Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ratio Rocker Install Issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

I'm having a lot of trouble installing these ratio rockers correctly, and hopefully ya'll can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it.

The OEM valve train looked pretty even on the left and right side cylinder heads. With these new rockers the left side geometry looks different than the right side. By that I mean some of the rocker arms on the push rod cup side are sticking out higher than I think they should. I've checked and rechecked that the push rods are sitting in the lifter cups and the push rod cups.

I should be able to turn the push rods (as best as I can with oily hands and components) in the lifter cups and the rocker arm push rod cups when both valves on a cylinder are closed, right? Some I can, some I can't. Even with the push rod cup adjustment screw backed all the way out.

Also, those of you who run ratio rockers on your water boxers, did you have to switch to aluminum valve covers for clearance, or where you able to still use the OEM stamped steel covers?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Pictures

If one or more lifters are positioned to open the valves and you adjust the screws to get lash then the screws will be sticking way out.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Adjusting ratio-rockers for correct geometry requires you to adjust three or four parameters, assuming that the lifters are filled with oil and have no entrapped air:

1. You adjust the rocker shaft pedestal height with shims;

2. You adjust pushrod length;

3. You adjust the shims between the rockers and the rocker stands for lateral location.

4. You can use lash caps on the valve stems to enlarge the contact area and adjust the geometry further.

The goal is to address the sliding action of the rocker tip over the valve stem. Ideally, you adjust the above parameters so the the sliding action of the rocker tip, from the lowest contact area on the valve stem ("lowest" being in relation to the top and bottom of the cylinder head) to the highest contact area, is adjusted so that the center of the valve stem is contacted at one-half of the total travel of the rocker tip over the valve stem. Additionally, you need to adjust the four parameters so that the movement of the rocker tip pushes against the valve stem tip (or lash cap) as close as possible to the angle of the valve stem at one half total lift.

The problems you describe with differing heights may be due to lifters that are not fully bled.

See here how CB Performance does this:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2...egUIARC0AQ
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

X2 what Howesight said . Sounds like some of your lifters are pumped up solid, while others are not. When setting the preload on the spongy lifters, you will need to feel when the pushrod has zero lash. This will be a subtle resistance as compared to the lifters that are pumped up.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Sorry no pics. Sliced hand after 1st post when tool slipped and punched engine fin.

#4 exhaust lash cap came off. Took rockers back off to put cap back on. Now, rockers won't go back on. Won't go flush to cylinder head.

Issue might be push rods. Now none will stay in lifter buckets. #4 intake sticks out the most. Even with adjusters backed all the way out.

Kit did not come with shims. Just lash caps and precut rods.

Had to stop work to stop the bleeding. Will pick up again tomorrow.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Checked length difference between orig push rod and rods supplied with kit. New rods around 10mm shorter.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

When I'm able I'll try a technique I found here on Samba about push rods. The suggestion was to work on cylinders 1-2. Get #1 to 90 degrees BTDC. That's supposed to be where the lifters are the lowest. When that side's done get #3 to 90 degrees BTDC and repeat.

I've got a message in to the vendor about my fitment issues. The previous 1.25 rocker kit they offered had rocker pedestal shims included, and I'm wondering if this kit should have them as well.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
When I'm able I'll try a technique I found here on Samba about push rods. The suggestion was to work on cylinders 1-2. Get #1 to 90 degrees BTDC. That's supposed to be where the lifters are the lowest. When that side's done get #3 to 90 degrees BTDC and repeat.

I've got a message in to the vendor about my fitment issues. The previous 1.25 rocker kit they offered had rocker pedestal shims included, and I'm wondering if this kit should have them as well.

You need each cylinder set to its own TDC when adjusting its valves. If you try to adjust the valves on #2 when the crank is set to TDC for #1 then the valves on #2 are going to be way way off. It helps to put a paint mark on the pulley ~180° out from the TDC mark for #1 so that you know about where TDC is for #2. You don't need to be super accurate here just reasonably close.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings! The part about 90 degrees BTDC would just be for (hopefully ) an easier fitment of the pushrods between lifters and rocker cup.

I agree with your suggestions on the sequence of adjusting the valves. I've printed of a timing degree wheel that will hopefully aid in all of the above.

Now, if I can only get this hand to super heal quickly so I can get on with the show!

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Should I order up some different thickness shims for the rocker pedestals and have them on hand just in case? It seems the previous 1.25:1 kit by Marco included them.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Should I order up some different thickness shims for the rocker pedestals and have them on hand just in case? It seems the previous 1.25:1 kit by Marco included them.

The shims should affect all the valves equally. The design of the hydraulic lifter is that once adjusted you are somewhere in the middle of its adjustment range at the same time the rocker geometry is correct. This could be adjusted by both changing the length of the pushrods and shimming the rocker pedestals. Since you have shortened pushrods already this would leave adjusting the thickness of the shims under the pedestals. You would want to get you valves adjusted correctly before deciding if you need shims or not. As others said at half lift you want your adjusting screws to be approximately centered on the ends of the valve stems, if far off from this you would want to shim to correct it.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Got under the van and realized some push rods were riding the lifter edges instead of being in the lifters. Took the rockers off, put the engine 90 degrees BTDC on cylinders 1 and 3 like I mentioned earlier, and that did help recess the lifters deeper, which made fitment of pushrods and rockers easier. I did have to resort to using some rubber grommets as wedges between the cylinder and pushrods to keep them from falling out as I refit the rockers. Yes, I remembered to take the rubber grommets out before proceeding.

The adjusters on this kit are Allen head rather than flat blade screw type. I did 1 1/2 turns on the adjusters. Put the OEM valve covers back on and started the engine. It cranked over and ran. I do believe it needs 2 turns instead of 1 1/2 on this engine. I think there's some interference with the OEM valve covers still. I have aluminum covers arriving this afternoon, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Before fooling with the rockers my engine would crank over and idle at 900 RPM. Now it's cranking over and idling around 1,100 RPM.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Got under the van and realized some push rods were riding the lifter edges instead of being in the lifters. Took the rockers off, put the engine 90 degrees BTDC on cylinders 1 and 3 like I mentioned earlier, and that did help recess the lifters deeper, which made fitment of pushrods and rockers easier. I did have to resort to using some rubber grommets as wedges between the cylinder and pushrods to keep them from falling out as I refit the rockers. Yes, I remembered to take the rubber grommets out before proceeding.

The adjusters on this kit are Allen head rather than flat blade screw type. I did 1 1/2 turns on the adjusters. Put the OEM valve covers back on and started the engine. It cranked over and ran. I do believe it needs 2 turns instead of 1 1/2 on this engine. I think there's some interference with the OEM valve covers still. I have aluminum covers arriving this afternoon, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Before fooling with the rockers my engine would crank over and idle at 900 RPM. Now it's cranking over and idling around 1,100 RPM.

You would want 90° on the distributor, but 180° on the crank pulley.

I don't understand the whole 1 1/2 turn thingy. I have run 2 turns for a half million plus miles on these engines and have not experienced any of the problems some people claim to have had. I think its more that a lot of people blow finding the point of initial contact than a problem with the number of turns.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Silverghost500 wrote:

You would want 90° on the distributor, but 180° on the crank pulley.

I don't understand the whole 1 1/2 turn thingy. I have run 2 turns for a half million plus miles on these engines and have not experienced any of the problems some people claim to have had. I think its more that a lot of people blow finding the point of initial contact than a problem with the number of turns.

1-1 1/2-2 turns.. doesn't matter at all if we are talking about stock adjuster screws. My only thought would be to determine if the thread pitch is the same with the aftermarket reversed rockers. I don't think it is. The last thing one would want to do is inadvertently adjust valves too tight so they are held open. Remember that our valve clearances grow when at operating temp... not shrink so he's probably fine.

J
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

I performed another adjustment and it still doesn't sound right to me. It's idling steady at 950 range, which is where it was before I started this project. The exhaust header has a crack at a flange, and that doesn't help trying to diagnose by sound.

Here's a video of it after a test run. To me it sounds like there's still too much noise, even with the aluminum valve covers.

https://youtu.be/yJYFUXdoLHw

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

a leaking exhaust can make strange, almost metallic sounds and it will definitely mess up your O2 sensor>ECU mixture control. that said, it does sound too metallic but not really like a tappet clearance clack. photos would be helpful at this point.

if you had clearance issues with the steel covers, i'd guess there's LESS room with the aluminum ones, but that's just a guess.

i spent hours and hours on the bench getting my high ratio rockers to line up properly but i used shims everywhere. I know Mansi's kit is 'plug and play' with the springs on the rocker shaft but i would still go thru basic rocker setup geometry checking. lot's of online info on what to look for.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

Yeah, that exhaust manifold is toast. No sense trying to get it welded. Looks like a replacement is in my credit card's future.

When the engine cooled off I did another valve adjustment. Found some of the rockers still had some slop to them. Now the engine runs smoother. Here's a video after the valve adjustment and after the 2nd test drive:

https://youtu.be/Xvrp2GH2u8g

I can tell a difference in the drivability improvement. It's especially noticeable past 50mph. Where I felt like I had the gas pedal floored just to do 65 on this test route I was able to go over 70 mph and felt like I had more to give in the gas pedal.

Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratio Rocker Install Issues Reply with quote

The clearance issues I had with the OEM valve covers was inside the cover and the valve train. The inside of the new aluminum covers are a lot more open on the valve train side, so no clearance issues there. The aluminum covers sit taller than the OEM stamped steel, and have a squared off shoulder rather than the rounded off edges.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: