Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

That pic you included of the underside of the seat was so great. I wonder how many people still think this bus could have 130,000+ miles on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Cool

(Sarcasm , this is a beautiful 32k OG Bus or I’ll eat the two bolt rear apron )

Last edited by Abscate on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Wasted Youth, people will think what they want.

What exists in the real world on this Bus, is a series of documented invoices, showing the vehicle license plate along with mileage and dates with no conflicting dates or mileage figures from multiple businesses. The physical evidence, the tires on the Bus that were installed at 31,181 miles on 7/11/1996, which just a little over 1000 miles were driven on. Along with all the wear evidence on the VW that all support the 32k.

If that is not accepted as proof of actual mileage then can an actual mileage statement be accepted on a vehicle?

I have owned 3 other documented mileage vehicles in the last 10 years, this is the best documentation along with physical evidence to support the actual miles that I have seen.

I was very fortunate to find a Bay Bus in this condition. Can't say it enough as to how rare it is to find a vehicle in the same family for 50+ years and I love it!! Very Happy Very Happy

But again people will think what they want. Smile

Take Care!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Bus Daddy, thank you again on the Sun visor clip input.

For all we love about the aircooled VW era the engineers and designers did some unique things which I would have loved to been the "fly on the wall" to have overheard the rationale.

I will take a closer look at the passenger side sun visor and see the what or why the brass looking ring is there, I just noticed it the other day.

I will inform any passenger as part of the "preflight" announcements, do not try to disengage the sun visor at anytime, it will cause a sudden and permanent loss of your seat!!! Laughing

Take Care!
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

People are just jealous that they didn't find it first. I for one love that bus. Low mileage and all.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

no question, it is one of a kind, a museum piece. Probably the last one in the universe.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Bus Daddy, follow up on the Sun visor, you called it right, a passenger must have pulled down on it and it did snap the tip off.

Clever repair on the previous owners part, that brass part holds what left of the end and secures it into the visor clip and it allows it to rotate as it should. Cool

Still no touching the sun visor from the passenger seat going forward Laughing

It always makes you nervous when people are around a car and do things without thinking first. I remember a Bug O Rama event where an observer was try to close the front hood on an amazing 56 Oval without releasing the hood latch, the owner nearly lost control of themselves before he was able to get them away from the car.

A lot of colorful stickers and signs try to prevent this but... people... what are you going to do? Rolling Eyes
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Right? Beauty Aye. Cool

busdaddy wrote:

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Right? Beauty Aye. Cool

No, no. It’s...

Beauty, eh!

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Let the Sunshine, Let the Sun shine in... Very Happy

First big thanks to Sgt. Kent's thread on the Samba on how to go about getting a frozen sunroof opened. Read up on it this morning before going after it. I have only done a bug sunroof before and this is a significantly harder job.

Took six hours+/- to finally get the roof open and sliding, this one was stuuuck shut, did all kinds of slapping to get the back edges to drop , used some old clay bars on gloves to get leverage. used a number of shims etc. it only moved by fractions for the first 3 hours, finally it started to move. I figured this thing must have serious rust or busted cables, etc. Once I got it where I could take of the covers and pull the cable ends out I was able to get it to move by standing inside and pushing it back.

Turns out zero rust nothing busted just a little dust around the inside. The culprit was the cable grease, in 50 years this stuff had turned to something between beeswax and glue Evil or Very Mad This stuff is sticky times two.

Next up will be to de-gunk the cable, it does not appear to need anything else to get it back up and running other than a solid cleaning of the cables and the channels and tubes to get the old material off and lube it up to slide smoothly and reassemble.

Have to say this kicked my butt, going to take my time on the clean up and reassembly. Will need to come up with one tab under the metal channel that secures the screw, that was the only casualty on the project other than it will need a new roof seal. Suggestions on the best options are appreciated.

It's cocktail time, a double for sure, seriously this was a task!!

Take Care!

Last edited by Jay Pearson on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Congratulations!
That's one job I dread, good for you persisting and not F'ng anything up in the process. The final product will be well worth the effort. Cool

Get those cables soaking in solvent, careful when brushing the old grease out of the grooves, the center of the coil is filled with fuzzy stuff to wick oil, don't think you have to scrub more to get everything out or you'll remove more than you should.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Right? Beauty Aye. Cool

No, no. It’s...

Beauty, eh!

Yeah, it's like Eh, eh?............What a Hoser! Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:

The ‘M157.506’ stamped on the fan shroud, what exactly does that indicate? I know I’ve seen numbers stamped on shrouds of other VWs, is it matched to the VIN, engine serial#, a part number, etc…?

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I think they are control codes referring to the options installed at TOM

Dusting off some ancient RAM, I think 157 was emissions, 506 brakes
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Yes, the stamps indicate how that engine was equipped for particular options, in this case North American emissions (DVDA distributor and throttle positioner/altitude/decel valve with dashpot throttle stop) and power brakes (vacuum nipple on manifold).

Слава Україні!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
I just want to see more pictures of it! These low mile buses are a real treat to see the details.

Apparently sgkent missed the other 71 westy with under 20k on it I forget the miles but I won’t forget who has it. Very Happy Laughing

Haha! My thread must be buried Sean!

I can see having doubts about my westy being low miles, but damn this thing is a gem and no doubt in my mind on the mileage.

By the way I think this is the right orientation for the fuse holder. Mine is an early 71 (9 of 70) 4 bolt apron too!

Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Spent the weekend on phase one of addressing the one major concern I had on the refreshing of the Bus.

During one of it's storage periods the Bus was parked in a garage that had a leaking pipe above it. Left leak stains and build up on the roof. Initially I thought I would need to take it into to be professionally repainted.

With the Sunroof now open I was able to get at these areas and really pleased to be able to remove the issue and keep the og paint in place. Not completely done, it will need some follow up polishing buffing and a little touch up here and there. Overall very happy that what looked a repaint is able to be kept as original paint.

Fortunately none of the leaking made it's way into the Sunroofs working parts. Now back to cleaning of the cables etc, and replacing the seal over the next couple weeks.

Take Care!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I can’t wait to see that puppy open.......
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I hope that the top was dirt and not rusted into the top.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

SGKent, it was a bit of a surprise, I thought for sure it was "rust" and had penetrated the paint and into the metal. Metal and paint work would be needed to fix it.
Really want to keep the og paint in place as much as realistic and possible.

Turned out to be a crust on top of the og paint from what was dripping from the pipes above it. Used rubbing & polishing compounds, my new favorite resto product "magic sponge" to get it off the paint, it did leave some discoloration in the paint but all in all I was stoked on how much I was able to lift out without breaking the og paint and only touching into the factory primer in less than a quarter size area around two of the toughest spots.

Cleaning up the cables and the runners next. I will get back to you when I have it all back together on getting the cables even.

Had the new Sunroof Seal from Wolfsburg West arrive, it is in 3 pieces versus og one, excellent quality wise and identical to the og one.

Will post some pics tomorrow.
Very Happy
Abscate, full open functioning Sunroof pic's to follow!!

Take Care!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: