Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hood release
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beachgirl10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: hood release Reply with quote

Hi My hood releases but it's a bit difficult to do by myself. Someone told me that the cable stretches. Can you shorten the cable to make it release better rather than buying the entire assembly. also my cable is missing the handle part- what can I use to make it safer to pull without getting cut.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: hood release Reply with quote

Beachgirl10 wrote:
Hi My hood releases but it's a bit difficult to do by myself. Someone told me that the cable stretches. Can you shorten the cable to make it release better rather than buying the entire assembly. also my cable is missing the handle part- what can I use to make it safer to pull without getting cut.

You can buy a replacement handle from the Thing Shop (P/N 111823461) as long as your cable still has the threaded end. If you are missing the thread end, then go ahead and buy a new cable and handle.

https://www.thethingshop.com/HANDLE-FOR-HOOD-CABLE-RELEASE/productinfo/111823461/

https://www.thethingshop.com/FRONT-HOOD-RELEASE-CABLE-HANDLE-AND-TUBING/productinfo/181823531%2DKIT/

In the following photo, you can see how the cable comes out of the conduit and passes through a boss on the latch. There's a clamping screw that effectively adjusts the length of the cable. It is accessible from the top side. I'll post a picture of the location shortly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT:
The following photo shows the access hole for the hood clamping screw. You can just see the screw through the hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: hood release Reply with quote

Just a note, I was told by someone at one of the shows that once you rehook the cable up, if you can get some extra byond the holding screw to put a bend in it, if the screw slips, the 'bend' will help you pop the hood.
Like a 90 degree bend if you can do it without breaking it.

Believe me, trying to get the Philips head screws off of the hood hinges can be fun, not to mention chipping paint in the process, especially if they have been in there since the 70's.

Good luck with it.

T

and you can also get a hood release from here too:
https://www.thingparts.com/hood-release-handle-high-quality-german-nos/
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: hood release Reply with quote

Funny I ended up doing this last weekend, had to replace my cable pull tube and pull handle. I did put a bend in the end in case the screw slips.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: hood release Reply with quote

The approach I took was to install a cable stop at the end of the cable. If the cable should even slip through the clamp on the latch the cable stop will serve as a backup.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: hood release Reply with quote

You can try screwing the 2 rubber stops out a little to put more pressure to pop the hood up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: