Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan camper transmission problem
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobtivel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Eurovan camper transmission problem Reply with quote

Hi. New to the forum and hoping for suggestions.
Just made a 400 mile mostly highway trip in our 2001 pop top camper. Didn't have any problems until we stopped at our mailbox on the return. Upon acceleration the van would barely move forward. Made it to its parking spot with a little coaxing. Reverse seems to be fine. Have been reading on the net for a few hours now looking at common problems. I'm fairly mechanical and did an oil/filter change 38,000 miles ago. Not afraid to tackle a valve body replacement but that would probably be my limit. The van now has 109,000 miles. It seems to have had no issues in the 12 years we've owned it. Hoping this will be an easier issue than a rebuild. I don't have a VAG scanner only an OBD2. I'll check the fluid level tomorrow although I have not noticed any leaks. Any advice or direction would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper transmission problem Reply with quote

bobtivel wrote:
Hi. New to the forum and hoping for suggestions.
Just made a 400 mile mostly highway trip in our 2001 pop top camper. Didn't have any problems until we stopped at our mailbox on the return. Upon acceleration the van would barely move forward. Made it to its parking spot with a little coaxing. Reverse seems to be fine. Have been reading on the net for a few hours now looking at common problems. I'm fairly mechanical and did an oil/filter change 38,000 miles ago. Not afraid to tackle a valve body replacement but that would probably be my limit. The van now has 109,000 miles. It seems to have had no issues in the 12 years we've owned it. Hoping this will be an easier issue than a rebuild. I don't have a VAG scanner only an OBD2. I'll check the fluid level tomorrow although I have not noticed any leaks. Any advice or direction would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure there is much to do that you have not listed.
-Fluid level. Warm temp not hot 120F(?)., Level ground.
-Shift linkage
-Drain and fill fluid. Filter. Would not machine flush.
-Valve body. Ribbon cable
-Maybe disconnect battery.

Best of luck. Please report back.
bobtivel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper transmission problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply MrPulldown.
Took it in to a local shop specializing in Vw's and other European makes. They scanned it and found no codes or faults and said in need of a rebuild. I did check the fluid level and it seemed fine. I'll get back to it and check the shift linkage. I assume that is accessed under the vehicle. I've made an appointment with German Transaxle in bend for a rebuild and will be trailering the van there next week (June Cool. 400 mile trip. If I could find a easier fix by then I would be ecstatic. If a rebuild is imminent I was also told I should do timing chains at the same time. I'll probably have to wait on that. Do you know what their average life would be. Thanks
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper transmission problem Reply with quote

Lots of variation on trans and timing chain life, my own experience on 2 VR6 EV’s was timing chain noise at 130k miles on the 12V version, and very light noise at 105k on the 24V version. I had to go through the trans on the 24V, so I did the chains ‘while I was in there’. That slight noise actually had missing teeth on one of the gears. It probably could have run for a long time, but I’m glad I replaced everything.

And redid the CV joints, and the upper and lower ball joints, and the inner and outer tie rods, engine mounts, oil seals, hoses, well, you know, while you are in there....
bobtivel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper transmission problem Reply with quote

I ended up towing the van on a U-haul car trailer (just fit) to German Transaxle of America in Bend, Oregon. The folks there were great. Gave me a tour of the shop and were very straight forward on what needed to be done and how much it would cost. They replaced the transmission and installed a new torque converter and oil cooler. Luckily my TCM matched the transmission code and could be used again. I've now made four camping trips with the van and everything seems to be functioning well. I am satisfied the work done and recommend GTA for VW transmission work.
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan camper transmission problem Reply with quote

Just had the tranny on my 02 EVC rebuilt at GTA a few weeks before you. The tranny is so far working great. Good folks at GTA - easy and straight forward to deal with. Glad they are there! Not many VW shops want to touch Eurovan trannies anymore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: