Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

I went to several car shows lately and I believe bugs get the most visitors due to:

A high percentage of the population had one or rode in one, first drivers tested in one.

Many are older people that remember the smell.

Some are younger that like the fact it is such a different looking vehicle and they like turning heads.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Gotta have that smell!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Most of my friends are involved in the JDM scene, primarily being into Mazda or Nissan- Miatas, RX7s, 240/260Z, and the occasional Subaru like the WRX or Legacy series. I would usually tag along to local mixed make car meets, and park right next to cars that are much faster, nicer, and more expensive than mine. I consistently had more people of all ages pining over my car than the majority of the other cars there.

One of my favorite things about these meets is that the JDM guys seem to have an eye for the details the american car guys don't- the suspension details, wire routing, seat setup, engine configuration, etc. They tend to be much more interested and ask much more thoughtful questions.

The only hate I have ever gotten was from (newer model) Mustang guys and old Chevy guys. Mustang guys usually get ridiculed mercilessly at these get togethers for making fools of themselves anyway. The Chevy guys don't see any chrome in the engine bay, or see a four cylinder and lose interest pretty quickly.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Actually its campers that get the most.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Not sure about car shows as I have only attended VW ones but driving on the street our Manx copy is the one that turns all the heads and gets all the smiles!
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

I would have to agree that at any mixed show I go to, my beetle draws a lot of attention, a lot more in fact then I would have normally expected. And those shows also tend to draw out more ridiculous comments aimed at my car than at a dedicated VW show. My favorite in particular is the infamous "you know a Porsche motor will bolt right in!" Or, "I had one JUST LIKE yours! It was a 1978 Super beetle convertible blah blah blah..." Um, yeah sure ok... Rolling Eyes

One time I drove my Beetle to the Chattanooga British car club show, as I'm a member of my local British club here in Knoxville and everyone there loves my Beetle and has no problem when I take it to drives and meetups instead of my Sprite. However, even though several of my club members drove with me en-mass to the Chattanooga show, their club members refused to allow me entry. So I parked the Beetle right across in the adjacent parking lot, and didn't give them my $20 registration fee. No joke, every person who walked through and looked at the British cars would afterwards walk across the street to check out my Beetle. Eventually I just pulled out my chair and sat next to it and chatted with them and let them look and sit in the car. I'm sure that really ruffled the British people's feathers, but whatever. Twisted Evil

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
the infamous "you know a Porsche motor will bolt right in!"

Yup... hear it all the time. My reply is I spend a half as much and have three times the horse power.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

My experience is my Thing gets more attention/photo's (and wrong info...it floats, it's from WW2, etc.) but my Beetle gets more stories. Everyone over 40 has a Bug story.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

I have had my Manx clone and my sand rail in VW only meets but the car that really gets the attention at those events is my wife's daily driven Lupo!

Another thing that I found interesting is the attention given to the rusty Bugs and Busses claiming to be patina but when I showed my sand rail in all it's warts, scabs and wear no one seemed excited about that or called it patina. Patina apparently is not a "thing" for sand rails...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have had my Manx clone and my sand rail in VW only meets but the car that really gets the attention at those events is my wife's daily driven Lupo!

Another thing that I found interesting is the attention given to the rusty Bugs and Busses claiming to be patina but when I showed my sand rail in all it's warts, scabs and wear no one seemed excited about that or called it patina. Patina apparently is not a "thing" for sand rails...

Wikipedia sez:
In common parlance, weathering rust on steel is often mistakenly referred to as patina. Patina also refers to accumulated changes in surface texture and color that result from normal use of an object such as a coin or a piece of furniture over time.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

At one mostly American car show with 100s of entires my friends patina bus got best of show and tons of attention from people. My Squareback didn’t get a ton of attention and it was next to it and it’s OG paint. I think the busses and bugs have a lot of appeal in any condition over most other cars.

On the streets around where I’m at, if an American muscle passed me and I’m in my Squareback I will wave and 9/10 times they never wave back, a lot of the time I just get stared at and they never wave back because that wouldn’t be “cool” Laughing Actually, I think I’ve had one classic American car wave back at me besides my neighbor.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Bug-nut wrote:
the infamous "you know a Porsche motor will bolt right in!"

Yup... hear it all the time. My reply is I spend a half as much and have three times the horse power.

Yep, I remember Hot VWs magazine running an article how much more hp and for way less cot to build up a VW engine.

Me - I'm satisfied with the power of my 1835cc DP engine.

Bug-nut wrote:
I would have to agree that at any mixed show I go to, my beetle draws a lot of attention, a lot more in fact then I would have normally expected.

Yes, makes gas station visits an experience, folks want to talk about their past experiences with a VW. And similar has happened to me at places like picking up a pizza. So allow for extra time !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Trucks always seem to get a ton of attention at car shows. Hanging with my friend and his sc truck I heard a bunch of people ask “did you make this”. And afterwards they are always astonished at the great features. Depending on the crowd our bus with its sun faded paint and decals, will sometimes get more photos than a beautiful westy sitting right next to it. Younger people always ask us do you guys live in here?
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

The popularity of Vintage Volkswagen's through TV Shows , advertisement and product placement has made these vehicle a more "Cool Factor".
Vintage, Classic, Hot Rod, Muscle, Custom vehicles all have a rivalry, whether it's Horsepower, Big Bucks spent, etc. Car people know this well but the average non-car person looks at it differently. Practicality. I personally don't do these shows for winning something or recognition, I enjoy sharing the experience of the stories of others that had this or similar vehicle in the past. Those moments are worth more than any award or trophy, and keeps me maintaining my VW's for others to enjoy. It's quite awkward when you attend a Event or Show and your parked next to a vehicle that you know the person has a lot of time and money invested in and everyone is more interested in your VW. Volkswagen had it right with it's 1990's slogan ... FAHRVERGNUGEN - Driving Enjoyment, "it's what makes a car a VOLKSWAGEN"
Keep those VW Running and People Will Enjoy Them.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

We are just plain cool Cool
(mostly Laughing )

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
marknmelcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
One time I drove my Beetle to the Chattanooga British car club show, as I'm a member of my local British club here in Knoxville and everyone there loves my Beetle and has no problem when I take it to drives and meetups instead of my Sprite. However, even though several of my club members drove with me en-mass to the Chattanooga show, their club members refused to allow me entry. So I parked the Beetle right across in the adjacent parking lot, and didn't give them my $20 registration fee. No joke, every person who walked through and looked at the British cars would afterwards walk across the street to check out my Beetle. Eventually I just pulled out my chair and sat next to it and chatted with them and let them look and sit in the car. I'm sure that really ruffled the British people's feathers, but whatever. Twisted Evil

I'm involved with a small regional VW club. We are pretty un-pretentious. One of our members has a buggy, and his wife has an AMC Gremlin. Another fella just likes hanging out with the folks that are in our club. He has a Chevelle. It's not uncommon to see either at our VW events. They usually have a temporary VW logo they install for events - kinda incognito!!!

Seriously though - if folks are that intense and haven't figured out that it's about the people and the friendships and not the cars - they are a little too intense. That's my thoughts anyway!

/Mark
'15 Tiguan 4mo - 'Tig'
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

I recently attended a car show celebrating all makes and models. I think the only limitation was that the cars had to be over 25 years old. The organizers did a wonderful job and had many awards and gifts to give out furnished by local vendors.

My 67 Bug was actually the ONLY old, aircooled VW there, although there were a few 80's VW Cabrios and a number of Jags, MGs, Mercedes and BMWs in attendance.

I was thrilled to have so many people come see (and complement) my Bug and most had great things to say about their past experiences in old VWs. Clearly, many people simply can "relate" to these cars because they likely had one, or knew someone who did. Many had great stories to tell me, which I always find fascinating.

Interestingly, my But was the only imported car to win a top trophy that day and I have to think it was simply because of the "good vibes" it gave off to so many people. Getting the recognition is great, but it's the interaction with people that make this kind of car so nice to have.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

And every museum that does a car exhibit seems to *always* have a bug. Here I am recently at the modern art museum in New York. They also had a jeep, a Citroen, and a few others.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
todmeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Actually its campers that get the most.

I dunno Glen... My Ghia won "Best in Show" at a mixed car show a couple years ago.... Just sayin"
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever notice@ mixed vehicle car shows bugs get the most visitors Reply with quote

marknmelcom wrote:

Seriously though - if folks are that intense and haven't figured out that it's about the people and the friendships and not the cars - they are a little too intense. That's my thoughts anyway!
/Mark

I've gotten that vibe at both a small town car show (with my bus since I didn't have a British car) and with a VW camping group (bus was in the shop so we drove the F150 and 1954 Terry canned ham trailer instead), the snottiest comments came from the younger generation no less Rolling Eyes , an older member pointed out I'd become a member of the group when they were still babies - and reminded them that it was more about camaraderie than what we drove to get there...

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: