Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

Hi fellow Vanagon Vancouverites

Amazon just informed me that my order for a Bubble Flare tool will NOT be arriving. (who knows why?) ...and currently my entire project is on hold simply because I don't have a flaring tool needed to make about 10 bubble flares.

I am wondering if there is anyone in the Vancouver area that might have such a tool and would be willing to lend or rent it to me for a day... or even sell it to me if you won't need it.

I just need to make 10 flares then I'm done. . . .

Otherwise it doesn't seem like anything else is available - at least not quickly or affordably.

Thanks for any help,
Ed

Last edited by epowell on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver (for a day) Reply with quote

Which Vancouver Think

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver (for a day) Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Which Vancouver Think

The bigger one Smile
Canada...
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

I borrowed one from advanced auto
Rear discs
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

space wrote:
I borrowed one from advanced auto

In Vancouver BC?
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

Ed, they sell the tool you need to do VW bubble flares at Princess Auto. I have used them for years. I just bought one to do a single repair because I could not find the two I already had. They are not expensive.

And of course, shortly after doing that repair I found the other two kits. They were in a drawer marked "Tubing". I had not stopped to consider I may have actually been organized on that one day.

Now I have three. But as it turned out I dropped the only mandrel that I ever use into the engine compartment somewhere. It was the new one of course, not the old semi-worn one. It is hiding in an engine mount or drip pan somewhere. Some day it will appear, totally rusted.

That repair was on a Routan (aka Dodge Grand Caravan). Those actually use a double flare, but same tool and mandrel.

Don't judge me -- I got it from my son.

RonC
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
Ed, they sell the tool you need to do VW bubble flares at Princess Auto. I have used them for years. I just bought one to do a single repair because I could not find the two I already had. They are not expensive.

And of course, shortly after doing that repair I found the other two kits. They were in a drawer marked "Tubing". I had not stopped to consider I may have actually been organized on that one day.

Now I have three. But as it turned out I dropped the only mandrel that I ever use into the engine compartment somewhere. It was the new one of course, not the old semi-worn one. It is hiding in an engine mount or drip pan somewhere. Some day it will appear, totally rusted.

That repair was on a Routan (aka Dodge Grand Caravan). Those actually use a double flare, but same tool and mandrel.

Don't judge me -- I got it from my son.

RonC

Ron.... thanks!
Ironically I just had Princess Auto recommended to me the other day as the best and cheapest place in town for tools!!

I'll try them, thanks!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

https://www.princessauto.com/en/bubble-iso-flaring-tool-set/product/PA0008895005

Amazing... $15
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/bubble-iso-flaring-tool-set/product/PA0008895005

Amazing... $15

Ed, this is the one I have been using, they are often on sale half price. More expensive but I suspect better quality and a greater range of sizes.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/double-flaring-tool-kit/product/PA0002990245

I was going to say the one you are showing is for single flares which won't do the job, but it does say bubble flare. Just make sure that it does the size you need.

RonC
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

The $15 one does ISO/Bubble... which should be the exactly correct type (DIN).

I have 3/16" pipe, and 4.75mm fittings, and when we do the math those two measurements are basically identical - I think close enough in this application.
The only other measurement I might need is 6mm (clutch line)... so it seems that the $15 one should be OK for me - - - - - unless the quality of flaring is bad, in which case I will return it.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

I got my $15 flaring tool which looks to be of good quality.

I am studying youtube to try to learn how to do it.... I've made several flares already - some turned out better than others, but so far I would say none are fully acceptable (but close).

What is the correct technique? Some questions:
1) how much of the pipe should be sticking out when clamping it into the holder?
2) how many full turns of the flaring tool is idea?
3) should the flaring tool be tightened only in the tightening direction, or is it good to sometimes 'back off' a bit by going in reverse a tad once in a while?

Any other tips would be greatly healful.

I'm confident that this tool can achieve acceptable results - but suspect I don't have the right technique yet.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

I think I am getting good results now.

This is what I did:
1) cut with a high quality cutter
2) very lightly with a 3mm drill bit, de-burr the ID.
3) sand off the OD burr...
4) oiled up the tool and the pipe
5) clamp pipe into a vice
6) have at least 4mm of the pipe protruding from the tool (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART > IF NOT ENOUGH IS PROTRUDING, THE FLARE WON'T BE COMPLETE > YOU DO NOT NEED TO TIGHTEN THE TOOL ALL THE WAY DOWN TO BE FLUSH WITH THE EDGE.... JUST TIGHTEN UNTIL YOU FEEL RESISTANCE, AND IT SHOULD NOT BE ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM!)
7) turn the tool plunger 1/2 turn at a time... should end up with about 2 1/4 full turns
Cool finally widen the hole a bit again with the 3mm drill bit.

Not too bad for a $15CAD tool and 1 hour of practicing! Smile
I feel confident enough to use these on the van... however I will cut the pieces a bit too long in case I screw up some flares or in case some leak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

looking pretty good! and you're using the correct flare fitting with the extended nose. if the threads go all the way down, it's an SAE.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

Ed, looks like you hit on all the key points for getting good results. Perfectly square cut (the kit I use comes with a good quality cutter); deburr (the kit I use comes with a deburring tool); lubricating the die; and firmly clamping the tubing. And you develop a feel for when to stop pressing.

And a tip for future readers…

The dies are designed so that the tubing should extend the thickness of the die you are using.

RonC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

It is best to cut the pipes long because you will NOT be making the tight bends by hand that the factory dies could make.

Careful, don’t kink the pipe!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

That looks like a good flare! Congrats!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to borrow FLARING TOOL in Vancouver BC (for a day) Reply with quote

Thanks guys.... hopefully not remature thanks - let's hope for now leaks once it is all bled. I'm going to hold off on re-installing the fuel tank until I have all the hydraulics completely done - just in case there might be some leaks I can still access that LONG new line from the prop.valve to the rear"T".

I managed to make and install that one LONG new line yesterday. Cunifer is SUPER EASY to bend. I can easily bend tight bends by hand even very near the end of the line. Of course being extremely careful not to kink it. I have a 25" piece to start with - so what I did was to feed one flared (on the bench) end under the van, bend it a bit and fasten it to the prop. valve. Next I gently bent it here and there to get into it's new path to the "T", but gave it a nice wide "S-bend" under the van so that IF I run into troubles I will always have a little more extra reserve length to draw on if I need to shorten and make new flares. --- then once I figured out the final length of the piece to the "T", I cut the pipe and flared it INSITU (while lying there under the van). I was apprehensive about that but the flare came out just as good as I was getting them on the bench.

I'm super happy I got the cunifer stuff... it is so easy to work with and supposedly won't rust so easily. However I do plan on painting all before putting the fuel tank back in.

My only one concern right now is that maybe the ID of the holes for my flares is coming a little bit too small. But again, if there is an issue - in the worst case I can disconnect those fittings and widen the holes.

Regarding the proper fittings... yes I brought a whole fresh bag of them in Czech and brought them over here with me... the ones that came on the cunifer pipe were SAE threaded all the way to the bottom.

Today, hopefully get all the rest of those lines in, and begin bleeding the brakes.... My one fear there is that last year I bled the clutch SOLO and forgot that we are not supposed to press the pedal all the way to the floor when bleeding with an elderly MASTER CYLINDER because the piston plunger then would be extending into the extremity of the piston where it normally never goes, and what might be rusty and therefore damage the whole MC. I brought over here with me from Czech a huge suitcase fully of parts and cylinders and everything, but no MC. I don't want to have to buy one here and pay a FORTUNE..... however, "rebuilding" might be a good option if it is damaged. >>> the reason why I didn't bring an MC over here is because from what I am told there are 2 potential sizes of MCs for our vans... or... more specifically the size of the "plunger" which extends out the back of the MC has 2 sizes (20mm and 23mm I think)... I need to remind myself to somehow attempt to determine which size I have on my van --- really not sure HOW I would be able to measure this without removing the MC??? Perhaps from the rear?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: