Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

When looking behind the engine shroud, where the engine fits under the firewall, I noticed that the rubber seal does not close the gap. Is this normal? I've read so many posts about how important it is for the air flow to be maintained as designed. Is there something wrong with how this looks? Or is it normal?
Here's a picture of the drivers side of the engine seal and the passenger side. The gap is quite wide at least half an inch or more.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

Rubber shrinks over the years. But you'd have to remove the engine to replace the seal.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Rubber shrinks over the years. But you'd have to remove the engine to replace the seal.

I believe the seal is new. It would have been installed when the previous owner put the body back on the chassis about maybe 6 or 7 years ago? And the car has only gone 13 miles since then. Could it shrink that much?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

Some times the frame forks that hold the gearbox drop with time and hard starts, so the motor sits lower than it should.
how the the motor look against the rear seal and the panel work beside the motor?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

I'm not sure this helps, is there a measurement I could compare that would tell me if the engine is sitting low?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

interesting, the side looks good, how is it at the pulley? is the rear tinware pulling down on the seal or does it look like the side?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
interesting, the side looks good, how is it at the pulley? is the rear tinware pulling down on the seal or does it look like the side?

The rear seal is just floating horizontally and the tin ware is not touching at all. Here's a few pictures of where the rear tin ware at the pulley is in relation to the deck around the engine. The bolt I set on the tin ware is 23mm tall. In the 2nd picture, only 3 mm of the bolt are visible above the deck.

How much of an issue is the gap creating for proper air flow?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

Marc, well that has me foxed, the rear tin looks about the right height to me, so I don't thing the fork is bent.
Also, I don't think the gap at the front is a problem from a cooling point of view, more air will come in there, but also more dust and dirt.
when I first tried to keep my race engine cool I ran with out the front tin for a few weeks and cooling was better, not worse. I ended propping the front of the boot lid as that worked better again.
Unless some one has new thoughts I think we are down the end of this rabbit hole Crying or Very sad
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

I just measured my '67, and the engine appears to be tilted a bit to the left. For reference, the distance from the rear deck down to the tin on the left side is .80", on the right side it's .62", and in the rear it's .55". This discrepancy does not affect the way the car drives, and I have no gaps anywhere between the tin and the rubber seals.

Several factors at play here. Tin not perfectly flat or a little off in the way it's screwed down, transmission mounts compressed a bit, rubber seal not placed properly, etc.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find any pictures of the firewall seal for comparison, but I too have a feeling it might be installed wrong? For now, doesn't sound like an issue. On to the next item on the loooong list.
Thanks for the help.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Engine to fire wall seal gap Reply with quote

Late reply....

Here are pictures of my seal installed and with the engine installed. Your seal is upside down compared to mine. Mine seals fine..

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: