Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

hell yes.

I would love to do that with bugattis

Crankey wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Avantgarde for Audi, made by BBS. Fronts bored out to 66.6
17x8
3/16" spacer in front, 1/2" rear. Fronts need the spacer, rears don't really but the look better flushed out with the spacer.
Not something you can find easily, I just ran across them on the vortex. Really wish they were the 18" but at that time I thought 17's were ideal. Now I'd prefer slightly less tire sidewall. But good for winter tires, solid, simple shapes, easy to clean.
Tires 225/55/17.

S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

hell yes.

I would love to do that with bugattis

Crankey wrote:

Avantgarde for Audi, made by BBS. Fronts bored out to 66.6
17x8
3/16" spacer in front, 1/2" rear. Fronts need the spacer, rears don't really but the look better flushed out with the spacer.
Not something you can find easily, I just ran across them on the vortex. Really wish they were the 18" but at that time I thought 17's were ideal. Now I'd prefer slightly less tire sidewall. But good for winter tires, solid, simple shapes, easy to clean.
Tires 225/55/17.

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/26278416...361db167a2

These seem like a pretty good deal. I assume I'd need ~20mm spacers and new studs and bolts since it looks like A3s might use wheels with about ET50. I asked the seller to confirm the ET and centerhole size, but even if I have to buy spacers and all new hardware, it would still be a lot cheaper than just the estimated $350 shipping to get GW steelies up here to Alaska.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:
Experimenting with Chrysler Crossfire wheels, has anyone else done this yet?
These wheels bolt on without spacers but front greese cap won’t clear the wheel center cap. I had some 15mm spacers laying around and with those they clear.
Fronts could be tucked in some more, I have some ideas waiting for a day off. Sliding door opens but rubs and needs to be moved out a bit.
Currently front:
18 x 7.5 ET35 5x112 and 66.6mm centerbore
15mm spacers, M14x1.5x60mm small radius lug bolts
Nokian 225/50R18 99W XL 26.9” diameter. 215s will fit but they don’t come higher than 95 load rating.
Rear:
19 x 9 ET22 5x112 66.6mm centerbore
No spacers, 56mm studs and M14x1.5 small radius lug nuts
Pirelli Sottozero 255/40R19 104W XL 27” diameter.

Those look badass!!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hartmann Fuchs 19" replicas.
Got these off an Audi TT before I sold it.
19x8.5 and 19x10 with adaptors. Just one test fit adapter.
Not sure what the thickness was but I added 1/4" to the rear
1/4" clearance front and rear to the typical pinch points.
Tires are as they were on the TT and too short on the doka.
I will persue this further...test adapter returned but I'll be buying a set and look into getting tires later as money and time comes available.
Rears lean in a tad from camber and fit perfect, front could set in further, they poke out maybe 3/16" from hellaflush.
When t3 technique returns from vacation I'll move forward on adapters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wheels in the weeds with numbers...I'm going to buy a metric tape to do some figuring.
What's on the table is 2 sets of BBS RK wheels. All 17x8. ET35.
One set the faces sit near the lip and one set has the case set back about 2"
The set with the 2" set back is the wrong pcd...5x114.3
Concidering buying the set with the correct pcd but this screws up the ET numbers.
Also considering buying 2 flush fitting barrels for the front and doing some math to see if the flush fitting face and the set back barrel might for the rear. 🤔😐
Ending up with a staggered lip situation is fine, but having rear wheels stick out an inch or more isn't fine..😖
So far can't find a good way to re drill the centers I have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Winter is coming early to Anchorage it seems since there is significant snow up on the hillside and even was a dusting here near sea-level this momrning which is bumping new wheels and tires up to the top of my priority list. I found these and they look very promising:

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/wto/d/anchorage-studded-16-inch-tires-on-audi/7376725966.html

I'm not crazy about the looks and I'll need new hardware, but the offset (ET35) and ~3" centerhole should work just fine on my 2wd GL, right?

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
I'm not crazy about the looks and I'll need new hardware, but the offset (ET35) and ~3" centerhole should work just fine on my 2wd GL, right?

3" centerbore seems unlikely for those stock-appearing wheels. Take calipers with you when you go to check them out and budget for enlarging those bores.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
Winter is coming early to Anchorage it seems since there is significant snow up on the hillside and even was a dusting here near sea-level this momrning which is bumping new wheels and tires up to the top of my priority list. I found these and they look very promising:

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/wto/d/anchorage-studded-16-inch-tires-on-audi/7376725966.html

Being 16x7.5 ET35, you will need spacers on the front at a minimum, but recommended front and rear. The center bore on those wheels is not a problem.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Will-Dakar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm in New Zealand where we aren't allowed wheel spacers, stretched tyres or a total of 5% more rolling diameter.... it sucks especially as I'm originally from the UK where we can do literally anything, of well.

So I'm trying to find some wheels to fit my 1983 T25, T3, Vanagon camper.
After months of searching I have found these, will they bolt straight on or poke out too far? I also want to lower it 40mm

Brand: Porsche
Style: Macan
Size: 18x8 front and 18x9 rear
Offset: 21p front and rear
PCD: 5x112
CB : 66.5

Here is a link to the add
https://www.trademe.co.nz/3274475771

Thanks[/img]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Will-Dakar wrote:
After months of searching I have found these, will they bolt straight on or poke out too far? I also want to lower it 40mm

Unfortunately, you would face some issues with those wheels. For one, the offset is too lower and they would poke out quite a bit. The second issue is that I'm about 99.9% certain that the center caps will not fit and that you will face clearance issues with the front grease caps and the outer portion of the wheel's center bore where cap clips in. You would have to test fit them to be sure about that though. I'm certain about the offset being too low though and the wheels poking out though.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
heymistergray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

What's the story with these? atiwe T3 wheels on vwbulliparts.
looks like they haven't released them yet...

I bet they'd look good and they're 15x7 but they're ET 23 and seems a too-small offset for T3s

[/img]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

heymistergray wrote:

I bet they'd look good and they're 15x7 but they're ET 23 and seems a too-small offset for T3s

Atiwe is out of business. The made a fairly small run of those particular wheels just before the closed up shop. This happened a few years ago.

heymistergray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
heymistergray wrote:

Atiwe is out of business. The made a fairly small run of those particular wheels just before the closed up shop. This happened a few years ago.

oh interesting. vwbulliparts must have bought a lot of them or something.
Will-Dakar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Will-Dakar wrote:

Unfortunately, you would face some issues with those wheels. For one, the offset is too lower and they would poke out quite a bit. The second issue is that I'm about 99.9% certain that the center caps will not fit and that you will face clearance issues with the front grease caps and the outer portion of the wheel's center bore where cap clips in. You would have to test fit them to be sure about that though. I'm certain about the offset being too low though and the wheels poking out though.

That's a shame as the look awesome but thanks so much for the info

What about these? I worry the front may need a tiny spacer but sadly I cant do that.

Brand: Mercedes
Size: 16x7 & 16x8
Offset: 37p front and 32p rear
Tyres: 205/55R16 GT Radial HPX with 5mm and 225/50R16 GT Radial UHP AS with 6mm tread depth

SandwichKing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I picked up a 1971 Super Beetle back in January. Absolutely love it. First one I've bought.
I replaced all the steering linkage ie. tie rods and ends, center link, and steering damper and bushing and new ball joints. Swapped drums for disc up front and added adjustable struts to lower it 1.5 - 2 inches.
Took it to get it aligned and now the end of the bolt for the ball joint grinds on the inside of the right wheel when making a sharp right turn. Took it back to shop and was told the right wheel has a different backset than the others and/or the wheel is warped.

Any suggestions?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

SandwichKing wrote:
Any suggestions?

The right forum. Laughing
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Will-Dakar wrote:
Will-Dakar wrote:

That's a shame as the look awesome but thanks so much for the info

What about these? I worry the front may need a tiny spacer but sadly I cant do that.

Brand: Mercedes
Size: 16x7 & 16x8
Offset: 37p front and 32p rear
Tyres: 205/55R16 GT Radial HPX with 5mm and 225/50R16 GT Radial UHP AS with 6mm tread depth

For the rear, those wheels will bolt on with the use of longer studs and the correct lug nuts. For the front, if you use 205 tires, they MIGHT fit without spacers. I say might because the clearance gets so tight that due to differing tolerances between various vans, they may clear just fine on one van but not on another. You would simply have to test fit them on the front to be sure. At a minimum, you would need new front lug bolts and you would need to have the wheels balanced with stick on wheel weights on the inside to clear the knuckle. Also, the Mercedes center caps may not fit.

jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

WestiT3_1986 wrote:
Bloomquist wrote:
Does anyone know what these steelies are?

They look a bit bigger and I notice opposite the valve hole two of the oblong holes are actually round. Somewhat unique so was wondering if anyone has seen or can recognize that wheel?

Thanks for the help!

They seem to be 17" Mercedes GLA INfinity G30 rims:

All the data is in the pictures - ET38 6,5x17. Part Nr. A1564000000
66,6mm centre bore.

Problem will be the weight rating- they are only rated at max 590kg.

Nice find. What's the consensus with these, the load rating makes them a no-go?

Last edited by jb20thae on Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jb20thae wrote:
WestiT3_1986 wrote:
Bloomquist wrote:
Does anyone know what these steelies are?

They look a bit bigger and I notice opposite the valve hole two of the oblong holes are actually round. Somewhat unique so was wondering if anyone has seen or can recognize that wheel?

Thanks for the help!

They seem to be 17" Mercedes GLA INfinity G30 rims:

All the data is in the pictures - ET38 6,5x17. Part Nr. A1564000000
66,6mm centre bore.

Problem will be the weight rating- they are only rated at max 590kg.

Nice find. What's the consensus with these, the load rating makes them a no-go? They're readily available and come in a handful of colors/finishes.

590kg is 1300lbs. So across 4 of them thats 5200lbs. Since the GVWR(The max weight your vehicle can handles) on a Westfalia(Which should be at the heaviest end) is 5160lbs you should be fine with those. The only one that exceeds the weight limit on those rims is the Syncros which GVWR at 5512.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 167 of 173

Jump to: