Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATE: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

I recently had a 71 with dealer installed AC. It had 2 of those holes on the right side. It still had the lines plumbed all the way to the engine compartment. One hole was used for the AC line and the other was the wiring bundle for the AC. Both went along the bottom of the pan.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

malley56 wrote:
I recently had a 71 with dealer installed AC. It had 2 of those holes on the right side. It still had the lines plumbed all the way to the engine compartment. One hole was used for the AC line and the other was the wiring bundle for the AC. Both went along the bottom of the pan.

Hmmm, I wonder if there are any other tell-tale signs of an AC installation. Like mounting holes under the dash? Maybe we're getting closer to solving this.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

The most obvious sign is going to be in the engine bay. The fan shroud fresh air outlet on the driver's side will make a stark angular departure from the body of the fan shroud (this was to make room for the AC compressor which would've been mounted directly in front of the ignition coil), and you'll have a double pulley. The 2nd smaller pulley will have been used to run the compressor. And behind the fan shroud you'll have extra unused holes that the AC lines ran through.

This is the engine from my old 67.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also the underside of my dash. You can see the holes the AC unit left behind.

Your dash underside might not have such extreme holes left behind. I believe there were several different AC systems that dealers installed, and they probably all mounted differently. But the fan shroud outlet and the double pulley will be there regardless of which system was used.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

When I bought my 71 gghia I had a factory gas heater and it had a hole to the fender well for the exhaust . does the car also have a large hole to the compartment for the warm air^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:
rrock wrote:

The AC in my car has been removed and there's a hole in the same area where one of the lines ran into the trunk.

Is there a matching one hidden on the other side under the fuel fill valve? You gotta look close. This could be the answer!

Yes my 71 also has a cutout on the left side of the trunk but it's just in front of the glove box.  In the engine bay, as Era Vulgaris highlights, I have the double pulley, angled left fan shroud outlet and several holes to the left of the fan shroud for AC lines.  In my car the fuse box is mounted in the trunk to allow easier hook up of the AC wiring.  The quarter-sized hole on the right in the trunk is for the wiring bundle and not refrigerant line(s).
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

ghianowbug wrote:
When I bought my 71 gghia I had a factory gas heater and it had a hole to the fender well for the exhaust . does the car also have a large hole to the compartment for the warm air^

the only large hole I see into the compartment is on the passenger side. they closed it up with some goo in the trunk but with a "screwed in panel" from the cockpit. Somebody used it to sneak some speaker cables through. I can tell they go behind the carpet and likely to the rear speakers in the backseat. Could be that this was originally used to get heat into the cockpit? Can you think of any other signs to look for in the trunk to indicate where a gas heater might have been attached?
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

rrock wrote:
dungeoncrawl wrote:
rrock wrote:

The AC in my car has been removed and there's a hole in the same area where one of the lines ran into the trunk.

Is there a matching one hidden on the other side under the fuel fill valve? You gotta look close. This could be the answer!

Yes my 71 also has a cutout on the left side of the trunk but it's just in front of the glove box.  In the engine bay, as Era Vulgaris highlights, I have the double pulley, angled left fan shroud outlet and several holes to the left of the fan shroud for AC lines.  In my car the fuse box is mounted in the trunk to allow easier hook up of the AC wiring.  The quarter-sized hole on the right in the trunk is for the wiring bundle and not refrigerant line(s).

When you get a chance, can you get a picture of the angled fan shroud and double pully? Pretty sure I don't have that but a picture would remove all doubt.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:
rrock wrote:
dungeoncrawl wrote:
rrock wrote:

When you get a chance, can you get a picture of the angled fan shroud and double pully? Pretty sure I don't have that but a picture would remove all doubt.

Hey, no need. I just grabbed the AC installation manual located elsewhere on this site and I for sure don't have a double pully and/or angled fan shroud. Could be the engine was rebuilt and all that was removed. However, reading through both the heater and AC installation manuals, and there just don't seem to be enough holes to install either one of those. Both of them require several holes be drilled into the trunk and there's just the ones I've mentioned. it's a mystery.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:
ghianowbug wrote:

the only large hole I see into the compartment is on the passenger side. they closed it up with some goo in the trunk but with a "screwed in panel" from the cockpit. Somebody used it to sneak some speaker cables through. I can tell they go behind the carpet and likely to the rear speakers in the backseat. Could be that this was originally used to get heat into the cockpit? Can you think of any other signs to look for in the trunk to indicate where a gas heater might have been attached?

and there's no hole cut in the driver's side like I see in the installation manual. the hole that IS cut on the passenger side just doesn't look large enough compared to what I'm seeing in the manuals. Mystery continues.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:

Already posted pics above

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:

and there's no hole cut in the driver's side like I see in the installation manual. the hole that IS cut on the passenger side just doesn't look large enough compared to what I'm seeing in the manuals. Mystery continues.

AC systems were generally installed more toward the center and passenger side, as the steering column would be in the way on the driver's side.

The pic I posted above of the holes under my old dash, they had also been covered by a screwed in steel plate when I bought the car.

Previously owned:
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Fairly certain that was for a gas heater install switch might still be there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
dungeoncrawl wrote:

Already posted pics above

Oh, okay, I didn't see the double pully and wasn't sure if your fan shroud was depicting a "normal" or a "I've got an AC" config. I'll take a picture of mine and post. I definitely don't have the double pully but the fan shroud might give us a hint.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

The normal outlet for the fan shroud is towards the rear of the car on both sides. You can see the smaller 2nd pulley in my pic above.

If you have neither of those things, it doesn't necessarily mean your car wasn't cut for AC. A previous owner could've bought a replacement engine, or replaced the fan shroud, etc.

Previously owned:
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

the hole is at the right place for the gas heater exhaust . do you know the history of the car did it come from canada ? is there a largeer relay under the dash that is not used if so look that number up it may be the gas heater relay .
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

what size hole was closed up I still have my gasheater and plumbing including the plastic vents for the ghia and i can measure what size the are yes i have then for 42 years.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

ghianowbug wrote:
what size hole was closed up I still have my gasheater and plumbing including the plastic vents for the ghia and i can measure what size the are yes i have then for 42 years.

Okay, here are some pics to maybe help. The first 2 are the pics of the hole that goes into the passenger side cockpit. Third pic is my engine (I don't see a second pully or the mod to the fan that another person suggest I look for. Doesn't mean they didn't remove and fix it later though. Hoping this gets us closer to figuring this out.

dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Is this perhaps a hint? What am I pointing to here? It appears it was just cut out and left there. Perhaps a stand of some kind to hold a heater or AC?

dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

Where'd everybody go? Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in my wheel wells into trunk? What are they? Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:
Is this perhaps a hint? What am I pointing to here? It appears it was just cut out and left there. Perhaps a stand of some kind to hold a heater or AC?

Battery hold-down anchor/fitting?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: