Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Archway in St Louis
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Archway Imports in St Louis has closed down? Nobody is answering the phone. and that's unusual for them.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

A quick search on Google says it’s permanently closed.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

I saw that when I searched for their phone number but was wondering if anybody here knew if that was true from real-life experience. I'd also be interested in details about what happened and if they have anything lined up to honor any warranty for recent purchases.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

Thought he was grooming his kid to take over. Guess I picked a good time to sell my junk and buy a rv.
Several years ago Jim’s right hand man left and started Midwest air cooled and machine near Arnold,mo.
Back in 88, archways current location was a bakery that did our wedding cake.
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

Thanks for the response cbeck.

In my handful of times dealing with the shop, Jim and the other folks there were friendly and helpful. Weird that they just shut down. Hopefully the SP1600 I bought in January gives me no trouble.

I'm on the waiting list to get into Midwest Aircooled but that will be several months from now.

That location on Telegraph seemed pretty oddly-laid out for an auto shop.
MGKrebbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

I've notice the windows covered with paper recently. Next week, maybe I'll get out and read the signs on the door.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

I wouldn’t worry about that engine. He had been doing it for over 40 years, first with his brother as co owners of the buggy shop in south county, and then on his own as owner of archway. He has done 4 motors for me since 85. Somebody is going to score, he had some nice machines in the basement. Last time I was in the basement, there must have been over 100 cases, and all kind of neat stuff from the 70’s and 80’s. Lifetime accumulation of neat shit.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

Drove by on Monday, windows covered over, outside fiberglass buggy gone, sign on the door but the lot had been sealed and roped off. Did not get close enough to read the sign.
Lets go back 35 years when jim still ran the buggy shop. There was a baker in that storefront that did my (our) wedding cake.
Wnky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

I just hope Jim is ok......
Wnky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

website is gone, no more phone , sign on the door,... I have been in the basement there and there was about three semi's full of every kind of part you can imagine... wonder where all of that went
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

So where do you shop for VW parts or machine shop services in greater St. Louis area ?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

I don't, sold everything vw related. Midwest air cooled and machine is about the only real shop around that I know of. He is special though, since his race car was in db@hvw like a decade ago.
Edit. Just a first impression, have never used him.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
So where do you shop for VW parts or machine shop services in greater St. Louis area ?

Not having a local parts shop any more suuuuucks. I have been working on my new 2084 build for the last couple months now and every time I need some simple VW specifice part to continue the build, I need to wait 7-10 for it to ship from a warehouse in SoCal or Florida. Loosing our only local supply shop has definitely added a few weeks to build.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Archway in St Louis Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Not having a local parts shop any more suuuuucks. I have been working on my new 2084 build for the last couple months now and every time I need some simple VW specifice part to continue the build, I need to wait 7-10 for it to ship from a warehouse in SoCal or Florida. Loosing our only local supply shop has definitely added a few weeks to build.

Try www.Bughaus.com there is no need to source parts from over 2000 miles away
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: