Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-volkswagen-bus-13/
$50,000, 2 days left.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Sold $175k.

holy crap! did 2 rear corner windows go missing?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Curious to see what this one will do.

$25,000, in 5 days:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-double-cab/

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

^^^ 64' 21 window went for $175k- ouch

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Curious to see what this one will do.

$25,000, in 5 days:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-double-cab/

It’s got Porsche stickers on it, so likely more than you’d think.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
$50,000, 2 days left.

Link

Sold $175k.

Wow, that jumped up A LOT near the end.
It was at $50K last time I looked this morning
(Which was way too cheap)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
$50,000, 2 days left.

Link

Sold $175k.

Wow, that jumped up A LOT near the end.
It was at $50K last time I looked this morning
(Which was way too cheap)

Right? Crazy at the end. Sometimes that happens and a guy just has to have it. Great bus, wasn't it in the whines before? 🤣

Congrats to Corey on that build!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Seeing as that bus is realistically worth $100k-$125k, that is one really expensive surfboard. Wink

Really, it is just an auction where the seller got super lucky with two buyers who just had to have it. For every time that happens, there are ten bus auctions where the seller is somewhat disappointed that there were not those two buyers there. Any potential auction sellers would be wise to make sure there is a reserve to cover their investment because one of those two buyers just bought a bus and is out of the market, and the other buyer is likely to get a deal next time his preferred color window bus comes across the block.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Agreed, but at least this one was done much nicer and by a much better builder than some of the ones we see, and was done years back and is holding up well.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Seeing as that bus is realistically worth $100k-$125k, that is one really expensive surfboard. Wink

Really, it is just an auction where the seller got super lucky with two buyers who just had to have it. For every time that happens, there are ten bus auctions where the seller is somewhat disappointed that there were not those two buyers there. Any potential auction sellers would be wise to make sure there is a reserve to cover their investment because one of those two buyers just bought a bus and is out of the market, and the other buyer is likely to get a deal next time his preferred color window bus comes across the block.

There were three bidders in until it hit $121k.
A fake 23 sold for near that much a while back on BAT and a color changed 15 went for $126k. Given that I’d say that bus was worth far more than $100k or even $120k. It would cost someone more than that to restore one these days because there are no cheap deluxes anymore. The cheapest real deluxe on the samba is $40k most are well over that. Plus good luck finding someone with the talent and knowledge to build it right so it captures those high values once done. Even if you find that guy you will wait in many cases years to get it back.
Like it or not BAT is setting the values on air cooled VWs. They are smart enough to chart values and list prior sales which creates the perception that values are rising and bidders look at those histories. So the next comparably done 21 window will also be expected to approach that mark. I’ve been following this with not only buses but Ghias and it is pretty amazing…and smart.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

For the casual enthusiast, one could get almost (almost) the same thrills from this one for about 80% less. It does seem to have a bit of filler smeared on part of the under-floor, but not excessive. It doesn't seem to be as much of a turd as most Brazilian Buses.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2497558

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
For the casual enthusiast, one could get almost (almost) the same thrills from this one for about 80% less. It does seem to have a bit of filler smeared on part of the under-floor, but not excessive. It doesn't seem to be as much of a turd as most Brazilian Buses.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2497558

One hard pothole and the long rocker will fall off of that turd.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I’m sure that would cost far less than $130,000 to fix. And you’d still have two more windows than the BAT bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Unlikely. There's no indication that this Bus has terminal cancer.

I could do a whole lot with $130k and still have the look, feel, and sound of an old VW with this one.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Unlikely. There's no indication that this Bus has terminal cancer.

I could do a whole lot with $130k and still have the look, feel, and sound of an old VW with this one.

And what about this mess?

And then there’s the crappy small generic folding top they use down there, the crudely manufactured single layered windows, no belly pans, etc etc. there’s a reason why a bus like this sells for quarter of what a well built professionally done real German deluxe sells for. Either way to me at least $40k is a lot of money, I certainly wouldn’t spend it on a lipstick on a pig bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

My 64 walk thru. I have built this to my liking (mods) Big motor IRS lowered.
Ambulance step factory.
Pay what you like, I drive mine as I have driven buses since 77.
This ego trip paying these prices only makes it harder for the regular guy who just loves buses, harder to own one.
I remember a CLONE went above 300K just b/c it was on a TV build show.
To each his own I guess, It's still "Sort of" a free country.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
This ego trip paying these prices only makes it harder for the regular guy who just loves buses, harder to own one.
That is a big problem for buses and the bus scene. Since some of them are super valuable and all of them are valuable, nobody can get in on the low end, and many people who are already in are tempted to take the money and run and get out. We lose plenty of good people from the scene and from just general bus ownership (most bus owners are not in our bus scene, they just like the buses). We are left with the most dedicated people and people with the means to get in to be bus owners. All that said, many many people get out of buses and then go blow a similar amount of money on a depreciating modern car. If someone is dedicated and wants to spend regular car money on a bus, they can own one. The poor folks are pretty much out at this point.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
That is a big problem for buses and the bus scene. Since some of them are super valuable and all of them are valuable, nobody can get in on the low end, and many people who are already in are tempted to take the money and run and get out. We lose plenty of good people from the scene and from just general bus ownership (most bus owners are not in our bus scene, they just like the buses). We are left with the most dedicated people and people with the means to get in to be bus owners. All that said, many many people get out of buses and then go blow a similar amount of money on a depreciating modern car. If someone is dedicated and wants to spend regular car money on a bus, they can own one. The poor folks are pretty much out at this point.

The only thing cheap in the VW world anymore are 68 up Beetles, especially Super Beetles. It all seemed to happen in the last couple years. Pretty soon VW events will look like Porsche events made up of mostly super old dudes hobbling around complaining about how no young people are interested in their cars.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
...Pretty soon VW events will look like Porsche events made up of mostly super old dudes hobbling around complaining about how no young people are interested in their cars.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think we are a ways off from that, but still funny
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
The only thing cheap in the VW world anymore are 68 up Beetles, especially Super Beetles. It all seemed to happen in the last couple years. Pretty soon VW events will look like Porsche events made up of mostly super old dudes hobbling around complaining about how no young people are interested in their cars.
Exactly. Unfortunately we are becoming those old guys, day by day.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Lind wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Exactly. Unfortunately we are becoming those old guys, day by day.

Maybe but I also believe if half of the owners drove their buses (Not Lind) or VW's instead of just showing them the excitement would bring more draw and curiosity back to the younger generation as it did for us 20 plus years ago, similar to Europe. Our VW market at least here in Texas has gotten more expensive but you can still buy certain pre 67 whatevers for a summers wage at the local water park. It may take 15 summers but you can. Laughing Laughing Laughing

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 48

Jump to: