to an auto upholstery shop and see what they can do.

I had a shop remake these heater outlet grommets.
They're sewn in, but still look much better than what they replaced ↓

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)

Last edited by rcooled on Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

If you don't have any luck in the US; I'd be happy to make them for you, all I'd need is sizes. I've been making the carpet grommets down under for years.

Just my observation, the heater knob was oblong not round.

Kev.

Peter D. wrote:
I wish I could get my hands on these grommets to sew into my carpet. I guess I could go to an auto upholstery shop and see what they can do.

Exnermobiles wrote:

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
If you don't have any luck in the US; I'd be happy to make them for you, all I'd need is sizes. I've been making the carpet grommets down under for years.

Just my observation, the heater knob was oblong not round.

Kev.

That would be great. Maybe you could make the heater, shifter, and break grommet too to match? I'll send you a message.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newton Carpet Color Question Reply with quote

Here's my carpet, upgraded with new grommets from The Aussie Trimmer. They look great!

If anyone is considering Newton Carpet just be specific on the type of grommets you'd like installed. The hand-sewn ones actually don't look bad at all but it just wasn't my preference.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: