Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 478, 479, 480 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Extra, the manifold goes right up against the case, use whatever size washers are required to bridge the slot in the manifold casting, don't do the final tightening until everything is installed so all the parts can align.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mewidmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Awesome - thank you so much!

“doubting an office tower full of meticulous German engineers always ends in a fail...”
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

We have a 76 Westy that we have owned for 32 years. The muffler has developed a hole in it about an inch in diameter. I was considering muffler tape, but know that we need a new muffler. We are in CA, but do not need to worry about any smog stuff since we live in an area that is exempt from that. I see that Bus Depot sells a muffler that is not CA approved, and i think it may be the same version we installed 25 years ago. Any other recommendations that people would suggest. Engine and everything else is pretty much stock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hubster43 wrote:
We have a 76 Westy that we have owned for 32 years. The muffler has developed a hole in it about an inch in diameter. I was considering muffler tape, but know that we need a new muffler. We are in CA, but do not need to worry about any smog stuff since we live in an area that is exempt from that. I see that Bus Depot sells a muffler that is not CA approved, and i think it may be the same version we installed 25 years ago. Any other recommendations that people would suggest. Engine and everything else is pretty much stock.

If you can post a picture of what you have, we can answer simply.

The muffler itself on a late bay is not state specific, only the catalytic converter (or delete pipe) is. Bus Depot sells a complete muffler/tailpipe combo which is just ok, if you need the entire system. If you only need the muffler itself, you can buy it new, along with tail pipes, cats, cat delete pipes, and the three-way elbow. Only the crossover pipe is NLA.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yep, that’s the same version everyone sells. Grab it and the triangle gaskets.

New M8 nuts and bolts make future removal easy, with a little bit of anti-seize for rust-proofing.

Save your EGR delete plate, as the new one won’t come with it.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thank you.

This site and this thread are an amazing resource (and entertainment) for any VW owner.

I have to drive around for a bit longer with an inch in diameter hole in the muffler, anything I should worry about besides the neighbors.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hubster43 wrote:
Thank you.

This site and this thread are an amazing resource (and entertainment) for any VW owner.

I have to drive around for a bit longer with an inch in diameter hole in the muffler, anything I should worry about besides the neighbors.

Exhaust gases are hot and can burn paint, having them where they are more apt to be sucked into the cabin isn't all that cool either. Sad

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Humpst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a 1972 Bay Window and in the process of trying to get turn signals working, I removed the speedometer unit from the dash and when I replaced it this spring was on the drivers side floor. Can someone educate me as to where this spring goes and what it does?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It retains the heater cable in the end of the lever.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does the throw out bearing usually rest lightly on the clutch or does it have some clearance? Does it matter either way? It's not super important I'm just curious.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It shouldn't, the pedal freeplay creates a few mm gap when at rest (or should). Running against the clutch constantly will wear it out fast.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Does the throw out bearing usually rest lightly on the clutch or does it have some clearance? Does it matter either way? It's not super important I'm just curious.

I believe the throwout bearing used on the Vanagons is the same as what is used on the Bays. On the Vanagon with a hydraulic clutch with no return spring and no way to adjust for free play the bearing is likely spinning under little or no load most of the time.

The danger with not having freeplay on a Bay setup is that as dimensions of the components vary with use and with temperature the pressure on the throwout bearing could increase and cause the clutch to slip, and once it slips at all the slippage will accelerate with time as clutch wear occurs.
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It shouldn't, the pedal freeplay creates a few mm gap when at rest (or should). Running against the clutch constantly will wear it out fast.

Oh that's right, makes sense
Wildthings wrote:

I believe the throwout bearing used on the Vanagons is the same as what is used on the Bays. On the Vanagon with a hydraulic clutch with no return spring and no way to adjust for free play the bearing is likely spinning under little or no load most of the time.

The danger with not having freeplay on a Bay setup is that as dimensions of the components vary with use and with temperature the pressure on the throwout bearing could increase and cause the clutch to slip, and once it slips at all the slippage will accelerate with time as clutch wear occurs.

Cool to know now. Thanks guys!
mewidmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

About to mount a Malpassi Filter King pressure regulator to the top of the fan shroud using threaded inserts - and before I drill the holes wanted to make sure this wasn’t stupid?

I’ve seen various things mounted on the front, and coil on left side - but nothing across the top.

The fuel lines will curve a bit, but it clears the oil bath to carb and should have clearance at the top.

<UPDATE - Mounted but was unhappy with fit due to metal inserts not liking the slight curve within the fan shroud. Purchased a rebuilt fuel pumps via Bill at sparxwerks via the samba. Non VW logos are very reasonably priced seems better overall solution then running a regulator>

Mock up and photos below.

I’m doing this as prior owner installed a alternator and bocar fuel pump

Thanks!

“doubting an office tower full of meticulous German engineers always ends in a fail...”

Last edited by mewidmer on Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Humpst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It retains the heater cable in the end of the lever.

Thanks for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Have any of you used this muffler?
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/ac251828-vi...000cc.html
I want to get my '78 Bay 2.0l to have a throaty sound, and ditch the rusted out, 87 times patched stock exhaust. Also NOS exhaust prices are just nuts. I would probably go with the vintage speed headers, but would that mean sacrificing the heat exchanger boxes? And is there a cheaper alternative to sounding good? Sorry for the deluge of questions, but if someone can answer, I'd appreciate it.
SkyLo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Daily driver 1700 type 4 '73. Literally been driving daily for 12 years. Was doing some inspecting the other day, cylinders 2 and 3 are holding some oil inside combustion chamber. Doesnt blow smoke when started( it does occationally, usually after driving and a short stop, maybe 1 out of 20 starts if that.) 1 and 4 cylinders are not holding oil. I'm gonna try to attatch pictures. I'm sure its probably bad rings(replaced in 2018 with top end rebuild) and/or valve guides. Havent torn into it as I work everyday. Just did a forum search and havent really found anything about it. Just wondering if anyones seen this. I dont imagine its too uncommon.

Engine runs quite well considering the compression is high 80s/low90s on all cylinders. I can go 75 on the freeway for hours with no problems. Not real fast up hills as usual.

'73 Westy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well that's not really a good sign, but I don't see any scoring in the cylinders so if you can tolerate the odd puff of smoke and checking the oil level often it's not something you have to deal with right away. If it starts fouling plugs and carboning up the cylinders it's time to do something about it.

Слава Україні!
SkyLo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Right on. It was just alarming a bit. I've had another engine I'm planning to reseal and run so I can do some stuff to this one. I may have got an oil ring in wrong somehow. Pretty sure I triple checked em but who knows. I could add it is the 'porsche' engine with the higher compression but I dont know that it matters much. I also have the engine that was in it when I got it that I'm going to rebuild also. Still learning a lot even after 12 years. Thank you

busdaddy wrote:
Well that's not really a good sign, but I don't see any scoring in the cylinders so if you can tolerate the odd puff of smoke and checking the oil level often it's not something you have to deal with right away. If it starts fouling plugs and carboning up the cylinders it's time to do something about it.

'73 Westy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 478, 479, 480 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 479 of 515

Jump to: