Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChillPhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Need to take my 2003 Eurovan Weekender from San Francisco to Bend, Oregon (transmission problems, natch). I have another Eurovan, a 2000 Weekender (that I’m planning to sell once the work is done). I was thinking of having the 2003 transported to Bend, but then I realized the tow rating of the Eurovan is right about the same weight as...a Eurovan! It’s cutting it close, but is it possible to tow a Eurovan with a Eurovan? I could then tow my Eurovan to Bend, saving about $800...worth it?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

The Siskiyous should be interesting, but it seems plausible. Does the '00 have an external trans cooler?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Went through Klamath falls last year comeing back north and seemed far less hilly than the Siskiyous on I5. More likely the route you may want to take anyway on highway 97.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

ChillPhill wrote:
Need to take my 2003 Eurovan Weekender from San Francisco to Bend, Oregon (transmission problems, natch). I have another Eurovan, a 2000 Weekender (that I’m planning to sell once the work is done). I was thinking of having the 2003 transported to Bend, but then I realized the tow rating of the Eurovan is right about the same weight as...a Eurovan! It’s cutting it close, but is it possible to tow a Eurovan with a Eurovan? I could then tow my Eurovan to Bend, saving about $800...worth it?

I tow with my T4 all of the time. I will assume that you are towing with a tow dolly which most often do not have any brakes. I'm a big fan and frankly an advocate for trailer brakes. Towing something as heavy or slightly heavier than the tow vehicle without trailer brakes in very hilly territory is risky IMHO for both you and the other motorists.
ChillPhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Great tips, thanks! The question is that I’ve heard the Eurovan is tow rated at about 4,400lbs...which is almost exactly what a Eurovan weighs. So theoretically it would be possible, but its very close to the max rated weight. I don’t have a transmission cooler, but I’m happy to take it VERY slowly.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Does the 2000 T4 EuroBus have the VR6 engine?

You need trailer brakes over 1500-200 pounds otherwise it’s unsafe.

You will need to disconnect driveshafts on the towed vehicle I found if it’s a flats tow
ChillPhill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

@abscate: Yes, it does have the VR6 Engine. I have a class 2 powered tow hitch installed. I was planning on putting it on a tow dolly, but juar noq looking at UHaul's they are max rated to 3,450 lbs, so I actually may be out of luck! A full auto transport trailer adds another 2,000 lbs, so that's a total of 6,000 pounds to pull, which is way more than the max rating for the T4. Sad
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Disconnecting the axles is mandatory for autos but you need the front wheels bearings to be reloaded so you would need some "donor" CVs to keep them torqued otherwise you could ruin them.

UHaul is very fussy with what you tow with and what you are towing. Surely a liability detail.

I suggest signing up with U-ship. It's free. Throw up your details and get some real world pricing. You may be pleasantly surprised. The other option is to look up on Craigslist in the service section. Maybe some private guy is headed north empty and would be glad for a load.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

How about renting a Uhall.truck.and a dolly.it will be cheaper than a broken tranny....these trannys are iffy at best let alone towing its own weight on such a long trip...Mine (93) has a hitch and I see they.changed the.tranny to.a stick & now I need a clutch...I`ve hauled lots of vechicles with my bays n splits but eurovans are cantankerous beasts...Good Luck.Bill
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Rather than start another thread-

Found a 2003 Passat Wagon we're wanting to buy. Leaky water pump so needs a timing belt kit to be driveable. Problem is, it's about 6 hours away in Colorado; I'm in Kansas (so it would be mostly downhill! ha)

I do own a tow dolly.

How crazy would it be to take our 2003 Eurovan to tow this thing home?

I don't think the auto trans has a cooler, but I have very recently changed the filter and fluid. It seems to shift fine and all that.

IF we did it, tips on how to best drive? I know slow down. Would it help or hurt things to keep it in 3rd rather than 4th? Perhaps only if it is constantly shifting between the two to try to maintain speed? (That's my inclination-leave it in 4th unless it keeps trying to shift down.)

Other thoughts to keep in mind?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Dave ….4 hours each way

Delivered Silver with a rebuilt engine

Picked up next project.

About 3600 pounds vehicle weight each

Drive at 60 mph
Drop into 3rd if it’s shifting a lot
Stop every 2 hours
Check the rear lug nuts at stops

See thread on transmission temps

I love the smell of billing for both drag and drop….twice in the same trip….smells like……victory.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Eurovan tow ... a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Is that a S70 Volvo? That's the only car I've owned worse that a Eurovan. It left me stranded and walking home often. I wish u the best with that pojunk. They have a similar auto tranny and a crazy fuel injection. At least my EV only made me tow it home once on almost five years (stuck & frozen a/c compressor) the Volvo did that several times in the 2 years I owned it. Even my Renault Dauphine was better than the Volvo.. Nice car when they run tho. I wouldn't do much towing w your EV auto. Cheaper to Hire it done in the long run.. Good luck ..VDubs forever Bill in PR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: