Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear license plate mount?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

Did Vanagons for the US market ever come with a license plate bracket on the engine access door?

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

Are you talking about the rear hatch access to the engine; or the rear access to the engine via the rear hatch
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

Chestercopperpot wrote:
Are you talking about the rear hatch access to the engine; or the rear access to the engine via the rear hatch

??

The spring-loaded access door below the liftgate.😁👍

Tornado Red
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Did Vanagons for the US market ever come with a license plate bracket on the engine access door?

everyone I have ever seen

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

I've seen numerous Plate doors with Universal type plate mounts on them put in with nasty Sheet metal screws. I don't think VW made a mount for it.

I've always just bolted my plates on with the nuts coming to the outside so you do not run you arm or hand over the exposed hardware.

With the plate mounted proud like that they seem to rub the bumper when you open the door as well.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:

Photo please?

Tornado Red
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:

Photo please?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516111

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

VW parts catalog doesn't show a bracket, but it appears some have installed the universal Beetle bracket: https://www.jbugs.com/product/3182.html?utm_conten...4wQAvD_BwE .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most license plates, including mine and Dad's, are screwed/bolted directly to the "inspection cover" (as VW called it). Both vans show no signs of ever having had a bracket of any kind.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

(above)...Much nicer post kamzcab86!

vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

They were dealer installed.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

RedRyder - Now I'm curious, where is the license plate on your van?

Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
RedRyder - Now I'm curious, where is the license plate on your van?

Like most ours is attached directly to the “inspection cover” via two short SS bolts with nylock nuts. The holes were obviously drilled after delivery to the US.

Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

I do find it curious how they don’t list a plate bracket fir the rear cover or for the front chrome bumper.

The models with the fiberglass bumpers have a large European sized mounting recess for a plate.

Yet the access door is sized for a North American sized plate.
The European plates once fastened must simply overhang the sides of the access door?

As a rule. When new vehicles were shipped overseas that all of the exterior “bits” were packaged in the trunk. Such things as exterior mirrors, hub caps, beauty rings, plate brackets, etc. and In the case of Mercedes Benz….. the three pointed hood star as well.
It was part of the Dealership PDI process to make the vehicle complete.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

All my T3s came with the bug type

However, I found that displacing the plate away from the oil/water hatch made it interfere with the bumper and so I drilled through the tin and went with SS bolts with the extra cut off and filed so no torn flesh.

Front bumper with Euro plate size recess, Dave? Don't know what you're talking about.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I do find it curious how they don’t list a plate bracket fir the rear cover or for the front chrome bumper.

The models with the fiberglass bumpers have a large European sized mounting recess for a plate.

Yet the access door is sized for a North American sized plate.
The European plates once fastened must simply overhang the sides of the access door?

VW certainly wasn't going to produce two different access doors, or two different bumpers just for license plate mounting, when all plates will attach to both locations without issue, despite the silly front bumper appearance to us Yanks.

The front metal bumper had a Euro-sized gap between the trim pieces, for fitting the plates (onto the front, or via an L-bracket mounted to the underside). The rear fiberglass bumper has a Euro-sized dip, for the plate to fit when the door is dropped.

Both front and rear Euro plates mount with a standard bracket (many, however, have simply mounted the plates like we do, directly onto the bumper or access door).

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

Interesting, I noticed that dip in the rear bumper but never made the Euro plate connection!
Sharp eye.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

I didn't get the rear bumper dip either. Thought it was for a step which I use frequently. Just never got around to putting some tread material on it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

My rear plate is screwed to a mounting bracket screwed to the inspection lid but it isn't the typical Beetle bracket.

Mine is more like a Pi sign
A horizontal bar at the top and two evenly spaced vertical bars below it.

Then down at the ID emission sticker the Pi sign bracket is screwed to the door itself ..... not ut and bolted...... sheet metal screwed!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I didn't get the rear bumper dip either. Thought it was for a step which I use frequently. Just never got around to putting some tread material on it.

I use that lowered portion as a step almost daily!

Glueing / Screwing a textured tread on it would be AMAZING! !

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear license plate mount? Reply with quote

The rear license plate holder installation was a required part of the pre-dilivery inspection as required and paid for by VWoA.
The US style plate can be be raised upwards roughly an inch by cutting a small notch in the top edge of the plate. This simple modification allows the the plate to better fit vertically.
My favorite plate holder is from a Volvo wagon.

They also have versions that fits only Euro sized plates and a third that will fit either a US or Euro plate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: